Should I get on Steam for this?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should I get on Steam for this?

Includes 5 items: X-COM: Apocalypse, X-COM: Enforcer, X-COM: Interceptor, X-COM: Terror From the Deep, X-COM: UFO Defense
    "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Well 2.99 for 5 games is pretty good. Personaly of those I think the only must have one is the first one: Xcom Ufo Defense. If you never have played this game you are missing one of the great games of all time.

Terror from the deep(number 2 in the series) was pretty much the same game but set underwater(interesting idea) with worse graphics than the origonal(blockier graphics/lurid colour schemes) and a brickwall of a learning curve.

Apocolypse went pseudo realtime/turnbased in the combat(which i didn't really like), set the game in much smaller area(the first too games encompased the entire world(plus mars in Ufo defense)), introduced a love it or hate it 1950's graphic style(think big american cars from that era with lots of chrome etc), and lost much of the deliberate strat/tactics of the first two titles.

Interceptor took the series into 3D space combat(real time, like a flight sim/shooter kind of thing. It was based around the first game where you had to intercept(where the game name comes from) the enemy Ufo's with your interceptor jets, shoot them down and send in the Xcom team to find the debris etc. In this game you just play the role of an Interceptor pilot and shoot down the aliens in 3D. That was about it. For the time the graphics were decent and the game is fun, BUT not of the cerebral nature of Xcom1+2+3.

Enforcer keeps up the shallow shooter tradition the series had started to follow. You play a 'robot'/mech and you shoot stuff in 3D. thats about it.

So if you are someone who has never played any of these games the only must have is the first game imho, none of the remakes/improvements of that game actualy progressed the series, infact none of the more modern attempts to remake Xcom have either - it(Ufo Defense) still remains one of the top PC games ever, a must have. And the 3D action titles in the series only detracted from the good name, and you can find dozens of better 3D action games.

BUT 2.99 for all those games is great value - the first game by itself is easily worth more(n terms of gameplay/content/goodness) than most of todays releases. So 2.99 for that is a no-brainer, plus i suspect this Steam version will be XP/modern PC friendly, the origonal was a DOS/w98 only game.

It comes down to how much you want to use Steam? ebay/amazon could get you the first game(but then you have the DOS compatability issues on XP/Vista etc), but not for 2.99 only i suspect.

I bought the original game 3 times over the years(once on amiga, once on PC, then again on PC in a double pack with Terror from the deep), and if i ever lost it(again) i would be pretty much happy to pay anything to get it again. But then i rate is as number 1 in my all time top ten

Comment

It's £2.99 so what the worse that can happen?

As El Cid says if you haven't played the first game, you probably should. If you like it the sequel is pretty good. Apocalypse adds some new wrinkles and you can play in real time if you want to, to mix things up a bit.

I haven't played the later games.......not sure they got a proper release.

Comment

Had the price been the regular one, 14.99 USD, I'd have recommended you to buy it from GamersGate, which has better terms of use. But for that price, go for it.
        Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10
        I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalms 139.14a
        Also active on WePlayCiv.

Comment

El_Cid, the games are £2.99 each, with a reduction for buying them all.

In which case I'm very tempted by UFO Defence, but wouldn't bother with the others.

Comment

hmmm ok, odd i thought when i first looked at the link they had the whole lot for 2.99. Anyway yeah 2.99 for the first game(XP/Vista friendly) is a great deal.

Some people might think it looks like a dog now, but as this is LotM and i know we come from the same thought process about gameplay over graphics, then i feel happy recomending this to him if he has never played. Shame it's just available on steam, i'd prefer a less intrusive system to get it from if i was looking for my first play of this

Comment

I'd mention the Lower Canines, but they don't have a link to it anymore. They still have a description and a link to the manual, if I'm not mistaken.
              Age and treachery will defeat youth and skill every time.

Comment

It was 4.99 USD for the whole collection, but the offer seems to be over now. Now it cost the same for all of the games as on GG. Then I'd rather buy it there if I were you.
                Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10

Comment

Yeah the original offer that was posted was all the games for a pittance. Even if that isn't on anymore probably still worth £2.99 for the original game.

Comment

Look at this offer: http://www.gamersgate.com/index.php?...w&sku=DDB-XCOM

X-com Complete pack for only 7.49 USD/€.

Comment

Working...
                    X