The NHL Off-Season Thread Starts With a Bang

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Asher View Post
    Not sure how he'd fit in the cap space...
    That was my first thought. I assume the would have to make some room for him, but what would this involve?

All in all, not such an exciting day for trades, plenty of swapping picks between teams, but nothing to really write home about there, and only a couple of player moves, but maybe this is what draft day should be cause when there are a lot fo player moves they almost overshadow the draft picks.

[action=Sparrowhawk][/action]
    "Clearly I'm missing the thread some of where the NFL actually is." - Ben Kenobi on his NFL knowledge

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparrowhawk View Post
      That was my first thought. I assume the would have to make some room for him, but what would this involve?
      He just got rid of Jim Vandermeer, saving $1.8M in cap space. Cammy is gone, that's another $5M...
      "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
      Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

He just got rid of Jim Vandermeer, saving $1.8M in cap space. Cammy is gone, that's another $5M...
        ya and get a full year of jokkinen at full cap hit plus raises for a number of other guys IRRC

Exclusive negotiiating rights aren't very much when its a free agent who seems to want to test the market-- I guess thats why we didn't give up much

I did wonder about the "move down" move in round 1. I can only figure that Sutter has a couple of guys in mind and didn't care which one OR he was pretty confident that his chosen player wasn't likely to be picked by the intervening teams

Losing Leopold? he was ok but barely cracked the top 4-- Perhaps the Flames thinking is just to have a few workhorses Boumeister, Phaneuf and Regehr for instance and then let some of the rookies/young guys play-- ie Pardy, Gio, Negrin etc etc would be able to fill out the minutes

I don't really think they can get Boumeister but stranger things have happened-- The Flames did need PP help last year
        You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

• One of the theories I've heard is that Sutter will trade Phaneuf to someone for a top-end young forward with a lower salary. But this theory is from someone who thinks Phaneuf is the next Jovo.
          "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

• Meanwhile, the Sedins still want $63M over 12 years each.

Comment

Meanwhile, the Sedins still want $63M over 12 years each.

Lots of dough there-- Is it a requirement for them to go to the same place AND make identical money

Oh and the latest rumour has Burke and the Leafs taking a run at the sedins if they don't sign with the Canucks-- The theory is that the Leafs have loads and loads of cap space so one way or another they will be making some buig free agent signings
              You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

• Plus Burke loves the Sedins for some reason. He drafted them both, after all, after some legendary wrangling to get them both at 2nd and 3rd overall.

Comment

• Originally posted by Flubber View Post
                  Lots of dough there-- Is it a requirement for them to go to the same place AND make identical money
                  I think that's what they want, and they have their choice of 30 teams in 2 days. Likely they will get what they desire.

Funny if they are what the Kings spend the cap dollars on.

The Leafs would be even funnier.
                  (\__/)
                  (='.'=)
                  (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

• Flames are making Jay Bouwmeester an offer today.
                    Canucks have made the Sedins an offer.

Comment

• Looks like the Rangers and Canadiens are swapping Gomez for Higgins.
                      "The French caused the war [Persian Gulf war, 1991]" - Ned
                      "you people who bash Bush have no appreciation for one of the great presidents in our history." - Ned
                      "I wish I had gay sex in the boy scouts" - Dissident

Comment

• Not worth that money. The Canucks did just fine with their youth movement.

I think it's time to go the whole hog and ditch the Sedins.
                        Last edited by Ben Kenobi; June 30, 2009, 17:32.
                        Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                        "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                        2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

• Demitra - Sundin - Burrows
                          Raymond - Kesler - Hansen
                          Grabner - Wellwood - Bernier
                          Rypien - Johnson - Hordichuk.

Are the lines I'd like to see. Bump up Raymond + Hansen + Grabner.

Trade the twins for 2 d men.
                          Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                          "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."

Comment

• With the twins, you are looking at this:

Sedin- Sedin - Burrows
                            Demitra - Sundin - Raymond
                            Hansen - Kesler - Bernier
                            Rypien - Johnson - Hordichuk.

And you leave Hodgson and Grabner down another year.

Comment

• Also, I'm disappointed Calgary ditched Keenan. I was looking forward to getting another deal like Bert for Luongo.

Comment

• Canucks desperately need some high-end scoring if they can't sign the Sedins. Gaborik is a virtual lock in that case, although I'm worried he's just too fragile. I wouldn't be surprised if Cammalleri is also signed. If Calgary can't sign Bouwmeester, I'd say Vancouver is the next logical stop. I doubt Sundin is particularly high on Gillis' priority list.
                                "The French caused the war [Persian Gulf war, 1991]" - Ned
                                "you people who bash Bush have no appreciation for one of the great presidents in our history." - Ned
                                "I wish I had gay sex in the boy scouts" - Dissident

Comment

Working...
                                X