ModCast Episode 29: "Penal Colony"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ModCast Episode 29: "Penal Colony"

With no guest co-hosts and short one regular guest co-host, the insanity is more unpredictable than usual. The twenty-ninth episode of PolyCast, an official podcast of Apolyton Civilization Site (ACS), is now netcasting. Entitled "Penal Colony", it features core panelists Tony "GarretSidzaka" Kiehl, Kenneth "Impaler[WrG]" Ferland and John "bt_oz" Archer.

An official podcast of Apolyton Civilization Site, ModCast is an ongoing effort to give the Civ community an interactive voice on Civilization modding; sibling show PolyCast focuses on Civ strategy and RevCast focuses on Civilization: Revolution. To date, ACS is the only community on the web to produce its own Civilization podcasts.
    PolyCast Co-Host, Owner and Producer: entertaining | informing civ
    >> PolyCast (Civ strategy), ModCast (Civ modding), TurnCast (Civ multiplay); One More Turn Dramedy

Summary of Topics

- 01m07s | Code Corner
    On Orion's Inquisition Mod ver 2.00E by OrionVeteran with backstory, and Tsentom1 Python Wonders by tsentom1.
    - 25m38s | Modding Spotlight
    For the Civilization IV stand-alone expansion pack Colonization, Australian Colonization v. 0.25.
    PolyCast Co-Host, Owner and Producer: entertaining | informing civ
    >> PolyCast (Civ strategy), ModCast (Civ modding), TurnCast (Civ multiplay); One More Turn Dramedy

Comment

Thanks Dan!!
      ModCastNewest Episode!
      Beyond the Sword: Road to War Art Development

Second Revolution 3.0 Creator

Comment

guys ... 1Kg = 2.2046lb. That is what you have if your father runs a meat selling firm and weight conversion is a big thing!
        Quote: "All Happiness is the release of internal pressure"
        Visit my Civ IV web site for information on mods that I am involved with or use and other Civ IV tools
        woo hoo! My wife publishes her first book. Buy it now in paperback format at lulu and help me retire so I can write more BUG mod code.

Comment

AAAH so that's how fat i am
          ModCastNewest Episode!
          Beyond the Sword: Road to War Art Development

Second Revolution 3.0 Creator

Comment

Thanks for this, it will add some great publicity for my mod.

I have taken the time to record a response to your analysis of my mod. You will find it linked here from CivFanatics.
            Dear ModCast Crew,

I was honoured to hear you were featuring my mod on your modcast, but I think you were overly harsh on it due to some misinformation.

Firstly, my name is PiMan, because of the number Pi. Just thought I'd clarify that.

Also, you criticised my choice of leaders, so I ask you this: Why did Colonization's development team choose Washington and Adams as leaders for the English Colonies? Obviously, it is because they were the first presidents of the United States. Similarly, I chose Barton and Deakin, as they were Australia's first Prime Ministers after independence, and they played significant roles in achieving Australia's independence.
            Choosing Admiral Phillip as leader makes only a little more sense than choosing Captain Edward Maria Wingfield as leader of the English in vanilla Colonization. Phillip will however be a founding father when I change those.

You mentioned the presence of Dutch and German colonies on Australia before the Enlgish arrived, this is just not true. While they did explore the western and northern coastlines and even make landfall a few times, they did not create a long term colony. The British were the first Europeans to stay in Australia.

You criticised my inclusion of the Maori of New Zealand, whom weren't even in my mod. I included the Murri of Queensland, which you would have realised if you had just used Wikipedia, or even read the Civilopedia entry in game (which was just copied from Wikipedia anyway).
            And I could have included the Maori if I wanted to anyway, since New Zealand was officially part of New South Wales until 1840.

And many Aboriginal Australians would be offended by you saying there were no native groups. Perhaps they weren't nations in the same way as natives in the Americas, but there were specific regions with specific names.
            The native nations I used are the traditional names used by Aboriginal people in their respective areas, while individual city names are the traditional tribe names within each area.

The flags I chose to be behind each leader were there for a reason.
            Barton had the Australian Federation Flag, designed in 1831, as it was Barton's preference to be the official flag of the new Australian nation.
            Deakin had the Australian Flag (as it was during his time as Prime Minister).
            Lalor had the Eureka Flag, because Lalor is most famous for being leader of the Eureka Stockade, when the flag was first used.

Your analysis wasn't all bad though. I will take into consideration the inclusion of opals, although not the expense of gold. Because gold was far more important to Australia's history than opals. As a result of the gold rush of the 1850s, Melbourne's population increased several fold within a decade to more than 500,000.

Thank you again for featuring my mod on your modcast, perhaps you would like to take another look in a few months when the mod will hopefully be closer to version 1.0

Best regards, PiMan.
            The linked file you see here is just an ogg file zipped up. I use it because it is better quality than mp3.

Comment

piman, heres a link for you to view about the dutch colonies in australia

around 1850's and have a read about western australia and small

colony that was there long before the english arrived on the east coast

of australia ok mate!

Comment

I figured I could pick apart your ModCast here as well as over there so, here goes:

Great Job again guys. I really liked hearing your opinions on tsentsom1's Wonders. I relly like them as well.

Keep up the great work on this show too.
                You Learn Something New Every Day!
                Member of the ARDA MOD (LOTR)

Comment

OK, clearly I missed that in my research, however that doesn't mean they should be included in my mod to any degree. What would I name the cities? I'd need at least 15 cities names for practicality's sake.

Comment

Originally posted by PiMan View Post
                    And many Aboriginal Australians would be offended by you saying there were no native groups. Perhaps they weren't nations in the same way as natives in the Americas, but there were specific regions with specific names.
                    The native nations I used are the traditional names used by Aboriginal people in their respective areas, while individual city names are the traditional tribe names within each area.
                    Yeah - I forgot to mention that there are tribal names for the Aboriginal people. The average white Australian is not aware of this (to their determent) because they have limited contact with Aboriginals. According to wiki, the population is only 2.6% of the Australian population, or just over 500k.
                    Visit my Civ IV web site for information on mods that I am involved with or use and other Civ IV tools
                    woo hoo! My wife publishes her first book. Buy it now in paperback format at lulu and help me retire so I can write more BUG mod code.

Comment

No doubt all 'new' countries have stories about how they treated the native inhabitants (America & Native Americans, Canada & Inuit, New Zealand & Maori, Australia & Aborinals, etc) not to mention other conflicts (African Americas). Similarly to 'old' countries and the 'conflicts' / 'situations' involved there (Israel, Russia, Soviet Union, etc).

I cannot talk to the vast majority of these issues but I have some experience regarding the Australia & Aboriginals. For the interested party, a movie that covers one of the major (& relatively modern!) issues is Rabbit-Proof Fence ("In 1931, three aboriginal girls escape after being plucked from their homes to be trained as domestic staff and set off on a trek across the Outback" Quote: www.imdb.com) - a situation where the Government of the day was trying to improve the living conditions of Aboriginals but failed in the execution.

Comment

Working...
                      X