Question about war

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about war

I only just got civilization iv, and never had any of the other games, so please bear with me if this is a very stupid question. I just started a war, and i seem to be unable to attack a city and win. I had 5 people and 1 war elephant and a catapult, but they will only attack a city one at a time. I also seem to have a problem where an elephant loses against an archer. Are all the archers in this game legolas or something, because i am losing cities rapidly because i can't get my people to win.

Terrain and promotions. AN archer (base 3) fortifed, on a hill, defending a city, first strike, then include promotions can win when attacked by an unpromoted elephant. We'll need a few more specifics. Which if you don't understand what I'm asking, that's the problem.
    On the first part of your questions, what do you mean by 5 people. If you're going to war and trying to capture a city, it's quite likely that you will need more than a single elephant and a catapult.
    It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
    RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

by 5 people i meant 3 warriors and 2 longbow men. i had them all as one group, selected them all, and told them to attack the city, and only the catapult attacked. I tried again, and only a warrior attack. they both died, and i pulled them out of napoleon's territory, to have them fortify in my nearest city, which i promptly lost to napoleon. i will look up the dates as soon as i get the chance.

Comment

I don't recommend group attack, break apart the group and attack one at a time.

That's also a rather strange mix for attacking. Warriors are obsolete for everything except MP duty (and with a massive cash an instant upgrade to useful military units) long before Longbows become available. And Crossbows are much more cost effective attacking cities than Longbows; Longbows are best at defending hills and cities. (Especially cities located on hills). And also if the city defense hasn't been bombarded down to zero yet, your generally better off having cats bombard the city defenses.
        1st C3DG Term 7 Science Advisor 1st C3DG Term 8 Domestic Minister
        Templar Science Minister
        AI: I sure wish Jon would hurry up and complete his turn, he's been at it for over 1,200,000 milliseconds now.

Comment

Welcome to Apolyton Lsunday.
          And indeed there will be time To wonder, "Do I dare?" and, "Do I dare?". t s eliot

Comment

We do have some good guides referenced in the bottom two sticky threads on the parent forum to this forum. Based on your question, Vel's strategy guide is recommended. Picking up all of this at once can be very frustrating.
            No matter where you go, there you are. - Buckaroo Banzai
            "I played it [Civilization] for three months and then realised I hadn't done any work. In the end, I had to delete all the saved files and smash the CD." Iain Banks, author

Comment

Originally posted by Blaupanzer View Post
              We do have some good guides referenced in the bottom two sticky threads on the parent forum to this forum. Based on your question, Vel's strategy guide is recommended. Picking up all of this at once can be very frustrating.
              Can you link the thread where this guide is? I am needing some war tips pretty bad.

Comment

Question about war

It does not seem to work for me, when I click the Choice thing, it is jusy a y/n.

When i try either of them, then click the red front batch file, everything shuts down, no selection is made.

Does something else have to be done to make it work?
                Regards

Comment

Working...
                X