No announcement yet.

The future of PC gaming - 2009 edition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A good interview with Creative Assembly, talk about the PC as a viable gaming platform etc:

"Look at, for example, the UK market -- I don't want to get too analytical, in [a recent] month, PC made up the third ranking, out of ten, in terms of market share for Ubisoft, out of ten formats. So, you've got Wii and 360, then in terms of percentage of the pie, the PC came in at third. When you consider that's behind the Nintendo Wii, that's not exactly a bad achievement. It's a fantastic piece of market share. " - extract from interview.

Now if they only dropped SecuRom(or other replacement nasty DRM) they would get my money every time.

Comment

another 'cheap and cheerful' entry from gamasutra's 'best of indie games' for this week:

Comment

I think a follow-up of sorts to the article above from an interview with Creative Assembly, i might have missed it first time around but it looks like this was posted after the main article. The comment from Jerane Alleyne sums it up nicely for me, if you are going to do cross platform, dont 'gimp' the PC game please.

Comment

Take the hint. You keep linking to gamasutra articles every time they publish something.

Gamasutra has their own forums if you wish to discuss their articles that badly.
          "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
          Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

It´s probably not true that he posts everytime they publish something. I assume there have been 42 or so stories published between story #22262 and story #22305...

Comment

Originally posted by Asher View Post
              Take the hint. You keep linking to gamasutra articles every time they publish something.

Gamasutra has their own forums if you wish to discuss their articles that badly.

Behave Asher. If you and El Cid can't discuss things amicably (as it appears you've agreed in another thread) then just pipe down when El Cid posts articles for people to look at. The forum is pretty dead these days anyways so discouraging posters from starting new discussions is the last thing we need.

Comment

This forum is dead because it's infested with boring posts like the ones El_Cid inflicts on us. When he's not sucking gamasutra's e-**** he's vomiting drivel like how Sony should focus on PS2 game development in 2009.
                "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

Originally posted by El_Cid View Post
                  A good interview with Creative Assembly, talk about the PC as a viable gaming platform etc:

"Look at, for example, the UK market -- I don't want to get too analytical, in [a recent] month, PC made up the third ranking, out of ten, in terms of market share for Ubisoft, out of ten formats. So, you've got Wii and 360, then in terms of percentage of the pie, the PC came in at third. When you consider that's behind the Nintendo Wii, that's not exactly a bad achievement. It's a fantastic piece of market share. " - extract from interview.

Now if they only dropped SecuRom(or other replacement nasty DRM) they would get my money every time.
                  The bit on TW was interesting. The dynamic here with consoles is interesting in that increasingly the RTS is coming to consoles (Halo Wars is out soon which will inevitably sell well with the Halo name) but they are simpler, streamlined games (although it is less apparent then, say, the awful Civ Rev game).

So like TBS this is an area the PC can continue to lead I think. DoW2, TW, and later SC2 mean there's a strong line-up.

Comment

Originally posted by Asher View Post
                    This forum is dead because it's infested with boring posts like the ones El_Cid inflicts on us. When he's not sucking gamasutra's e-**** he's vomiting drivel like how Sony should focus on PS2 game development in 2009.
                    As you know I don't agree with El Cid on that issue (or very many actually) but it's clearly false to suggest people don't post because of his odd views. I think it's a shame you can't discuss opposing viewpoints like an adult, and frankly this is more likely a contributing factor.

Comment

• Originally posted by DrSpike View Post
                      As you know I don't agree with El Cid on that issue (or very many actually) but it's clearly false to suggest people don't post because of his odd views. I think it's a shame you can't discuss opposing viewpoints like an adult, and frankly this is more likely a contributing factor.
                      It's not a valid viewpoint. It's utter lunacy.

I don't give holocaust deniers or moon-landing conspiracy theorists the time of day, either.

Comment

The bit on TW was interesting. The dynamic here with consoles is interesting in that increasingly the RTS is coming to consoles (Halo Wars is out soon which will inevitably sell well with the Halo name) but they are simpler, streamlined games (although it is less apparent then, say, the awful Civ Rev game).

So like TBS this is an area the PC can continue to lead I think. DoW2, TW, and later SC2 mean there's a strong line-up.
                        I found that article interesting also.....and the late addition I also posted that almost seemed(to me) to apologise for the first article for being too pro-PC, so concentrated on talking about how important the console platform was to CA(and Sega of course). I could almost see a few of the 'managment' reading the original article and giving someone a call to add another

But yeah personaly the stream-lining(to use the polite phrase) of PC titles because of an aim for console release is one of my pet peeves, and certain types of great games do not work well on console due to the hardware input/control issues, so it's good to see someone stand up and say just how viable the PC still is as a gaming platform. It made me happy anyway

Comment

• Well I've consistently said it. Outside of those narrow fields though (and MMOs) the PC is pretty much dominated by the consoles, especially the 360.

Comment

Well I've consistently said it. Outside of those narrow fields though (and MMOs) the PC is pretty much dominated by the consoles, especially the Wii.
                            Fixed

Comment

• Spoken by someone who doesn't understand console gaming.

The Wii has undeniably cornered the market on My Little Pony and shovelware games, but it is nowhere close to owning the market in terms of RPGs, FPS, etc.

Comment

• it was a referenced joke - keep up!

in other news it can be claimed that western europe is pirate scum!!:

Interesting they don't mention the uk as a hive of pirate activity - i wouldn't have guessed that...but that is very cool from my point of view

Comment

Working...
                                X