No announcement yet.

Console Wars VI

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tam's playing Fable 2 right now (right behind me). My god, that game is annoying. Perhaps it could be played as a real RPG, or maybe she's playing it on some low level or something... but not only does it seem to be primarily about farting and making other funny noises, but the combat is RIDICULOUSLY easy. I mean, good lord. She uses nothing but the sword, and just runs at people who are shooting at her, EN MASSE, with GUNS, from like thirty feet away. And doesn't die. And doesn't even appear to lose HIT POINTS. Maybe she accidentally entered some sort of cheat code?
    Definitely not a game for real gamers, at least not so far. Unless you like the Sims, anyway. (No offense, flash, I'm sure there are perfectly good elements of it... but it's most definitely not my sort of game.)

Also, I just downloaded a 142 MB video clip (outtakes). I figure, 10 minutes or so... nope, under 2:30. Welcome to the world of 1080p I guess... (Actually, I think it was natively 720p, not 1080p... at least if I say "native resolution" it gets smaller)...
    <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
    I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Fable II is not a difficult game, nor is it intended to be. I think you're missing the point if you expect it to be.
      "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
      Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Fable2 seemed to be more social-development oriented. Fallout3 was much more personal development.

In Fable2 you could get married, buy houses and businesses, have kids, etc. In Fallout3 you had a large number of options about how your personal character develops, but your longterm effects on the surrounding world is not as broad as Fable's.

Personally, I think Fallout3's the better game, but I'm pretty certain that's just down to personal preference. I watched my roommate play Fable2 and I have no doubts it's also an excellent game.
        "lol internet" ~ AAHZ

Comment

Definitely not a game for real gamers, at least not so far. Unless you like the Sims, anyway. (No offense, flash, I'm sure there are perfectly good elements of it... but it's most definitely not my sort of game.)

Also, I just downloaded a 142 MB video clip (outtakes). I figure, 10 minutes or so... nope, under 2:30. Welcome to the world of 1080p I guess... (Actually, I think it was natively 720p, not 1080p... at least if I say "native resolution" it gets smaller)...
          It is definitely easy, but trying to get bonus experience by doing special moves makes it more challenging. No offense taken, but I really wouldn't consider Fallout 3 a game for real gamers either, it was a huge disappointment in my opinion, not compared to the earlier fallout games since I haven't played those, but in general.
          Kids, you tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try. -Homer

Comment

Interesting. I've played all the Fallout games and thought this one was by far the best. (And not because the others were bad either. It really did a great job of carrying the RPG elements into a FPS game.)
            "lol internet" ~ AAHZ

Comment

Originally posted by Asher View Post
              I'm not changing any rules. My point is simply that El_Cid is behind me. I've played all those games years ago.

A year ago he said nothing but bad things about consoles. Then he got a PS2 and he's liking it, catching up on the games library. The obvious implication from my statement is eventually he'll catch up to the consoles he's slamming now, like the Xbox 360. He's just behind, is all.

I was obviously not making any qualitative judgement about the quality of the games (in fact, if anything I said Ico -- which is from 2001 -- is a great game), I was making a statement about El_Cid's gaming experience relative to the rest of us who have played the PS2-gen games and moved on to the latest and greatest.

I'm upset I need to spell this out for you, I really feel people on this site should be bright enough to spot the obvious implications on their own without this verbosity.
              Asher...Asher.....way to completely miss the point, even though i actualy spelt it out for you(the clue was in the hours of sp gameplay offered!).

I will not be getting a 360/PS3/Wii or probably any newer console either. I think with this current gen the kind of games(mostly) being made are not games i especialy like(graphics over content/short length of sp play), and it is entirely a trend in the industry - that of 'dumber' gaming(generly speaking) with less hours per buck, unles you can stand mp, which i can't unless it's hotseat or LAN matches with people i actualy like in real life.

No this gen has proven to me(from what i've seen of it, and read about the games) that AAA console gaming is now just a marketing exercise first and foremost - and less about the game. That is just my opinion on it and it's not my kind of 'progress'.

Ico does sound great and it's only it's 'greatness' that apeals to me. I'm prepared to endure a short sp game to 'experience' it, frankly nothing on current gen has that appeal for me so far.

The PS2 is probably the best console platform of all time and that is entirely down to its library of games, the variety, the average amount of sp play time per title - compared to my xbox and GC it is easily the better game console, and the last i will own - i dont need more from a console, the PC is my prefered gaming platform

Comment

Originally posted by Alinestra Covelia View Post
                Interesting. I've played all the Fallout games and thought this one was by far the best. (And not because the others were bad either. It really did a great job of carrying the RPG elements into a FPS game.)
                I would have probably liked it more if they kept it a RPG. I am a big fan of FPS, but fallout 3 is a terrible FPS, imo. There is no cover system, the zoom doesn't zoom in enough, and the hit boxes are too big.
                Kids, you tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try. -Homer

Comment

Originally posted by El_Cid View Post
                  Asher...Asher.....way to completely miss the point, even though i actualy spelt it out for you(the clue was in the hours of sp gameplay offered!).

I will not be getting a 360/PS3/Wii or probably any newer console either.
                  The only person you're fooling here is yourself.

I remember your anti-console venom prior. You just are clearly ignorant about the platform -- then you got some exposure to the PS2 and liked it. The 360 is definitely better than the PS2 games-wise, I say this as somebody who has played both. You'll get to the 360 eventually, but like LOTM, you'll get there once everyone else has moved on.

Some people are always just one step behind.
                  "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

Originally posted by flash9286 View Post
                    I would have probably liked it more if they kept it a RPG. I am a big fan of FPS, but fallout 3 is a terrible FPS, imo. There is no cover system, the zoom doesn't zoom in enough, and the hit boxes are too big.
                    Fallout 3 is an RPG. It's not a classic RPG, mind you, but it's just as much an RPG as Fable is...

I think games have to have SOME challenge to be fun. Obviously that's my opinion, and plenty of people enjoy Fable; but there just didn't seem to be any difficulty to it. And, I don't like The Sims, so ...

I'm also not someone who likes getting the absolute maximum points in a game; excepting puzzle games, and even then, not nearly as much as most people I think.

Comment

Originally posted by Asher View Post
                      The only person you're fooling here is yourself.

I remember your anti-console venom prior. You just are clearly ignorant about the platform -- then you got some exposure to the PS2 and liked it. The 360 is definitely better than the PS2 games-wise, I say this as somebody who has played both. You'll get to the 360 eventually, but like LOTM, you'll get there once everyone else has moved on.

Some people are always just one step behind.
                      I know the answer to this question already, but I'll ask it for form's sake:
                      Are you aware that people can have tastes not equal to yours? Ever?

Comment

I'm aware of that, but I'm also aware the 360 has better versions of games with very similar gameplay to that which he likes on the PS2.

We're talking about a game platform here, not specific games tastes.

I'm not sure if you remember his anti-console venom. It's basically the same **** he says about the 360 now, but before it was aimed to all consoles. Then he got a PS2 and liked it. The same thing will happen with the 360. He's very predictable...

Comment

Originally posted by snoopy369 View Post
                          Fallout 3 is an RPG. It's not a classic RPG, mind you, but it's just as much an RPG as Fable is...

I think games have to have SOME challenge to be fun. Obviously that's my opinion, and plenty of people enjoy Fable; but there just didn't seem to be any difficulty to it. And, I don't like The Sims, so ...

I'm also not someone who likes getting the absolute maximum points in a game; excepting puzzle games, and even then, not nearly as much as most people I think.
                          I meant that to say turn based RPG. I would not mind if Fable 2 was more challenging. But as I said before my main gripe with Fallout 3 is the gameplay, it is not well implemented. I don't count seeing the same head being shoot off animation in VATS over and over again as fun.

Comment

My 'console hate' has never been about the platform? I've had consoles since the atari 2600, sega master system and nintendo64, and home computers since the zx81, Atari800, Amiga's(and to go from an atari to an Amiga proves i'm not 'platform locked' ok - i go where the good games are.) etc that run alongside the consoles systems cronologicaly speaking.

I was late to PC gaming however, and only recently(well a few years back) needed to go above 1Ghz, as i had been a happy 'classic PC gamer' for many years trying out all the older PC games.

My attitude with the current modern console has changed, as has the industry; as it has been changing for the last decade or so. That change hasn't developed into the kind of games we were all dreaming about playing a decade ago. I think it, the games industry, has simply become the victim of it's own success and current modern console gameing is now mostly just a product of that as big business has got involved and costs and risks have risen.

I've been saying it for years and now people like EA's CEO and others are also saying that costs in dev need to come down. Modern consoles and their games are all about graphics(expensive) as far as i can tell and quite honestly nothing i have played on them does anything better than what i can get on the PS2(other than push a higher res game engine around), xbox or GC.

I'm only loving the PS2 now as it was the only console of the last generation i had never tried. I find it a great machine, and more importantly it has a huge library of what i consider great sp games(compared to the xbox and GC).
                            For me it's the best console gaming can get(lhaving looked at the 360/PS3 and Wii), so no for sure i will not be lining up to get on this bandwagon.

Console gaming probably stops with the PS2 for me - i just cant see the kind of games i value coming out of the mainstream on the current or future gens, like i've said many times before, the AAA industry has become too market driven, too accountant run, too 'professional' if you like.

I certainly dont feel like i'm missing out on anything, or else i would be joining the party surely? I'm more than happy with my gaming prospects and my console fix is going to be a longtime satisfied looking at the hours i'm going to get out of the PS2 and the games it has

You might find that impossible in your 'must have latest MS hardware' world view? I'm just into gaming and great games, my past history in games shows this gen and future gens are sadly lacking for me. Deal with it. I dont agree with your view point on this.

You just get on with running out of decent games as the newer consoles carry on to form, and the future follows it to the 1 hour photo-realisitc game ok

Comment

Your post is so stupid that it truly is incomprehensible. WTF are you talking about, especially regarding "must have latest MS hardware"?

It truly makes no sense. I don't even know how you can pretend to assert PS2 is the best console gaming can get if you've never owned any of the consoles I assert to be better.

As someone who owns a PS2, PS3, Xbox, Xbox 360, Gamecube, Wii, and high-end gaming PC I can tell you that the 360 is the pinnacle of gaming right now. I can tell you this because I play an insane amount of games on all of the platforms and have experience with them all. I've played virtually all of those that you've just discovered and are raving about.

You've less platforms and far less gaming experience than me, but you refuse to listen to advice from someone who is more experienced than you in that area. That's fine, have fun with your PS2 -- but don't knock my prediction that you'll eventually get a 360 and find it to be better. Because the games on the 360 are better than the games on the PS2, so it's inevitable.

If you like the PS2, you'll love the 360.

Comment

I've tried a 360 and wasn't impressed, same for the PS3. Noise was one issue(it seems you can get a pretty noisey 360 or a not so noisey one, random pick?). It has nothing to do with the hardware and everything to do with the games. I promise you i will never own either, and am very happy about that. Unless something sysmic happens in the games industry i doubt I will ever get a new 'future' console either. And i've stated the reason so many times to you that i wont repeat them.

I'm not impressed with 90% of current AAA(console) games. I learnt to dislike mp games on consoles thanks to the xbox experience, so i play mp the way i like best, on PC with good friends. Your view of 360 gaming is just completely the opposite of my experience of it - if i liked it i would get one, i dont so i wont. simple. thats all there is to it. modern console games are not to my taste. I have plenty of other options.

Comment

Working...
                                X