How do I load an auto-saved game?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do I load an auto-saved game?

I'm well-aware that this is a ridiculous question, but I just can't find where I load auto-saved games, such as from the previous turn. Can anyone help me?

And speaking of difficult things to find in Civ4, once I finally found how to give a colony independence, I was rather dismayed to find I could only grant it to the set of all cities on any given land mass, no more/less.

Thanks.
    I use Posturepedic mattresses for a lifetime of temporary relief.

Select "load game"

Look at the navigation frame on the left in the window that opens. You should be in the folder saves/single. Expand (click the little +) the folder called single and select the "auto" folder and then select and load the game you wish in the normal way.
    Last edited by Sarco; January 13, 2009, 06:55.

Comment

I belive the default is every 4th turn.
      It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
      RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Different question

How do I tell Civ not to store the "My Games" folder on C: and put it on a different drive instead ?

Comment

sorinache: Someone will soon pop up, telling you, that Civ puts the save games exactly where it is supposed to save them, according to the ´games for windows´ directives or somesuch. You are not supposed to have enough of an idea about your comp (except if your a modder), to open any file anywhere else than in your personal folder (whatever that´s called in english). If the savegames would actually be stored in the game-folder, you might get the idea to wander there, mess things up, and then come back complaining your game was broken. We cant have that. Save games already go exactly where they need to go. Get used to it. ;D

Comment

Thanks

Originally posted by Unimatrix11 View Post
            sorinache: Someone will soon pop up, telling you, that Civ puts the save games exactly where it is supposed to save them, according to the ´games for windows´ directives or somesuch. You are not supposed to have enough of an idea about your comp (except if your a modder), to open any file anywhere else than in your personal folder (whatever that´s called in english). If the savegames would actually be stored in the game-folder, you might get the idea to wander there, mess things up, and then come back complaining your game was broken. We cant have that. Save games already go exactly where they need to go. Get used to it. ;D
            Okay, then I'll rephrase : I know this is a Civ forum, not a Windows forum, but does anybody happen to know how / where (I suppose it's the registry) to intervene in order to change the "games for windows" directive ? I suspect I need to mess with a registry key somewhere, but if someone could be so kind as to spare me a few hours peeking and poking under the Windows' hood, it would be greatly appreciated.

I'd like Windows to tell Civ IV / BtS that the "My Games" folder is on my F: drive, not on my C: drive.

Thanks in advance

Comment

I think you want this entry in the CivilizationIV.ini file:
              ; Save Path - relative to working (Civ4) folder
              FileName = 0

I haven't messed with it, but I would start by changing the line to something like FileName = F:BtS_Saves, or whatever name you're planning on using.

The ini file should be in your ...\My Documents\My Games\Beyond the Sword folder (one level up from the Saves folder).

Comment

Originally posted by sorinache View Post
                I'd like Windows to tell Civ IV / BtS that the "My Games" folder is on my F: drive, not on my C: drive.

Thanks in advance
                The fast answer to your question is to place the following at the end of the Target in the BTS icon's properties:

/ALTROOT=pathtosaves

For more information (and cautions) search for ALTROOT in this forum.

HTH

Petek
                "The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote."
                -- Kosh

Comment

install civ on F:?

Comment

Originally posted by martin mcmartin View Post
                    install civ on F:?
                    Civ IS installed on F: already, of course . But the "MyGames" folder is located on C:

Comment

I only just got civilization iv, and never had any of the others, so please bear with me if this is a very stupid question. I just started a war, and i seem to be unable to attack a city and win. I had 5 people and 1 war elephant and a catapult, but they will only attack a city one at a time. I also seem to have a problem where an elephant loses against an archer. Are all the archers in this game legolas or something, because i am losing cities rapidly because i can't get my people to win.

Comment

Lsunday,

First try using siege weapons to bombard (the option comes up when they are adjacent to an enemy city) until its defenses are zero. You can then use siege units to attack the city (often dying in the process) to cause damage to multiple units before your attack).

Other than that, be mindful of bonuses certain units get versus others (i.e. Pikemen get a bonus versus mounted units). In fact, when attacking, you can actually see the odds of winning a particular battle before you commit to it.

Finally, only one unit can attack at a time, and will automatically attack the defensive unit it is weakest against in the stack. I usually select individual unit to see which defensive unit appears, and then analyze the chance for victory.

I'm sure there are myriad strategy guides on this site that could help you further.
                        I use Posturepedic mattresses for a lifetime of temporary relief.

Comment

Working...
                        X