No announcement yet.

The future of PC gaming - 2009 edition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• yeah it does sound like it's come on leaps and bounds to be able to run fps type games. what game did you try, do you have a link?

Comment

• This one is interesting. It's a sneak peak for an interview with the lead programmer at Paradox Interactive, Johan Andersson. Paradox is owner of GamersGate.

GameWatcher is a website that provides news, reviews, and guides for video games. We cover the latest games and provide in-depth analysis of them.

In an interview to be published soon on Strategy Informer, Johan Andersson, lead programmer on the Hearts of Iron and Europa Universalis series, said that PC games are still selling by an insane amount, making it difficult for the company to consider developing console based games.

“It’s been fifteen years since I last made a console game so I don’t know exactly what the hardware limitations would be. I haven’t thought about it, but I don’t know. PC games still sell insane amounts and considering how much online distribution is increasing sales; it’s easier to continue making PC games.” said Andersson.

Check back soon to find out why Britain’s his favourite nation to play as in Hearts of Iron and why there might not be any expansion packs for Hearts of Iron III.
      Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10
      I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalms 139.14a
      Also active on WePlayCiv.

Comment

• Woah, going fast here. While I was posting the sneak peak, they've already relesed the interview. The statement about no XPs was just the journalist's creative interpretation of Johan's "we're focusing 100% on the release of vanilla HoI3 right now".

GameWatcher is a website that provides news, reviews, and guides for video games. We cover the latest games and provide in-depth analysis of them.
        Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10

Comment

• good PC related read

lol at your remark about the expansions pack thing. So have you heard/know something different then?

I honestly think the myth about no money in PC games is exactly that. Sure your not going to be making a half million seller everytime, but with development costs starting from zero(at the extreme end!), you really dont need that in PC games.
          AAA publishers have the most to lose, but probably only have themselves to blame, if they were to look at the whole picture objectively(spiraling dev costs - why?/increasing piracy - why? etc).

I like paradox, even if their games have not quite hit the super sweet spot for me yet(CK is my favourite so far).

Comment

• Regarding the XP remark: Johan said it himself.

Comment

• I don't think anyone's suggesting there is NO money in PC games. Simply that many (especially large) publishers find it EASIER to make money in console games for a variety of reasons. Paradox would be the opposite - between their familiarity with PC games and the tools to design such, and the style of game they produce (strategy) being both hard to do on a console and not generally aimed at the console's core audience, there's no reason for them to switch to consoles. Similarly, there's little reason for EA to put out Tony Hawk on the PC.
              <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
              I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

• Originally posted by snoopy369 View Post
                I don't think anyone's suggesting there is NO money in PC games.
                Well it has become a self fullfilling prophecy in some ways, AAA publishers(many of them atleast) do actualy talk as if PC gaming is d00med, ergo so it is etc.

....Simply that many (especially large) publishers find it EASIER to make money in console games for a variety of reasons.
                Sometimes it is easier to shovel sh*t to a less discerning audience?(not actualy my words, i'm paraphrasing something an industry luminary said at one of the old GDC's), but i kind of understood the sentiment

....Paradox would be the opposite - between their familiarity with PC games and the tools to design such, and the style of game they produce (strategy) being both hard to do on a console and not generally aimed at the console's core audience, there's no reason for them to switch to consoles.
                Indeed, and why it's especialy galling to see good PC franchises swim the console way(often at the cost of the gameplay/experience) just becuase thats the popular crowd to hang out with currently.
                Similarly, there's little reason for EA to put out Tony Hawk on the PC.
                phew! lucky PC. But yeah i agree each platform has its strong points and from much experience at trying both, i find for me i prefer PC and strat games over most console offerings. Like hollywood in the 90's flashy special effects get in the way of my entertainment much of the time, the same kind of thing has been happening(over a good few years) to my gaming expereinces, especialy on console. But i can see why people like them as a platform.

[PC snob off]

a short article from John Carmack about that web browser based Quake thing.

Comment

• All right, I've figured out how to save PC gaming.

Asher, you're soon to have more free time, right? You make the games. I'll guard the door with a big bag of weed and a shotgun to keep people from saying stupid things around you. I'll say stupid things, but you'll just have to let it slide because I've got a gun to back my retarded mouth up.

Then you just work your mojo and make some kick-ass games at minimal cost, and we sell them.

To summarize:

1)Asher is locked in a room to make games, Felch smokes weed and strokes his Mossberg in a vaguely masturbatory fashion.
                  2)Magic **** happens. More weed is smoked.
                  3)Profit!
                  John Brown did nothing wrong.

Comment

• Originally posted by Felch View Post
                    All right, I've figured out how to save PC gaming.

Asher, you're soon to have more free time, right? You make the games. I'll guard the door with a big bag of weed and a shotgun to keep people from saying stupid things around you. I'll say stupid things, but you'll just have to let it slide because I've got a gun to back my retarded mouth up.

Then you just work your mojo and make some kick-ass games at minimal cost, and we sell them.

To summarize:

1)Asher is locked in a room to make games, Felch smokes weed and strokes his Mossberg in a vaguely masturbatory fashion.
                    3)Profit!
                    Charlie Manson tried this and it didnt produce very good results during the beta release
                    Hi, I'm RAH and I'm a Benaholic.-rah

Comment

• Didn't he jam with the Beach Boys?
                      John Brown did nothing wrong.

Comment

Didn't he jam with the Beach Boys?
                        Actually he jammed with some Hollywood exec's family
                        Hi, I'm RAH and I'm a Benaholic.-rah

Comment

All right, I've figured out how to save PC gaming.

To summarize:

3)Profit!
                          Asher's skillset demonstrably does not lie in making games. So I fear your scheme is flawed.

Comment

• The skillset does, the pay grade does not...
                            "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                            Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

• That should be less of an issue given your current circumstances, if the first bit is true.

Comment

• Another selection of indie games to try from gamasutra's latest 'Best of Indie' article:

And a great articel on game design

All PC games related i might add

Comment

Working...
                                X