October 31, 2014
    Local Time
    17:48

Unhappy Times Are Tough for Gold-diggers too

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/28/ny...gewanted=print

January 28, 2009
    It’s the Economy, Girlfriend
    By RAVI SOMAIYA
    The economic crisis came home to 27-year-old Megan Petrus early last year when her boyfriend of eight months, a derivatives trader for a major bank, proved to be more concerned about helping a laid-off colleague than comforting Ms. Petrus after her father had a heart attack.

For Christine Cameron, the recession became real when the financial analyst she had been dating for about a year would get drunk and disappear while they were out together, then accuse her the next day of being the one who had absconded.

Dawn Spinner Davis, 26, a beauty writer, said the downward-trending graphs began to make sense when the man she married on Nov. 1, a 28-year-old private wealth manager, stopped playing golf, once his passion. “One of his best friends told me that my job is now to keep him calm and keep him from dying at the age of 35,” Ms. Davis said. “It’s not what I signed up for.”

They shared their sad stories the other night at an informal gathering of Dating a Banker Anonymous, a support group founded in November to help women cope with the inevitable relationship fallout from, say, the collapse of Lehman Brothers or the Dow’s shedding 777 points in a single day, as it did on Sept. 29.

In addition to meeting once or twice weekly for brunch or drinks at a bar or restaurant, the group has a blog, billed as “free from the scrutiny of feminists,” that invites women to join “if your monthly Bergdorf’s allowance has been halved and bottle service has all but disappeared from your life.”

Theirs is not the typical 12-step program.

Step 1: Slip into a dress and heels. Step 2: Sip a cocktail and wait your turn to talk. Step 3: Pour your heart out. Repeat as needed.

About 30 women, generally in their mid- to late-20s, regularly post to the Web site or attend meetings.

“We do make light of everything on the blog and it’s very tongue in cheek,” said Laney Crowell, 27, who parted ways with a corporate real estate investor last month after a tumultuous relationship. “But it all stems out of really serious and heartfelt situations.”

When she introduces other Wall Street widows to the group, Ms. Crowell added, “They call their friends and say, ‘You’re not going to believe what I just read. It’s going to make you feel so much better.’ ”

Once it was seen as a blessing in certain circles to have a wealthy, powerful partner who would leave you alone with the credit card while he was busy brokering deals. "I thought I was dating a big pile of money. But now, he has feelings and expects me to respond to them," complained one woman on the blog. Now, many Wall Street wives, girlfriends and, increasingly, exes, are living the curse of cutbacks in nanny hours and reservations at Masa or Megu. And that credit card? Canceled.

Raoul Felder, the Manhattan divorce lawyer, said that cases involving financiers always stack up as the economy starts to slip, because layoffs and shrinking bonuses place stress on relationships — and, he said, because “there aren’t funds or time for mistresses any more.”

(One such mistress wrote on the blog that when she pouted about not having been taken on a trip lately, her married man explained that with money so tight, his wife had taken to checking up on his accounts.)

Harriet Pappenheim, a psychotherapist at Park Avenue Relationship Consultants who wrote “For Richer or Poorer,” a 2006 book on money in marriage, said that the repercussions could be acute for Wall Street wunderkinds who define their identities through their job titles and the size of their bonuses.

“It’s a big blow to their egos and to their self-esteem,” she said of the endless stream of economic bad news, “and they may take it out on their partners and children.”

Ms. Petrus, a lawyer, and Ms. Crowell, who works for a fashion Web site, started the support group when they realized that they were facing similar problems in their relationships with bankers last fall.

“We put two and two together and figured out that it was the economy, not us,” Ms. Petrus recalled at a recent meeting in the lobby bar of the Bowery Hotel. “When guys in banking are going through this, they can’t handle a relationship.”(She and her boyfriend split up last year; he declined to discuss it.)

Many of the women said that as the economic crisis struck last fall, they began tracking the markets during the day to predict the moods that the men they loved might be in later. On big news days, like when the first proposed government bailout failed in Congress, or when Lehman went belly-up, they knew that plans to see their partners would be put off.

“I was like, ‘O.K. I signed up for that, it’s fine,’ “ said Ms. Cameron. “But all of a sudden,” she said, her boyfriend “couldn’t focus. If he stayed over he’d be up at some random hour checking his BlackBerry, Bloomberg and CNBC.”

Ms. Cameron said that she and her boyfriend broke up at the end of November but that they still saw each other occasionally.

One frequent topic among the group is the link between the boardroom and the bedroom. “There’s actually the type of person who has a bad day on the trading floor and they want to have sex more,” Ms. Spinner Davis offered as she sipped a vodka gimlet, declining to say how she knew.

Ms. Petrus chimed in.

“If you’re lucky you’ll get that guy,” she said, not revealing whether she considered herself lucky. “Middle-case scenario: It gets relegated to the weekends.

“Worst-case scenario,” she began, and then took another sip of her drink.

Brandon Davis, Ms. Spinner Davis’s husband of almost three months, acknowledged in a recent telephone interview that his new job was “certainly more stressful and there’s certainly more pressure” because of the economy, but disagreed that such stresses had affected his home life. He did not want to talk about golf.

Some women in the group said the men in their lives had gone from being aloof and unattainable to unattractively needy and clinging. Others complained of being ignored — one, who called herself A.P., wrote on the blog that three weeks had passed without her boyfriend “asking a single question” about her life. Another wrote, fearfully, that her beau had told her to make a list of their favorite New York restaurants before the bad market forced a move to the Midwest.

“Next time you are stressing over some finance guy, remember that he is just a math-club nerd,” one woman wrote after recounting a breakup. “This recession just bought everyone an extra two years of the single life.”

Another, though, seemed chagrined, after her boyfriend told her to “grow up” and stop “complaining about vacations and dinner” since he had to “fire 20 people by the end of the week.”

On the blog, the objects of their affections — and disdain — are referred to as F.B.F.’s, for Financial-Guy Boyfriends. Financial news is conveyed via a color-coded daily warning system: red, when the Dow fell 300 points on Oct. 6 (“Good night to have dinner with your girlfriends and do laundry”); yellow, when Warren Buffet invested $3 billion in General Electric (“Good night to hang out with your F.B.F.”); green on Jan. 21, in honor of President Obama’s hope.

Despite the seemingly endless stream of disparaging remarks and shaking heads, some of the appeal of dating a banker remains.

“It’s not even about a $200 dinner,” Ms. Petrus said. “It’s that he’s an alpha male, he’s aggressive, he’s a go-getter, he doesn’t take no for an answer, he’s confident, people respect him and that creates the whole mystique of who he is.”
    “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
    "Capitalism ho!"

divideand...
    Settler
    Country
    This is divideand...'s Country Flag
    Thanks
    Local Date
    October 31, 2014
    Local Time
    12:48
    haha gold diggin biatches.

Elok
    Country
    This is Elok's Country Flag
    Thanks
    Local Date
    October 31, 2014
    Local Time
    13:48
    That "dating a big pile of money" remark sounds like it must be a joke. But far be it from me to assume that women can't really get that shallow and dense...

Arrian
    Country
    This is Arrian's Country Flag
    Thanks
    Local Date
    October 31, 2014
    Local Time
    “One of his best friends told me that my job is now to keep him calm and keep him from dying at the age of 35,” Ms. Davis said. “It’s not what I signed up for.”
    Heh. Must've skipped the "in sickness and in health" vow.

My niece is a total gold digger. Seeing as she's now 30 and still digging w/o success...

-Arrian
    grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Patroklos
    Country
    This is Patroklos's Country Flag
    Thanks
    Local Date
    October 31, 2014
    Local Time
    18:48
    Hmmmm....

I think we are missing the point of all this. As money drowned rich boys become scarce, gold diggers either have to lower thier bank account standards or work. Since we all know which one will happen first that means you, yes YOU, may be able to afford a super modelesque piece of arm candy/ass on the side.
    "The DPRK is still in a state of war with the U.S. It's called a black out." - Che explaining why orbital nightime pictures of NK show few lights. Seriously.

pchang
    Country
    This is pchang's Country Flag
    Thanks
    Local Date
    October 31, 2014
    Local Time
    17:48

No one smells

an onion????
    That's not the real world. Your job has little to do with the sort of thing most people do for a living. - Agathon

If social security were private, it would be prosecuted as a Ponzi scheme.

DanS
    Country
    This is DanS's Country Flag
    Thanks
    Local Date
    October 31, 2014
    Local Time

Sick Not as advertised

Quote Originally Posted by Patroklos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Since we all know which one will happen first that means you, yes YOU, may be able to afford a super modelesque piece of arm candy/ass on the side.
    Click through to the article. Arm candy is not how I would describe some of them.
    I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Grandpa Troll
    Immortal Factotum Grandpa Troll's Avatar
    Country
    This is Grandpa Troll's Country Flag
    Thanks
    Local Date
    October 31, 2014
    Local Time
    Quote Originally Posted by DanS View Post
    Click through to the article. Arm candy is not how I would describe some of them.
    DanS is a whizz at economics, so I will take the lead on the gals

These are, at best, beer, bowling and pizza bobbin-fo-pooooontang pickups(BBPBFPP's), nothing more nuttin less
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Did anyone have Ryan Dunn From Jackass FAME? He died in a fiery car crash speeding after being in a bar. And to think, everyone thought he would die doing something stupid-rah

DanS
    Country
    Thanks
    Local Date
    October 31, 2014
    Local Time

Sick

Quote Originally Posted by Arrian View Post
    Heh. Must've skipped the "in sickness and in health" vow.

My niece is a total gold digger. Seeing as she's now 30 and still digging w/o success...
    What strategies has she adopted?
    I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Elok
    Country
    Thanks
    Local Date
    October 31, 2014
    Local Time
    Eh, of the four whose faces are visible in that pic, I'd say only the one on the far left is really attractive.

Grandpa Troll
    Country
    Thanks
    Local Date
    October 31, 2014
    Local Time
    Quote Originally Posted by Elok View Post
    Eh, of the four whose faces are visible in that pic, I'd say only the one on the far left is really attractive.

Thats why I put them in my Beer,Bowling and Pizza category..certainly nt uptown eye candy
    Did anyone have Ryan Dunn From Jackass FAME? He died in a fiery car crash speeding after being in a bar. And to think, everyone thought he would die doing something stupid-rah

Elok
    Country
    Thanks
    Local Date
    October 31, 2014
    Local Time
    Yeah, but...maybe it's just a good picture, but the one on the far left looks almost like Demi Moore to me. She's a notch above the rest on face alone. And we really can't judge the one on the far right, who's turned away from the camera. So they may be up to 40% arm candy. Be fair.

Grandpa Troll
    Country
    Thanks
    Local Date
    October 31, 2014
    Local Time
    Yeah, but...maybe it's just a good picture, but the one on the far left looks almost like Demi Moore to me. She's a notch above the rest on face alone. And we really can't judge the one on the far right, who's turned away from the camera. So they may be up to 40% arm candy. Be fair.
    Ok, because your a fair and impartial person..no, thats not it I will say the worse I ever had was good or great so I see beauty in many forms that others dont.

But on the same token, wats wrong with Beer,Bowling and Pizza?

Some of the hottest 'Tang 'N 'Taint I ever had was from a Bowling Alley

More pics of Gold Diggers please

Lefty Scaevola
    Country
    This is Lefty Scaevola's Country Flag
    Thanks
    Local Date
    October 31, 2014
    Local Time
    Quote Originally Posted by Grandpa Troll View Post
    But on the same token, wats wrong with Beer,Bowling and Pizza?
    Two many calories, not enough exercise.
    Gaius Mucius Scaevola Sinistra
    Japher: "crap, did I just post in this thread?"
    "Bloody hell, Lefty.....number one in my list of persons I have no intention of annoying, ever." Bugs ****ing Bunny
    From a 6th grader who readily adpated to internet culture: "Pay attention now, because your opinions suck"

Grandpa Troll
    Country
    Thanks
    Local Date
    October 31, 2014
    Local Time
    Quote Originally Posted by Lefty Scaevola View Post
    Two many calories, not enough exercise.
    Lefty, wat ya thimk dem broads are fer

Docfeelgood
    Country
    This is Docfeelgood's Country Flag
    Thanks
    Local Date
    October 31, 2014
    Local Time

Seen better faces on iodine bottles.

Naked Gents Rut
    Country
    This is Naked Gents Rut's Country Flag
    Thanks
    Local Date
    November 1, 2014
    Local Time
    01:48
    This article makes me cry. If only I'd graduated 2 years ago; I'm never going to have an UES apartment in this economy...

Grandpa Troll
    Country
    Thanks
    Local Date
    October 31, 2014
    Local Time
    Quote Originally Posted by Naked Gents Rut View Post
    I'm never going to have an UES apartment ...

whats this?

Naked Gents Rut
    Country
    Thanks
    Local Date
    November 1, 2014
    Local Time
    It's where you take your gold-digger girlfriend to get compensated for a night of bottle service.

Solomwi
    Country
    This is Solomwi's Country Flag
    Thanks
    Local Date
    October 31, 2014
    Local Time
    Quote Originally Posted by Docfeelgood View Post
    Seen better faces on iodine bottles.
    Strong, strong Pryor reference.
    Solomwi is very wise. - Imran Siddiqui

snoopy369
    Thanks
    Local Date
    October 31, 2014
    Local Time
    I assume he refers to Upper East Side (ie, the place where these gold-diggers live), GT.

You know, Movin' on up... to the east side ...
    <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
    I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

DanS
    Country
    Thanks
    Local Date
    October 31, 2014
    Local Time

Sick

This article makes me cry. If only I'd graduated 2 years ago; I'm never going to have an UES apartment in this economy...
    When does your incarceration end?

Naked Gents Rut
    Country
    Thanks
    Local Date
    November 1, 2014
    Local Time
    May. Great timing on my part...

snoopy369
    Thanks
    Local Date
    October 31, 2014
    Local Time
    Can't you join a 5th-year-masters program or something and stay in one more year?

Naked Gents Rut
    Country
    Thanks
    Local Date
    November 1, 2014
    Local Time
    I'm already in a master's program. Kinda wish I'd done the three-year program in conjunction with the B-school instead of the two-year now.

Grandpa Troll
    Country
    Thanks
    Local Date
    October 31, 2014
    Local Time
    I'm already in a master's program. Kinda wish I'd done the three-year program in conjunction with the B-school instead of the two-year now.
    Reality gonna kind suck, eh?

snoopy369
    Thanks
    Local Date
    October 31, 2014
    Local Time
    You can ALWAYS find a reason to stay in school one more year. Trust me. As long as the student loans don't dry up (and there's no evidence they will, generally speaking), you can stay a student until you're 50 if you like

Timexwatch
    Country
    This is Timexwatch's Country Flag
    Thanks
    Local Date
    October 31, 2014
    Local Time
    If these guys are/were pulling that much money, they could have been doing so much better with a little effort. The only cute one is the one in the middle. Time for these banker types to dump the depreciating assets and invest in cheaper, newer positions.
    If you look around and think everyone else is an *******, you're the *******.

GePap
    Country
    This is GePap's Country Flag
    Thanks
    Local Date
    October 31, 2014
    Local Time
    11:48
    What kind of women do you guys think financiers marry?

1. There are tens of thousands of finance guys in NYC - the pool of model quality women isn't endless, and these guys have to compete with all the entertainment people here in NYC too.

2. Girlfriends aren't the same thing as one night stands.

As evidence, the wives of five top hedge fund managers (the top dogs in this little world):

While they are older than the women in the picture, none seem to have been incredible beauties either.

note that #2 established and managed her own multimillion dollar hedge fund.
    If you don't like reality, change it! me
    "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake :(
    "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
    "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Alinestra Covelia
    Country
    This is Alinestra Covelia's Country Flag
    Thanks
    Local Date
    October 31, 2014
    Local Time
    Those women are a disgrace. It's because of feminine independence issues that I decided to become a lawyer and be the "pile of money" myself. That way if my future goldmine runs out I'll still have some to live off of.
    "lol internet" ~ AAHZ

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast