Commando upgrade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Commando upgrade

I made a forum search, and discovered that the commando upgrade hasn't been discussed much at all, or is hidden in threads with misleading titles.

I've been playing a lot of BtS games over the holidays, mostly on the "Next War" mod, which is just as the vanilla game all until modern times, where you get new techs, buildings and units.

And I've explored the "Unrestricted leaders" option, where I can combine leaders and tribes to my own liking. Some combinations I like are Boadicea or Djengis Khan with tribes that have early UU, preferebly melee units to get advantage of Agressive.

Those two leaders will give you a lot more generals and/or unit upgrades than most other leaders, especially if you rush for the Great Wall in the early game. Before, I used to put a GG or two in every high-productive city, in order to pump out millions of level 2 or level 3 units. But recently, I tend to focus my GGs to one single city, in order to produce super-attackers. In my last game, I was pumping out level 6 or even level 7 units at a pace of 1-2 turns for each. Then I use captured enemy capitals that already had GGs, to produce level 3 city defenders. The rest of my cities produce economy, research or guided missiles.

With that kind of production capability, I've discovered the usefulness of the "commando" upgrade, that you get when you research "Military Science". I mean, how could I live without it before? Those commando units could use enemy roads as if they were your own, which means they can stay in the cover of a city until you're ready for the attack, then they just move in and take the enemy city. I use aircraft, ships and missiles to wear down the defenders before the attack, no artillery, as it moves too slowly. Normally, I can conquer a new city on each turn, while it previously took 3-4 turns just to move my units into position for each city attack. And those 4* units rarely loose a fight, so the only losses I have to cover are missiles and airplanes.

Anyone else tried commando a lot?
    So get your Naomi Klein books and move it or I'll seriously bash your faces in! - Supercitizen to stupid students
    Be kind to the nerdiest guy in school. He will be your boss when you've grown up!

Occasionally I play a "warlord" game where I focus on making a lot of great generals, with imperialistic and the great wall, assigning them all to units. It's easy to have 8-12 of 2 move (3 with mech inf) warlord units with Commando. It's hugely powerful.

Comment

Early game you can utilize this concept by having an army of Woodsman II/III or Guerrilla II/III units. That allows you to stage 2 spaces away from a city before you attack. Generally not as successful, but I did have a Woodsman III Dog Soldier Rush take out a lightly-defended Ottoman city- those +2 1st strikes aren't just in the woods!
      I'm consitently stupid- Japher
      I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

Comment

I never really had a lot of commandos just because it's difficult to get units up to it if you're not producing highly trained units.

I also tend to favour that promotion that boosts city attack over veteran for my offensive units.

Commando units are fun though.
        "The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists."
        -Joan Robinson

Comment

The only time I have used commando promotion to good effect was with a GG generated super medic Knight (then Cavalry). It ended up being a game where there was a lot of cutural push between tightly spaced enemy cities. When I would push an attack force through the culture and capture the enemy city, it would often be surrounded by enemy culture and difficult to reach. But my commando medic would rush from safety in the last conquered city to heal the much battered troops. I often find that my medic is a step or two behind the main invasion force because of healing times, but in this case, that was never a problem.
          If you aren't confused,
          You don't understand.

Comment

I love Commando. It took a while to appreciate just how powerful it was, but now it's a must for me.
            And indeed there will be time To wonder, "Do I dare?" and, "Do I dare?". t s eliot

Comment

Commando and blitz, both from military science, can be very useful if you have a force of highly trained, up-to date units. These can include warlord-promoted units or units arising from a concentrated military instructor city, or even promoted the hard way, fighting their way up. The warlord units have the option of adding a movement point, an option not available to the others. This can give you cavalry or tanks with 3 movement to keep up with the mech inf. If all have commando and are supported by aircraft, you can overrun a lot of cities in a hurry, then followup with the less flexible conquering army type to do occupation and counterattack defense. Gotta love it, if you can pull it off.
              No matter where you go, there you are. - Buckaroo Banzai
              "I played it [Civilization] for three months and then realised I hadn't done any work. In the end, I had to delete all the saved files and smash the CD." Iain Banks, author

Comment

Originally posted by Blaupanzer View Post
                Gotta love it, if you can pull it off.
                It's really not all that hard.

People seem to be pretty good at leveraging Financial, or Industrious, or what have you. Why not leverage Imperialist?

Or, even if you're not Imperialist. We can play a CE game without being Financial. Try playing a GG game without being Imperialistic.

Anyway there are TEN Imperialist leaders. Seems to me ignoring a major part of the game if you haven't made a conscious effort to see how much power you can get out of the Imperialist trait.

As mentioned, two main ways to do it: settle your great generals (ps you get Representation bonus!) or use them to make warlords. Either way you can realize some cool strategies such as Commando.

Comment

I got Commando on some tanks once, when blitzing with genghis khan. Some took heavy damage, but i got a few to learn Commando. With that, the enemies were no longer safe, even if they were on the other side of his empire.

Comment

What's the promotion path for commando?
                    It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                    RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Combat IV, I think.

Comment

Working...
                      X