• Console Wars VI

Yahtzee's awards:

Franchise Murder: Metal Gear Solid 4
    Most Disappointing: Entire survival horror genre
    Stupidest main character: Prince of Persia
    Surprisingly poor quality: Grand Theft Auto 4
    Unsurprisingly poor quality: Sonic Unleashed
    ****ing sweet game: Saint's Row 2
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

I watched that earlier this week - hilarious as usual.

Comment

Yeah, but Wii Sports is now the #1 selling game of all time! Woohoo!
      (\__/) Save a bunny, eat more Smurf!
      (='.'=) Sponsored by the National Smurfmeat Council
      (")_(") Smurf, the original blue meat! © 1999, patent pending, ® and ™ (except that "Smurf" bit)

Comment

Asher himself has two copies.

Comment

Asher is at work developing the Wii's latest mature rated title. It'll feature various heterosexual adult situations.

Needless to say he's fervently wishing he was on a different project!

(Just kidding Asher, you know I don't mean it. We're sure you're really okay developing for the Wii. Very professional of you.)
          "lol internet" ~ AAHZ

Comment

PS2 for the win!

Comment

I love gamasutra's obsession with the PS2.

Has anyone told them that PS2 games are not selling at all anymore, and PS2 console sales are in a nosedive?

What a pointless article.
              "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
              Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

"A lot of what is important now, is the tie ratio of software to hardware, and that tie ratio is significant... it goes anywhere from 11 to about 20 in terms of that tie ratio, so you're looking to everyone doing well there."

Claiming that almost 25 percent of 2008 NPD TRST sales came from PS2 game sales, "the PS2 consumer is still actively purchasing games. Greatest Hits, in a tough economic time like we're in now, which has a proven value message, at $19.99." - a big claim maybe? but that would suggest PS2 games sales are decent still. And shifting thier 50 millionth PS2 is a pretty big landmark in any book. How many 360's are out there? ;-)

Comment

But isn't it just the case that there are lots of PS2s hanging around from the last generation, and therefore PS2 game sales still make up a large proportion of total sales?

Unless you have numbers to show that new PS2 hardware sales are also beating the 360 etc.

Comment

The sales numbers for consoles (hardware) was released for the Norwegian market 2008 the other day. Wii won over PS3 by a large margin, which is not surprising(although PS3 sells very well on the name over here, a shame really). But what was surprising, was that the 360 was not included in the statistics, as Microsoft has refused to reveal their sales numbers.
                    Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10
                    I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalms 139.14a
                    Also active on WePlayCiv.

Comment

@ Dr.Spike, yeah i'm sure the new sales of PS2 is pretty small compared to the current gen. Still unless you are talking the Wii, a console's success can be measured by software sales. The PS2 is holding it's own in the company of the current gen, which i don't find surprising looking at it's range of games.

@ Nikolai, strange for MS to not release their sales figures? especialy as they usualy do well, especialy compared to the PS3. Anyway i got this article on the crazy european fascination with the Wii:

Thats alot of Wii's going down in europe!!!

Comment

Well if you have a PS2, that can play PS1 games too. PS3 doesn't have reverse compatibility and it doesn't have a lot of games out yet. Maybe that's the reason?
                        "lol internet" ~ AAHZ

Comment

PS3 can play PS1 and PS2 titles. Or, it could until a few months back. That version is now out of production, officially that is.
                          Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10
                          I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalms 139.14a
                          Also active on WePlayCiv.

Comment

New NPDs (from GAF, via Qto3)

DS 3.04M
                            Wii 2.15M
                            X360 1.44M
                            PSP 1.02M
                            PS3 726K
                            PS2 410K

WII PLAY W/ REMOTE 1.46M
                            360 CALL OF DUTY: WORLD AT WAR 1.33M
                            WII FIT W/ BALANCE BOARD 999K
                            WII MARIO KART W/ WHEEL 878K
                            WII GUITAR HERO WORLD TOUR 859K
                            360 GEARS OF WAR 2 745K
                            360 LEFT 4 DEAD 629K
                            NDS MARIO KART 540K
                            PS3 CALL OF DUTY: WORLD AT WAR 533K
                            WII ANIMAL CROSSING: CITY FOLK 497K
                            "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

Originally posted by DrSpike View Post
                              But isn't it just the case that there are lots of PS2s hanging around from the last generation, and therefore PS2 game sales still make up a large proportion of total sales?

Unless you have numbers to show that new PS2 hardware sales are also beating the 360 etc.

the 360 outsold the PS2 by 3 to 1 in December in the US. Thats not PS2 beating the 360, but its not exactly the PS2 not selling either.

to look at it another way, the difference in sales between total HD console sales and Wii sales was far smaller than total PS2 sales.
                              Last edited by lord of the mark; January 15, 2009, 21:08.
                              "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

Working...
                              X