2194 Days of War Scenario

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2194 Days of War Scenario

Well found myself a Civ 2 Multiplayer Gold Edition on ebay. Down loaded 2194 everything works fine but the units have wrong names ie. mech Infantry is Helicopter. Number of moves etc is right but names are wrong. Any ideas out there? Thanks John

Originally posted by John Boc View Post
    Well found myself a Civ 2 Multiplayer Gold Edition on ebay. Down loaded 2194 everything works fine but the units have wrong names ie. mech Infantry is Helicopter. Number of moves etc is right but names are wrong. Any ideas out there? Thanks John
    The units are listed in rules.txt. Perhaps your version has been corrupted, or maybe you are not accessing the correct one.

RJM
    Fill me with the old familiar juice

Comment

You have to run a batch file (2194days.bat) which has an icon like two cogs. This will load the relevant rules, graphics and events files into the scenario folder automatically. When you start the game then you should see the correct names.

If you are running Vista or XP the batch file (which I believe is an MS DOS application) will not run unless you have the CHOICE application (or whatever its technical title is) in the scenario folder too. Here is the CHOICE thingy:
      Attached Files
      SCENARIO LEAGUE FORUM
      SCENARIO LEAGUE WIKI SITE
      SL INFORMATION THREAD
      CIV WEBRING MULTIPLAYER FORUM

Comment

It does not seem to work for me, when I click the Choice thing, it is jusy a y/n.

When i try either of them, then click the red front batch file, everything shuts down, no selection is made.

Does something else have to be done to make it work?
        I believe Saddam because his position is backed up by logic and reason...David Floyd
        i'm an ignorant greek...MarkG

Comment

You don't need to click the Choice file at all, just put it into the same folder as the batch file (IE the 2194 Days scenario folder) and then double click the batch file. If you have the choice file in the same folder then a MS DOS window should open and ask you to press 1,2,3 etc... to select a rules set. When you pick an option the relevant files will automatically be re-named and you can then begin the scenario.

If you don't have the Choice file in the folder then the small black MS Dos window will appear for a split second but disappear before you can read or select any of the options. I think there is a location on your hard-drive where you can put the Choice file so it will allow MS Dos to work anywhere on your computer, but I can't remember where that is so I just put it in each scenario folder.

The Choice file just allows windows XP and Vista to run the MS Dos batch file. This scenario was probably created on a Windows 98 OS which I guess could run MS Dos files automatically and hence there was no need to include the Choice file in the scenario folder. The Choice file is like a patch to allow MS Dos to work on XP. Don't quote me on this as I am no expert, but it seems logical.

Just out of interest you can take a look at how the batch file works by right clicking on the icon and selecting edit. This will open the batch file as a notepad document. You can then see how the commands actually work. Of course this is not necessary to get the thing to work, but it might be interesting if your are the inquisitive type
          SCENARIO LEAGUE FORUM
          SL INFORMATION THREAD

Comment

Not working for me.

I also tried it with 'red front' and got the same thing, the entire thing shuts down.
            I believe Saddam because his position is backed up by logic and reason...David Floyd

Comment

Thats no good. Lots of the best CivII scenarios use batch files.

One work around would be to manually rename all the files. I would suggest you create a backup folder to keep all the variable files in (IE In Red Front there is: Units 1-9, Events 1-9, Rules 1-9, wterrain 1&2, sterrain 1&2, sCities and wCities). Whenever a change over is due just delete the Units, Rules, Events, Terrain 1&2 and Cities files, copy the needed files from the backup folder and paste them into the main scenario folder and rename them to: Units, Rules, Events, Terrain 1, Terrain 2 and Cities. You would also need to drag your save game and drop it onto the DELEVENT application to reset the events memory.

This method would work but is a little long winded. The batch file is designed to do all the moving, renaming and resetting automatically.

So are you still getting the MS Dos window pop up for a split second?

Have you put the Choice.com application into the folder along with the batch file in the main scenario folder (IE Into the Red Front scenario folder)?

I cannot see why it is not working I would definitely keep experimenting as Red Front is a classic
              SCENARIO LEAGUE FORUM
              SL INFORMATION THREAD

Comment

Nothing appears, it shuts the scenario folder down, the entire screen goes blank (even my desk top short cuts vanish for a moment) and slowly they return.

I'm convinced it has to be some setting on my PC that is causing this, but I don't know enough about XP to even begin to guess what it could be.

I have been manually renaming files for years to play certain scenarios, red front is a bit much for that however with so many changes to be made, but it could be done just not without a lot of trouble. Plus I'm not sure the delevent will work either.

Comment

I think that dragging and dropping onto the Delevent should work as long as you re-load the save file afterwards. The CivII engine will read the new events file and start from there. You're right about the number of changes required for Red Front being a bit much to ask for a manual changeover of files. I have not had the same experience as you when I try to run batch files so I am afraid I have given all the assistance I can. Anybody else have an idea what might be causing this problem?
                  SCENARIO LEAGUE FORUM
                  SL INFORMATION THREAD

Comment

Open your Red Front scenario window, print the screen (alt+PrntScrn will only print the active window) and paste it here. I'll see if I can help you.
                    Indifference is Bliss

Comment

Thanks for that CHOICE file, McMonkey. That's why I love this website - almost any problem you have has probably already been answered in a helpful manner.

Comment

Working...
                      X