• Yahoo Fantasy Baseball Sign Ups

I figured we might as well start the sign up thread

I'll play 2 leagues if we have 2 and I can commish one

In
    "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
    "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

In

And I said last year that I'd commish a Daily League, and I'm still willing.
      "I predict your ignore will rival Ben's" - Ecofarm
      ^ The Poly equivalent of:
      "I hope you can see this 'cause I'm [flipping you off] as hard as I can" - Ignignokt the Mooninite

Comment

2 ... one daily and one weekly?

Also, do we want to do one of them as an auction league (or a third auction league like last year, though it's more fun if it's with the full complement of people)? That worked pretty well, and this year we could (similarly to how we did in hockey) use ESPN's draft tool to actually draft (instead of just doing it in chat, which is slower).

I'd volunteer to commish the auction league, but I'm happy to help organize it, or just participate, with someone else commishing it as well. It works fine with either daily or weekly leagues, I'd think.
        <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
        I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

we can do a weekly and daily, if Jag doesn't want to commish the weekly I'll do it and EmpFab can do the daily.

Rather unusual, we have as many commish's as managers

Comment

Count me in for a weekly league.

I'd also like to join the aution league if there is enough interest.

Comment

is the auction league the same as the other other leagues wrt yahoo's 4 team limit? I'd play it if I dont have to use a 2nd yahoo login. I did that one year and didn't like having to login and logout all the time.

Comment

Yahoo doesn't support auction directly, so we'd either have to do it somewhere else (ESPN) and keep it there, or do it somewhere else (ESPN) and import it to Yahoo (more likely). It certainly would count toward the limit if we did it that way.

Comment

So... I'm somewhat interested, what all is involved? Draft players here in the thread, enter them on some site (Yahoo, ESPN, etc?) and then the page just counts all the runs, strikes, HR's and such automatically? How much time/effort is required after the initial draft?
                  Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

The thread draft is as you say; a post a day give or take for a month. Time/effort, an hour a week or more (more effort = more success).
                    The auction draft is like 2-3 hours on a saturday/sunday/whatever and then an hour a week.

Comment

I'll do weekly and auction.
                      “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                      - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Originally posted by snoopy369 View Post
                        Time/effort, an hour a week or more (more effort = more success).
                        Do you mean for the draft or during the season? What am I putting the effort towards? What would I actually do? I've never done any fantasy sport before.

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

During the draft, a half hour a day probably if you do any research. You could just take the best player available by some list somewhere; that takes less time of course.

After the draft, an hour a week fixing your lineups (taking out injured or underperforming players, adding new players to replace them, adjusting for bad matchups, etc.) Figuring out 'underperforuming' versus 'adding new players' can take a lot of time if you want to put it in, but can take less if you just do it quickly.

Fantasy Sports timeline:
                          1. Draft a team. Research who is good at which positions, who is better than the 'standard thinking' places them, determine a strategy (focus on pitchers, focus on hitters, focus evenly, focus on power categories, focus on nonpower categories, focus on saves, etc.), then do the draft.
                          2. Field a team. Field a noninjured player at every position.
                          3. Improve the team. Players will lose starting jobs, and gain them; they will lose playing time, and gain it; they will perform better/worse than you expected. Replace poor performers with good performers from the waiver wire (unclaimed players). Replace underperforming starters with better bench players.

An hour a week (and maybe less, depends on your injuries) is enough to not get people pissed at you for ruining the league. Anything above that will improve your performance up to a point (say, an hour a day or so).

Comment

I'll do a weekly, if there's room.
                            Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                            "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                            He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Originally posted by snoopy369 View Post
                              During the draft, a half hour a day probably if you do any research. You could just take the best player available by some list somewhere; that takes less time of course.

After the draft, an hour a week fixing your lineups (taking out injured or underperforming players, adding new players to replace them, adjusting for bad matchups, etc.) Figuring out 'underperforuming' versus 'adding new players' can take a lot of time if you want to put it in, but can take less if you just do it quickly.

Fantasy Sports timeline:
                              1. Draft a team. Research who is good at which positions, who is better than the 'standard thinking' places them, determine a strategy (focus on pitchers, focus on hitters, focus evenly, focus on power categories, focus on nonpower categories, focus on saves, etc.), then do the draft.
                              2. Field a team. Field a noninjured player at every position.
                              3. Improve the team. Players will lose starting jobs, and gain them; they will lose playing time, and gain it; they will perform better/worse than you expected. Replace poor performers with good performers from the waiver wire (unclaimed players). Replace underperforming starters with better bench players.

An hour a week (and maybe less, depends on your injuries) is enough to not get people pissed at you for ruining the league. Anything above that will improve your performance up to a point (say, an hour a day or so).
                              I think I could handle that. Thanks.

Sign me up.

Whichever league is easier/less time intensive.

Comment

Working...
                              X