Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Freeciv old-style CivWin/Civ2 tileset (beta version)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Freeciv old-style CivWin/Civ2 tileset (beta version)

I made an "old style" looking tileset for Freeciv:

It`s CivWin terrain with Civ2 trident units.
    This is uncompleted yet (beta version; beta=bugs).
    You can play Civ2 mode in "traditional" Civ1 (non-iso) way.
    Have a fun!
    Last edited by adamo900; January 12, 2009, 18:29.

Updated:
    - units and cities has now solid colours, like it was in CivDOS,
    - cities has black, large numbers in the middle of the tile (traditional way):

Comment

Good God that is ugly.
      "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
      Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Looks fair enough to me for what it tries to accomplish. Though personally, I prefer Civ II's usual graphics. These do have the advantage of having the units "pop" out and be more visible. I like the MINE graphics as well.

adamo- please realize that Asher carps about everything on these forums. Stick around a while and you'll find that out.

Good Luck,
        DC.
        -->Visit CGN!
        -->"Production! More Production! Production creates Wealth! Production creates more Jobs!"-Wendell Willkie -1944

Comment

Yes, I realize some things are very ugly, like some "special resources" on the map (such as "iron" on mountains, "wine" or "mine" bitmaps on hills). But these are taken from the other tileset! Some special resources in "tileset.png" file needs to be replaced with something more sensible. I told you that this tileset isn`t finished; there`s a lot to do yet!

Thanx for the comment, DC!

Comment

Good luck with finishing it up.
            -->Visit CGN!
            -->"Production! More Production! Production creates Wealth! Production creates more Jobs!"-Wendell Willkie -1944

Comment

check out what I found on youtube. A guy is playing Civ1DOS:

First Civilization (DOS one), used 16 colours and small 16x16 tiles. It might be possible to do a special tileset for freeciv, just like you see on video, that uses 16x16x16 tiles, but 16x16 would be rather small ones... what do you think, is it worth to do?

Comment

...That's what I thought your aim was? Is it possible to just extract the tileset from the original game files? That would speed up a lot of your job.
                -->Visit CGN!

Comment

No, what I did, was taking terrain tiles from CivWin (and units tiles from Civ2 to adapt it for the Civ2 playing mode); CivWin has 32x32x64 (64 colours) terrain tiles, while first Civilisation (Dos one) has 16x16x16 (only 16 colours) tiles. That`s a significant difference. That`s why I used those bigger ones from CivWin. DOS tiles looks yet more "classical", but it might be too small to play in modern (like 1280x800) monitors.

Comment

Oh, I didn't understand that Civ I Dos and Civ I Win had different terrain tiles.
                    Thank you for the correction.
                    -->Visit CGN!

Comment

Working...
                    X