ship bombardments

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ship bombardments

I am playing with the Chaz mod. When I have a frigate or man o' war in a square adjacent to a city, I don't see the bombardment symbol. What's wrong? How do I bombard a city? Forgive me if this is in the manual. I lost it long ago and just started to play the game again.

Are you at war with the civ that owns the city?
    Keep on Civin'
    RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Yes, I am. I know there is something stupid I'm missing but that is not it. My ship is in the square right next to a CIV I'm at war with. How do I bombard?!? Do i have to have set something special?

Comment

I would advise looking up those ships in the civopedia (F12), and comparing them with others such as destroyer. While I haven't got the Chaz mod (and the CFC Modpacks forum seems to be down at the moment), it may be that it's a feature of the mod that they just don't do bombardment.

Addendum: I can't even FIND the Chaz mod under that name (now that I can access the forum). Link?
        Last edited by Jaybe; January 19, 2009, 22:32.

Comment

Comment

You haven't by chance attacked with the ship(s) during that same turn, have you? They can only attack once per turn (typically) and a bombard counts as an attack.

On a side note, and not to take away from the main point, but does anyone know the exact blockade range for different ships?
            I use Posturepedic mattresses for a lifetime of temporary relief.

Comment

Or has the defense of the city already been reduced to zero? You can't bombard if there's no defense to hit and reduce.
              Rule 37: "There is no 'overkill'. There is only 'open fire' and 'I need to reload'."
              http://www.schlockmercenary.com/ 23 Feb 2004

Comment

I went to a city I had never been to before, so I doubt the defense was 0. I couldn't bombard. I ended my turn. Then I tried to bomboard again without moving and still was not able to bombard.

Comment

Just because you haven't been there before, doesn't mean the defense can't be zero. Is there any cultural percentage showing?
                  Keep on Civin'
                  RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

3 possibilities:

1) No shooter (if true, then your ships as named can't do it, or you aren't right next to the city)
                    2) No target (someone or something else (a revolt?) has reduced the defenses to zero so no red target for you)
                    3) No war (you are not actually at war with this city (e.g., surrendered to another state as a vassal or enforced peace thru AP or UN)).
                    No matter where you go, there you are. - Buckaroo Banzai
                    "I played it [Civilization] for three months and then realised I hadn't done any work. In the end, I had to delete all the saved files and smash the CD." Iain Banks, author

Comment

It IS a difference of the Chaz mod.

I looked at the XML for naval units, and the first unit to have an iBombardRate is the Cruiser. So, no sailing ships, not even a Destroyer, is going to be able to bombard city defenses.

Comment

Thank you Jaybe. I thought I was crazy. I hadn't played the game in 2 years and loaded the Chaz mod first thing when I started again. Then I tried to bombard 4 different cities with 3 different ships that are supposed to bombard, and no bombing bulls eye! Wonder why that was not in the documentation for the mod, and they didn't change the civlopedia entries? Thanks everyone else that tried to help!

Comment

Just because Jaybe gave you a reasonable answer to this question, that does mean you aren't going crazy. Most of us here are just a bit crazy -- some more than others.
                          No matter where you go, there you are. - Buckaroo Banzai
                          "I played it [Civilization] for three months and then realised I hadn't done any work. In the end, I had to delete all the saved files and smash the CD." Iain Banks, author

Comment

Working...
                          X