This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BHG For Sale... or Closure

First it was disclosed that layoffs were coming, and now the word is that if game developer Big Huge Games is not sold in the near future, owner THQ will have to close it as part of $200US million in cost cutting measures. This was confirmed by their Vice President, Investor Relations and Corporate Communications, in correspondence to Crispy Gamer.

BHG was purchased by THQ just thirteen months ago and became a wholly owned subsidiary. Founded in 2000 by Civilization II and Alpha Centauri designer Brian Reynolds, while at MicroPROSE and Firaxis Games respectively, its first title was the real-time strategy game Rise of Nations released in 2003.
    PolyCast Co-Host, Owner and Producer: entertaining | informing civ
    >> PolyCast (Civ strategy), ModCast (Civ modding), TurnCast (Civ multiplay); One More Turn Dramedy

Rise of Nations was a master class in bad game design.

Comment

Dang

Sad Indeed!
      Hi, I'm RAH and I'm a Benaholic.-rah

Comment

This is sad
        Rise of Nations was great, it had some design flaws, but overall it was a great game
        This space is empty... or is it?

Comment

Originally posted by Grandpa Troll View Post
          Dang

Sad Indeed!
          Originally posted by Adagio View Post
          This is sad
          QFT.
          >> PolyCast (Civ strategy), ModCast (Civ modding), TurnCast (Civ multiplay); One More Turn Dramedy

Comment

Is there someone around here with enough influence in 2K Games to convince them to buy BHG?

Firaxis and BHG working from the same offices would be an ideal outcome of this...
            Ceeforee v0.1 - The Unofficial Civ 4 Editor -= Something no Civ Modder should ever be without =- Last Updated: 27/03/2009
            "Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean there's no conspiracy"

Comment

Originally posted by MMC View Post
              Is there someone around here with enough influence in 2K Games to convince them to buy BHG?

Firaxis and BHG working from the same offices would be an ideal outcome of this...
              I see positives and negatives in this.

Perhaps if Firaxis did buy them out, keep the BHG Title and help influence them in marketing while letting them maintain their integrity in games being produced.

im a die hard Civ fan, but a lot needs working on in this whole series...

Sorry that BHG has fallen on this sad state of affairs

Comment

Bad news indeed! RON was a great continuation of the historical RTS genre. It did well critically, but deserved to do better in sales.

I hope Brian Reynolds and his team can fetch up somewhere good and get back to making quality games.
                "lol internet" ~ AAHZ

Comment

RON was great.
                  Kids, you tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try. -Homer

Comment

Time will ultimately tell what becomes of BHG as a current studio of game development.

If it does close, I hope its employees are able to find work in this field in short order afterwards.

Comment

Well, if nothing else it means I'd better get the hell moving on those game mods, learning how to mod stuff and so forth. If BHG goes under, the modding community will only get smaller, and I better get that expertise before it completely disappears.

RON RIP

BHG RIP
                      "lol internet" ~ AAHZ

Comment

Man I hope this turns around

Would be sad if it didnt

we read about closings all the time, not just as a supplier of games we purchase but the familes behind the scens, what will become of them?

Time will tell, but perhaps they will be fine

Comment

縁結び神社の熊野神社をご紹介!熊野神社のレビューや交通情報から、古の伝説まで情報満載!縁結びならお任せください!

Good news?

JM
                          Jon Miller-
                          I AM.CANADIAN
                          GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Well, they're still alive at least. That's something to be thankful for.
                            "lol internet" ~ AAHZ

Comment

Originally posted by Alinestra Covelia View Post
                              Well, they're still alive at least. That's something to be thankful for.
                              Quoted for Truth!

Would love to see 'em expound upon RON:TAP

Comment

Working...
                              X