Modding Noob Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Modding Noob Questions

Despite I'm still a noob Civ4 player I'd like to get into modding stuff. After all that's what I enjoyed most in all other civ parts

So far I already read a couple of threads and tuts here and at CFC. I try to do a little medieval scn/mod for myself, nothing big, just to learn how things work. However, it's quite a challenge. Some questions:

1. First I dl-ed a custom map, then used the WB to place cities etc. I looked into the mods coming with BTS, and so I put my mod folder under Civ4/BTS/mods/. Therein I created a PublicMaps folder, dropped my WBSave in to have it as map. Is that basically ok?

2. Now of course I want to do a couple of more things: first, edit the tech tree. XML is new for me, but from what I read it seems not too difficult. For the first scn I thought I'd start with the BTS tree, just edit some names for medieval flavour. Would it be enough to create the folder mymod\Assets\XML\Technologies\, drop in copies of the XMLs Civ4TechInfo and Civ4TechSchema to edit them. I mean will the mod just use these automatically then?

3. Similarly if you want to customize civs and units, can you just copy the BTS XML files that have to do with these aspects into your mod\Assets\XML folder, then edit them to your liking? If that's basically how it works I'd just need to figure out which files exactly cover what, but the CivWiki provides some help, and I can always pester you guys here with further questions, no?

However, I'd appreciate any help.
    Blah

1/2/3. Yes.

You don't need to copy the Civ4TechSchema if you're just gonna edit existing XML tags in Civ4TechInfos.xml
    Contraria sunt Complementa. -- Niels Bohr
    Mods: SMAniaC (SMAC) & Planetfall (Civ4)

Comment

Ok, thx
      Blah

Comment

Working...
      X