Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Moving directory to another drive (on the "Documents" side)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moving directory to another drive (on the "Documents" side)

Hi.

I'd like to move my Col2 files so that they are not located under My Documents on the C: drive and put them on a different drive (the rest of the path name is not important to me).

Would I have to change all the _Civ4 shortcuts or is something more elaborate required?

-- HtL
    "...your Caravel has killed a Spanish Man-o-War."

By files, you refer to the profile files (game settings, save games, etc.)?

If I remember, the easiest way to do that is in the shortcut to add ALTROOT=(name) to the shortcut, similarly to how you would force a mod to automatically load with MOD=. That should cause it to place a new directory with the name (ALTROOT=colfiles would make a colfiles\ directory in the program files directory where the Col program files are located).
    <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
    I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Cool, thanks snoopy. Nice question and good to know!
      Coling since 1994... :)

Comment

Really useful for PTBS games, since it allows you to host numerous PTBS games from one Civ4 (or, if they enable PTBS, one Col) installation.

Comment

Yes, I mean the game settings, saved games, etc.

So would I end up with a Target similar to this?

"F:\Program Files\Firaxis\Col2\Colonization.exe ALTROOT=F:\Documents\Games\Col2"

Comment

I have trouble remembering how the quotes work; but I think that is not quite correct.

I think it's like:
            "F:\Program Files\Firaxis\Col2\Colonization.exe" ALTROOT="F:\Documents\Games\Col2"

though I'm not 100% sure that altroot will work in that manner - I've always used relative altroots (so ALTROOT="Docs" and then it places it in "F:\Program Files\Firaxis\Col2\Docs\" ). You may have to play around with it a bit.

Comment

Originally posted by snoopy369 View Post
              You may have to play around with it a bit.
              Ah, good, enough rope to hang myself with!

I'll let you know how it comes out. If you hear a despairing shriek from the direction of Hoboken you'll know.

Comment

Didn't work either way. In both cases it created & went to C:\Documents and Settings...\My Games\Col2 No despair involved, just grumbling. Anything else I can try?

Comment

Hmmmm, not sure. It works fine in Civ; not sure I've verified it works in Col, though it ought to.

Comment

There is an easy way to move all of the "My" folders to another location. Very useful if many of your games insist on putting files on a small C: drive.

Click Start
                    Right-click My Documents
                    Click Properties
                    Click Move... in the Target area.

You can now select where you want those folders to move to. It will move all current folders and change the default path to the new location.

Comment

Working...
                    X