Seriously, why olive green?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seriously, why olive green?

It looks like most of the hiccups in the vB3 conversion have been adequately dealt with (with a few exceptions), so the time has come to ask:

WTF is up with the the green theme color?

Seems to me that someone had to make a decision to go in this (green) direction, and it's clearly the most oft-stated complaints among the users. It's not just different; it's aggressively ugly. It's also about the only changeover complaint that seems to have gotten zero response from site management. So: How the heck did we end up here, and is there anything in the works to change it in the default style?

More importantly, will anyone on staff man up and admit to making this semi-tragic choice?
    Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
    RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

It's more a Fern Green.

Though I guess it could be an "Olive drab" Green (at least according to wikipedia's colors list).
    “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
    - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Someone had a colour swatch and said "Let's use this colour", and then somewhere between the selection and implementation, someone sneezed on the swatch.

The other thing to remember is that HTML accepts 'crap' as a valid colour. Be glad they didn't choose that.
      Ceeforee v0.1 - The Unofficial Civ 4 Editor -= Something no Civ Modder should ever be without =- Last Updated: 27/03/2009
      "Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean there's no conspiracy"

Comment

There should be an official poll for the color preference, with actual color swatches provided.

I was also shocked by the initial appearance of the green, but I was also shocked by the whole vB3 upgrade actually happening. I am okay with the green now.

Comment

Green

Blue
          Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. - Ben Franklin
          Iain Banks missed deadline due to Civ | The eyes are the groin of the head. - Dwight Schrute.
          One more turn .... One more turn .... | WWTSD

Comment

The green, red and white make the site look very spring-y (the season) and Greek.
            Contraria sunt Complementa. -- Niels Bohr
            Mods: SMAniaC (SMAC) & Planetfall (Civ4)

Comment

Any poll would have had Banana as the winner... and Green is the color of an unripe banana
              Monkey!!!

Comment

I was tempted to make a poll, but that's really more in the province of site management.

Interesting that no one from ACS staff has stepped up to address this issue.

This site change has doubtless taken many hours of time from Gramphos and others. But the Webtubes are a visual medium, and people will return more often to sites that appeal to them on that level. So I think it's fair - even necessary - to address the community's concerns.

I've managed the design and development of some pretty sizable commercial sites, so I know what it's taken to get this done. I'd hate to see all that effort go unappreciated because of this one minor issue.
                Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
                RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

I thought Gramphos said he was changing it as soon as the more pressing issues were addressed.

Comment

There are more people than I on the upgrade team. I've not been responsible for design, but have implemented some of the templates. There are other styles in the making, and we plan for styles with different color schemes.
                    Creator of the Civ3MultiTool

Comment

I started to reply but then accidentally refreshed the page in a way that killed my reply, and then had to go work. Darn boss and all.

Basically:

* Nearly everyone else is blue
                      * Green is not blue
                      * CFC is red
                      * Green is not red
                      * Therefore, Green is good

was roughly the idea. I don't hate the green color like y'all, though I certainly didn't pick it (and am working on a blue one that is not default-blue, therefore mildly better at least). I also don't think it's olive green (that's a lot more yellow/brown), but either way.
                      <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
                      I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Basically:

* Nearly everyone else is blue
                        * Green is not blue
                        * CFC is red
                        * Green is not red
                        * Therefore, Green is good

A good run-down Snoopy - and I full-heartedly agree!

I really don't mind the olive-drab green at all...but then, I did spend 20 years in the Army...
                        "One day if I do go to heaven, I'm going to do what every San Franciscan does who goes to heaven - I'll look around and say, 'It ain't bad, but it ain't San Francisco.'" - Herb Caen, 1996
                        "If God, as they say, is homophobic, I wouldn't worship that God." - Archbishop Desmond Tutu

Comment

To me, Poly is supposed to be Orange on Black... the only other website that ever came close to that in my travels around the net is my own Gold on Black website.
                          Ceeforee v0.1 - The Unofficial Civ 4 Editor -= Something no Civ Modder should ever be without =- Last Updated: 27/03/2009
                          "Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean there's no conspiracy"

Comment

well to me it's supposed to be gold (or some sort of yellow) and black, I think it was CivIII heavy theme... it was teh best

olives are great in real life, but the olive greenery on the web - not so much...
                            Socrates: "Good is That at which all things aim, If one knows what the good is, one will always do what is good." Brian: "Romanes eunt domus"
                            GW 2013: "and juistin bieber is gay with me and we have 10 kids we live in u.s.a in the white house with obama"

Comment

I'm reminded of the line in american graffiti.

"Piss yellow or puke green". Ugh.

Bring back blue styles, please!
                              Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                              "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                              2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Working...
                              X