This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MLB - 2009 Regular Season Thread!!

The other one went past 500... The HOF voting was being discussed.

Congrats to Henderson. Rice should be happy to be in. And a few deserving candidates got screwed yet again.

Continued from here:
    Keep on Civin'
    RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Btw, still pissy about Blyleven. I mean seriously, what else does he need to do? The BBWAA do realize that not ever good player has played in Boston or New York, right?
    If Boston and New York didn't see fit to pick him up that's a strike against them. Doesn't at least every dominant player in an era play for them?
    Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
    "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
    2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Rays sign Gabe Kapler to a $1m contract...

I think I like the addition... I'd rather have Baldelli, but he ended up with (up to) $2.25m on the Red Sox, and the Rays apparently couldn't afford that. Kapler is certainly a good pickup, though.
      <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
      I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Rays sign Gabe Kapler to a $1m contract...

I think I like the addition... I'd rather have Baldelli, but he ended up with (up to) $2.25m on the Red Sox, and the Rays apparently couldn't afford that. Kapler is certainly a good pickup, though.
        <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
        I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Kapler for that amount isn't a bad deal at all, especially if he resembles his last year numbers.
          “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
          - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Damn Rangers are already 20 games back.
            Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
            "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
            He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

“I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”

Comment

Btw, this was linked on another forum, originally done by Jay Jaffe from Baseball Prospectus. 1st column is Player A. 2nd column is Player B.

Avg.: .338/.294
                OBP: .388/.385
                SLG: .459/.425
                EQA: .307/.307
                HR: 135/170
                SB: 319/838
                TOB: 3,955/3,977
                TB: 4,259/3,771
                R: 1,383/1,517
                RBI: 1,138/980

They seem very similar right? Player A's almost 500 edge in Total Bases appears to be made up by Player B's 500+ edge in Stolen Bases.

Player A is Tony Gwynn, who recieved 97.6% of the vote to get into the Hall of Fame.
                Player B is Tim Raines.

Comment

Do the same comparison for Rice and Raines
                  Keep on Civin'

Comment

Ok, Player A is Rice, Player B is Raines

Avg.: .298/.294
                    OBP: .352/.385
                    SLG: .502/.425
                    EQA: .298/.307
                    HR: 382/170
                    SB: 58/838
                    TOB: 3,186/3,977
                    TB: 4,129/3,771
                    R: 1,249/1,517
                    RBI: 1,451/980

Rice has 212 more HRs, 358 more Total Bases, and 471 more RBIs - Raines has 780 more SBs, 791 more Times on Base, 268 more Runs, and a .009 advantage in EqA.

I think Raines wins fairly easily here (and that ain't even factoring in his excellent defense). And, of course, if Rice is in, hard to deny Raines now.

Comment

Henderson was a no-doubter (though somehow a bunch of guys left him off). Rice had acquired an aura of inevitability, so I just can't get too worked up over it. Yeah, he's overrated. So be it. Blyleven gets me more animated. He's obviously a HOFer, and they just keep missing it.

Damn Rangers are already 20 games back
                      Sorry, Sloww. In addition, Young is *****ing & moaning b/c they want to move him off SS. This is what happens when you (or others) tell a guy he's great in the field and he's... well... not (see: Jeter, Derek).

-Arrian
                      grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Appears Derek Lowe is leaning towards the Braves offer:

The Atlanta Braves and pitcher Derek Lowe have reached preliminary agreement on a four-year, $60 million contract, baseball sources told ESPN.com.

4 years for $60 million.

While I wanted the Mets to sign Lowe, I'm glad they didn't play Boras' game. After all, a 4 year deal for a 35 year old pitcher? Sure pitchers are pitching into their 40s, but not every one can pull that off.

Comment

Agreed. Although... what's the Mets rotation right now? Lowe isn't a terrible bet as 36 year old pitchers go (especially as he's staying in the NL). Trouble is that "as 36 yr old pitchers go" part. They generally don't go terribly well.

So Lowe gets $15MM/yr. Interesting to see if this results in the Yanks agreeing to pay Pettitte more than the $10MM they offered him.

-Arrian
                          grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Right now:

Santana
                            Maine
                            Pelfrey
                            Niese (Rookie)
                            Redding

Though the Mets seem like they are extending offers to Oliver Perez and Randy Wolf. They may also be looking at Ben Sheets (his price may be really low now that it seems no one is biting and he'd be a great medium risk, high reward signing if they could get him for under $10 mil a year)

Comment

If Lowe can get 60 for four years, Sheets isn't going to settle for 10 a year.
                              Keep on Civin'

Comment

Working...
                              X