Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The future of PC gaming - 2009 edition

Continued from:

The last item posted for discussion was the following article on 2008, with quite a lot of PC coverage:

talking on the future of PC gaming here is a quick note on a must have PC game, Space Rangers 2 has a new expansion: Reboot.

This is one series that i've heard a bit about, loved the sound of but not just got around to trying. You can also get the complete(DRM free) version from Impulse also:

Expansion:

Complete(DRM free):

these are the 'dollar' version links, but i'm sure if you look around you can get them in europe, i know Mr wardell was talking about setting that up in this thread here:

For me it's games like this that are the future of PC gaming. Games that the big AAA's mostly overlook due the percieved inherent risk factor in anything not using big 3D graphics engines.

Time i tried this awesome sounding game out i think

Comment

Sounds interesting. I'll check it out.
      Let us be lazy in everything, except in loving and drinking, except in being lazy – Lessing

Comment

I played SR2 when it came out about 2 years ago, quite addictive for about 2-3 weeks, then I lost interest, totally, and I was not done with the game.
        We're sorry, the voices in my head are not available at this time. Please try back again soon.

Comment

Well, HoI3 will probably be a huge hit when it comes to the stores in August. Other than that, PI has said they will announce something new sometime now in January. I think the growing online market, like GamersGate and Steam will be important for PC gaming in the future, but the prices need to be adjusted.
          Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10
          I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalms 139.14a
          Also active on WePlayCiv.

Comment

Originally posted by Spaced Cowboy View Post
            I played SR2 when it came out about 2 years ago, quite addictive for about 2-3 weeks, then I lost interest, totally, and I was not done with the game.
            What happened? another game? an annoying game 'feature'? I've now played the demo, but that is very short and just gives you the briefest taste(which seems very good btw).
            I'm pretty close to making this(Space Rangers 2 complete) my first online only purchase(just a digital download - no physical media), but am interested in what caused you to stop playing without finishing.

Comment

Seemed like the same old, same old. Missions get repetitive, equipment gets less exciting, and I never could get space combat working for me that well, so I think that was the clincher, the combat is automated mostly, me misses elite.
              We're sorry, the voices in my head are not available at this time. Please try back again soon.

Comment

Yeah i found the combat a bit odd in the demo - turn based kind of(which i dont mind at all) but with a simultanious resolve part. For a game that looks pure arcade for the space bit it does feel a bit wierd, but i can overlook that or even get used to it given a chance(which the short demo doesnt give you).

The biggest complaint i've seen is Pirates using planets to repair themselves on, seemingly without restriction even though they are pirates. so no police vipers in law abiding systems

Space combat seems best to avoid untill you can afford a decent ship with decent weapons(or so i've read). Even the training level robot drone to shoot up was very hard for me with a default mining laser! I nearly died twice and had to use up most my credit for repairs.

But if you played it for a few weeks i'm guessing you got quite far - improved your char and your ship enough?

hmmm well I had looked around for mods for the game, but none exist so that may put this on hold for me as being able to mod a game has become a clincher for me these days.

But i agree we need a new Eilte - a proper done decent Elite(although i still enjoy and play Elite plus/Oolite/FFE).

Comment

ok a few times i've seen people ask about DRM info sites, and I have wanted to know where to go to find out what games have what on them exactly. This is purely a PC game problem, and having been at the sharp end of DRM mesing my system up, it's become a "no-sale" issue for me completely. But as no publisher puts info on the game box saying just what it is installing it makes it very much a case of wait and see what people aresaying, like in the in-famous case of Spore for example.

Anyway I have some starting places to get this info now, so here is what i've found:

this seems to be a general 'anti-drm' site, covering most modern(the nasty stuff)DRM systems, but with a particular anti SecuRom slant - which i dont mind as it was that DRM that screwed my system. They do a list of games, DRM info, how to protect your PC etc.

Pretty good and comprehensive games list with DRM info

And the thread i found this info in, that may get more info as time goes on is here:

Comment

Originally posted by El_Cid View Post
                    Yeah i found the combat a bit odd in the demo - turn based kind of(which i dont mind at all) but with a simultanious resolve part. For a game that looks pure arcade for the space bit it does feel a bit wierd, but i can overlook that or even get used to it given a chance(which the short demo doesnt give you).

The biggest complaint i've seen is Pirates using planets to repair themselves on, seemingly without restriction even though they are pirates. so no police vipers in law abiding systems

Space combat seems best to avoid untill you can afford a decent ship with decent weapons(or so i've read). Even the training level robot drone to shoot up was very hard for me with a default mining laser! I nearly died twice and had to use up most my credit for repairs.

But if you played it for a few weeks i'm guessing you got quite far - improved your char and your ship enough?

hmmm well I had looked around for mods for the game, but none exist so that may put this on hold for me as being able to mod a game has become a clincher for me these days.

But i agree we need a new Eilte - a proper done decent Elite(although i still enjoy and play Elite plus/Oolite/FFE).

I played pretty much non-stop for 2 weeks (I remember having a cold and being home over a holiday to boot). The bad part was, that even after that amount of time, space combat was a pain, and you are always using up your credits for repairs.

You can only do so much trading and fed ex missions before that gets bland, good luck remembering where the pimp equipment was that you were saving for.

Eventually you are supposed to take on the bad guys, but even then with lots of upgrades, you run into the same problem. You'll run out of money trying to fight as there are no spoils from that.

I can't say what exactly made me not go back, maybe I burned it too quick by overplaying it.

That being said, some of the little mini missions, text games, and whatnot were refreshing. They are not all fedex missions. OTOH, some of the mini mission, text games, and whatnot could be annoyingly difficult to finish.

Comment

The epic saga of Command & Conquer Red Alert 3 continues this March with Uprising, a PC-exclusive standalone expansion that takes the single-player campaign to a whole new level.

A PC exclusive stand alone expansion pack. Do we still call this a "360 title"?
                      "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.†Martin Buber

Comment

Originally posted by lord of the mark View Post
                        http://kotaku.com/5126204/red-alert-...ising-in-march

A PC exclusive stand alone expansion pack. Do we still call this a "360 title"?
                        What is your major malfunction? Are you trying to be funny by being ridiculously stupid or is this honest confusion?

Red Alert 3 was a 360 title because it was released on the 360.

This "stand alone" expansion pack is going to be released on PC only (and actually has nothing to do with the Red Alert 3 game, and has no dependencies on it) and only by digital download. It is therefore not a 360 title.

Now would you please explain to me what the **** your point was? RA3 was a crap game that sold spectacularly terribly on all platforms, which is precisely why this new version is announced already. They need to recoup development costs and this is cheap and easy (no MS certification costs, etc).
                        "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                        Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

I think his point was to provoke such a response. Job done.

Comment

He's such a big man. Big man, he is.
                            "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                            Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

On the subject of RTS gaming it is still a genre where the PC is clearly superior, but it hasn't had a great game to work with for some time. SC2 is on the way of course, but in the mean time Dawn of War 2 is coming out in a couple of months and the early reports look promising. They are doing a beta for MP too which is a good sign.

Comment

Working...
                              X