This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Civ 2 source code

I don't know about anyone else but I often have warm fuzzy daydreams about how wonderful it would be if 2K Games released the source code so we could make all our Civ 2 fantasies come true. I know the Crusade for the code had been struggling on and off for at least the past five years.

Without indulging in my usual waffle (as if!) I would like to know how many people there are still around here would know what to do with the source code if we did manage to lay our hands on it. I am happy to experiment with it but I am by no means competent when it comes to programming!!!

The reason I am asking is that I am more than willing to take up the banner for the "Pretty please, Give us the Source Code" Brigade from Yaroslav and Eivind, as long as there are some people about who would actually know what to do with it and who could back up my pitch with the relevant technical jargon.

The way I see it, there are people with the talent to work with the code who don't have the time to chase around trying to get it, there are people who would really like to get the code but wouldn't know what to do with it if they did get it and there is a mass of old CivII fans out there who would love love to give a rejuvenated CivII a blast (there were millions of copies sold and everyone is on the net nowadays!).

The recent correspondence between Eivind and Brian Reynolds (see last couple of pages of: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showth...=88765&page=15) was very encouraging and definitely progress. Although he did not get the code he did receive the blessing of the creator.

Reading Mercator's comments on the amount of programming work it would take to get stuff done is a fairly daunting, but I would imagine that the release of the source code could rouse some help from the community, a lot of which I believe is silent but still lurking somewhere in cyberspace. I would imagine that something like the release of the code might create enough interest to fire some nostalgia receptors!

My personal aims for the source code would be fairly simple:
    -Increase the number of Civs available (IE 7+)
    -Increase the maximum number of units available
    -Increase the maximum number of cities available
    -Increase the size of the Events file if possible

Not hugely imaginative I know, but with these simple additions I could have a lot of fun in multiplayer games and I am sure that the single player devotees would find these and a hundred other minor mods a revelation.

I'm ranting now but I have drunk a lot of red wine (not my usual tipple) and I'm going to go for it Games like Doom and Sim City (and Call to Power!) have had their source codes released. I have seen many excellent major mods such as Rome Total Realism (admittedly a much more recent game) which must have taken hundreds of hours of effort by dedicated (unpaid) modders. I know these things are possible!

Maybe its the wine () but I just feel that if we don't get the source code soon then we never will. I'm willing to be as charming and persuasive as I possibly can be in my quest to get hold of the code, or die trying. All I really need to know is if there is at least one person will know what the hell to do with it if we succeed!?!

I reason decided to post here rather than at Civ Fanatics (where Eivind last posted) was that this site still some has credible signs of life (sorry to be rude to CivFan diehards) and if anything is ever going to be done with the code if/when it if released it will almost certainly be here.

I AM waffling now, definitely. If you think there is a realistic possibility of at least getting hold of the code (I mean where would you keep it, I'm that clueless!) then Give me some encouragement. If you think it is a lost cause give me your reasons so that I can weigh up the odds. Can't see that I've got anything to lose by asking!
    SCENARIO LEAGUE FORUM
    SCENARIO LEAGUE WIKI SITE
    SL INFORMATION THREAD
    CIV WEBRING MULTIPLAYER FORUM

I was drunk when I wrote the previous post but I did mean what I said. I'm not looking for volunteers for programing or anything, I was just interested to find out if there is anyone still involved in the community who would know what to do with the code if by some miracle we did manage to lay our hands on it?
    SCENARIO LEAGUE FORUM
    SCENARIO LEAGUE WIKI SITE
    SL INFORMATION THREAD
    CIV WEBRING MULTIPLAYER FORUM

Comment

Yes, and you posted the same thread twice Refer to the other one for my response.
      Find my civ2 scenarios here

Ave Europa, nostra vera Patria!

Comment

Working...
      X