No announcement yet.

Do you want kids?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I largely agree with Ali, but personally am more amenable to the "put their own wellbeing on the same level, if not better than, your own" part.

A major part of our indecision is that we have a very high standard for "good parent." If we don't think we can meet that standard, it's a no-go. There are enough bad parents in this world.

-Arrian
    grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Originally posted by Arrian View Post
      A major part of our indecision is that we have a very high standard for "good parent." If we don't think we can meet that standard, it's a no-go. There are enough bad parents in this world.
      Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
      "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

To clarify, I voted "no" but I will admit I was sorely tempted by the big juicy bananas option.

I also deny that I am self biased's DL.
        "lol internet" ~ AAHZ

Comment

Indeed.
          B♭3

Comment

Of course you realize this just means that the people with high standards for parenthood then turn out much less likely to have kids.

Darwin is against them.

"lol internet" ~ AAHZ

Comment

Originally posted by Alinestra Covelia View Post
              Of course you realize this just means that the people with high standards for parenthood then turn out much less likely to have kids.

Darwin is against them.

Believe me, I've thought it through. I've been there. But if I'm going to worry about the greater good, then I pretty much have to adopt. I've had the experience of adopting 2 dogs. Since adopting a child is an order of magnitude more difficult, um, pass.

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

-Arrian
                The fact that you have this level of concern answers your question IMO.
                ...people like to cry a lot... - Pekka
                ...we just argue without evidence, secure in our own superiority. - Snotty

Comment

I've had that thought too, Cali.

Our feelings aren't set in stone... they've been moving. Moving in the direction of having a kid.

To clarify, we have very little doubt that we CAN be good parents. We just want to be as sure as we can be ahead of time (=! totally sure) that we WILL be good parents. You know?

We very well may have over-thought this, but that's us.

-Arrian
                  Last edited by Arrian; February 13, 2009, 14:51.

Comment

Parenting isn't the proverbial "rocket science", so don't agonize too much over your ability to be a good parent. You'll learn as you go along for the most part.
                    ...people like to cry a lot... - Pekka
                    ...we just argue without evidence, secure in our own superiority. - Snotty

Comment

I've had that thought too, Cali.

-Arrian
                      My son is a very good boy. He gets straight A's and is very respectfull. People ask me how I raised him that way. I really didn't raise him any particular way. IMO, I'm not a special parent. All I can say is that I love him, and I treat him accordingly.

So you don't really have to be a good parent to raise good kids although you shouldn't be a selfish jerk.
                      I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
                      - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

I DanSed you. It's not so much the "how to" part that is the issue. We're fine with picking that up as we go. We'll do fine... if we really WANT to. And we're in this place right now we feel some emotional pull to do it (more than we did, say, a year ago), but it hasn't hit the level of wanting to so clearly that we're sure. If our feelings keep moving in the same direction, we will go for it. If they don't, and we're still sorta not sure, then that's a no.

-Arrian

Comment

Originally posted by Alinestra Covelia View Post

Darwin is against them.

See, you are a lot more reasonable than those looking for an excuse.

JM
                          Jon Miller-
                          I AM.CANADIAN
                          GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Originally posted by Kidicious View Post
                            My son is a very good boy. He gets straight A's and is very respectfull. People ask me how I raised him that way. I really didn't raise him any particular way. IMO, I'm not a special parent. All I can say is that I love him, and I treat him accordingly.

So you don't really have to be a good parent to raise good kids although you shouldn't be a selfish jerk.
                            I think I generally agree, although there are certain things you must be competent at. In general, though, you just have to be a good example and a nice person... and realize that your kid will grow up to be his/her own person, and not be too pushy about what person, precisely that is. Pick the important things (like, honesty, integrity, generosity) and don't worry about what music they play or who they hang out with, with few exceptions.

That's how I intend to be, anyhow... I'll get back to you in a few decades with the results
                            <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
                            I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Originally posted by snoopy369 View Post
                              I think I generally agree, although there are certain things you must be competent at. In general, though, you just have to be a good example and a nice person... and realize that your kid will grow up to be his/her own person, and not be too pushy about what person, precisely that is. Pick the important things (like, honesty, integrity, generosity) and don't worry about what music they play or who they hang out with, with few exceptions.

That's how I intend to be, anyhow... I'll get back to you in a few decades with the results
                              Mostly you can't drink, run around and party very much, which is where most people **** up.
                              I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
                              - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

Yes, I have been blessed with a good daughter. I don't think we did anything that special except treat her with respect and let her know how much we loved her and supported her. She generally makes good decisions so it's hard to give her a hard time when the rare occasion that she didn't. Now that she's 21, there's little we can do. And actually that's been the case for at least the last 3 or 4 years.

I read about all those kids that hate their parents and don't even talk to them. I think that's sad and I pray that it never happens to us. (actually it just takes effort and not prayers)
                                It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                                RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Working...
                                X