Who farts on Mars?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who farts on Mars?

BBC, News, BBC News, news online, world, uk, international, foreign, british, online, service

Large quantities of methane gas have been detected on Mars, Nasa scientists have announced in Science journal.

The gas could be produced either by geological activity or by life.

Methane was detected in the Martian atmosphere five years ago; scientists have found it is more abundant over particular parts of the planet.

It should last for only a short time in the atmosphere until it is destroyed by sunlight, and so its continued presence means it is being replenished.

This suggests the methane is made by an ongoing process.

But the ultimate origin of the methane could either be an ancient or a modern one, say the researchers.

"The fact that we have found three discrete regions where Mars is releasing methane at this time means we have a window into processes occurring under the surface of the planet," said co-author Michael Mumma, a senior planetary scientist at Nasa's Goddard Spaceflight Center in Maryland, US. ---
    So get your Naomi Klein books and move it or I'll seriously bash your faces in! - Supercitizen to stupid students
    Be kind to the nerdiest guy in school. He will be your boss when you've grown up!

In early 2003, a plume of methane gas rose from the surface of Mars. The big unanswered question is, What belched?

Was this even reported back then?

Comment

David Bowie might know, but to be honest: Earth ****s all over Mars - it's a rubbish planet.

Comment

could the entire planet be alive.
        Which side are we on? We're on the side of the demons, Chief. We are evil men in the gardens of paradise, sent by the forces of death to spread devastation and destruction wherever we go. I'm surprised you didn't know that. --Saul Tigh

Comment

we have a window into processes occurring under the surface of the planet

Saruman?
          The forges of evil?
          The books that the world calls immoral are the books that show the world its own shame. Oscar Wilde.

Comment

Originally posted by Sprayber View Post
            could the entire planet be alive.

Mindworm, Mindworm
            "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
            "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

Originally posted by Guynemer View Post
              Mindworm, Mindworm
              Sandworm, sandworm
              Attached Files
              With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

Well, the conclusion of an-aerobic life is actually the obvious one, even if not the only possible maybe. On earth at least, if you detect methan emmitting from a pile of something, the conclusion would be, that something organic inside is rotting (the term might not be correct - ANaerobic rotting, i mean).

I once did an internship at a place, where trash is pre-treated prior to dumping. In that place, the organic components are supposed to be ´eaten´ and burned by aerobic bacteria. I did, for the most part, the measuring, if the process indeed was aerobic. If it wasnt, methane would be emitted, because anaerobic bacteria took over and they ´fart´ (breathe out CH4). Since CH4 is a very potent green house gas, this is not desired. Anyways, point is: If the garbage did emit CH4, we knew it was anaerobic bacteria causing it.

Of course, there are other possible sources for methane, i guess, like vulcanic activity. The biogenic source would need liquid water, too, since the H for the CH4 need to be taken from somewhere by the bacteria.

Comment

Woodpeckers.
                  I'm consitently stupid- Japher
                  I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

Comment

Working...
                  X