Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• An update from Firaxis about the Colonization patch

Dear Civ IV: Colonization Community,

First of all, we’d like to thank you for the tremendous feedback you’ve given us for Civilization IV: Colonization. We’ve tracked your comments and have investigated suggestions and areas proposed for improvement that you’ve brought to our attention.

We wanted to let you know that we’re currently working on a patch that will be ready for release soon. We’ve made many updates to the game based on feedback we’ve received from the community. Here are some of the key changes:

Enhancements
    - PITBOSS multiplayer executable has been added
    - The end of the game is extended once a colony declares independence to give players more time to win

Balance
    - The Royal Expeditionary force increases more slowly
    - Satisfying the King’s demands delays increasing his expeditionary force
    - Education points required for graduation increase more slowly
    - Military ships (Frigate, Ship of the Line, Man-o-War) cannot enter native settlements
    - Increased price of horses in Europe
    - Armed Brave receives defensive bonuses
    - Armed Mounted Brave does not receive defensive bonuses

AI
    - AI colony leaders are less friendly
    - AI produces more defenders in their settlements
    - AI prepares better for revolution (they may beat you to independence!)

Bug Fixes
    - King no longer asks for money after you have declared independence
    - King no longer raises taxes after you have declared independence
    - King no longer adds to his expeditionary force after you have declared independence
    - Terrain double movement from promotions now works properly

Please continue to post any comments and suggestions you have, as we’ll be monitoring the forums throughout the patch creation and can address anything new that might come up.

We’re fortunate to have such a dedicated and enthusiastic community and appreciate your patience as we finalize the patch.

Thanks.

The Firaxis Team
    Marketing Associate
    Firaxis Games

Thanks for the update, Pete

If you can send Dan Q an email from your Firaxis email address (dan at apolyton.net) he can set you up with an official "Firaxis" title, by the way, to denote your official status.
    <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
    I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Thanks for the information Pete! Great to hear.

*stickied*

Comment

Thank you for the information, Pete.

The only thing that I see on the list that directly affects the very unbalanced gameplay is the increased price of horses. Conversely, it appears that slowing the REF will create an even easier gameplay. Will there be other changes made so that the unintended exploits would be minimized (e.g., starting/rushing LB at the end, only need to essentially buy guns/cannons/horses and letting the REF take your main city so you can easily beat them)?

Comment

We appreciate this Peter!

If you read this, you may wish to have a look at "AoD II", and the so called "patch-mod":
          1. AoD II
          2. PatchMod

The work is mature, and several improvements have been implemented. Thus, Firaxis may wish to take them into account and consideration for this or a future patch.

Best Regards,
          Chris
          Last edited by PrinceMyshkin; February 15, 2009, 07:52.
          Coling since 1994... :)

Comment

Thanks for the update.

And, Welcome to Apolyton Pete.
            And indeed there will be time To wonder, "Do I dare?" and, "Do I dare?". t s eliot

Comment

cheers for the info Pete

few key points being addressed

Comment

Definitely anything included in the Patchmod is a good place to start. I'd like to call special attention to:

- The distance sail-to-Europe cells are drawn from land -- these need to brought in a lot. In the current version of the game they draw something like 4-5 cells from the western and eastern edges. On maps where the land has continents that are close to the eastern or western edge, but inland portions that are far, it's possibly to have only one or two spots on the whole map that are suitable for a starting settlement. This problem gets worse the larger the map size gets. The Americas map included with the game illustrates the glaring nature of this problem -- North America is inhospitably far from Europe. The patchmod addresses this, but large gulfs are still a big problem.
                - Starting positions for Europeans needs to be randomized and made more fair. Some civs can start a long way from usable land.

Comment

- Starting positions for Europeans needs to be randomized and made more fair. Some civs can start a long way from usable land.
                  Very, very true.
                  Coling since 1994... :)

Comment

Hi, if you ask me, the bug that missions produced wrong nation converts when there are more than 2 players with the same nationality should be fixed (it was fixed in the community patches).
                    Against stupidity the very gods themselves contend in vain.

Comment

Civilization is one of the greatest games, imho! I've been playing for the last 10 years and I truly love it. I work as an editor for https://www.expertwriter.net so I am always at my computer and as soon as I get free time, I go ahead to play that game!

Comment

Originally posted by PeteMurray View Post
                        Dear Civ IV: Colonization Community,

First of all, we’d like to thank you for the tremendous feedback you’ve given us for Civilization IV: Colonization. We’ve tracked your comments and have investigated suggestions and areas proposed for improvement that you’ve brought to our attention.

We wanted to let you know that we’re currently working on a patch that will be ready for release soon. We’ve made many updates to the game based on feedback we’ve received from the community. Here are some of the key changes:

Enhancements
                        - PITBOSS multiplayer executable has been added
                        - The end of the game is extended once a colony declares independence to give players more time to win

Balance
                        - The Royal Expeditionary force increases more slowly
                        - Satisfying the King’s demands delays increasing his expeditionary force
                        - Education points required for graduation increase more slowly
                        - Military ships (Frigate, Ship of the Line, Man-o-War) cannot enter native settlements
                        - Increased price of horses in Europe
                        - Armed Brave receives defensive bonuses
                        - Armed Mounted Brave does not receive defensive bonuses

AI
                        - AI colony leaders are less friendly
                        - AI produces more defenders in their settlements
                        - AI prepares better for revolution (they may beat you to independence!)

Bug Fixes
                        - King no longer asks for money after you have declared independence
                        - King no longer raises taxes after you have declared independence
                        - King no longer adds to his expeditionary force after you have declared independence
                        - Terrain double movement from promotions now works properly

Please continue to post any comments and suggestions you have, as we’ll be monitoring the forums throughout the patch creation and can address anything new that might come up.

We’re fortunate to have such a dedicated and enthusiastic community and appreciate your patience as we finalize the patch.

Thanks. Federal Way Kitchen Remodel

The Firaxis Team
                        Any update this year or this coming 2022?

Comment

I personally think that Civilization is one of the best games ever made. I've been playing for the past decade, and I can honestly say that I adore it. roofing contractors tarpon springs​

Comment

Originally posted by bakalov View Post
                            Hi, if you ask me, the bug that missions produced wrong nation converts when there are more than 2 players with the same nationality should be fixed (it was fixed in the community patches).
                            Hi!

Can we expect an update somewhere in this summer?​

Comment

Working...
                            X