The Witcher Enhanced Edition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Witcher Enhanced Edition

So I finally finished fallout and now have time to get to this. (I searched, there was no specific Witcher thread)

Interesting update scheme since I have the original.

DL the 931MB patch, DL the 468MB English language pack, and I also got the 1.2GB extras (English) since the website is only about 1/2 in English and it was not clear if I needed this or not.

After all the downloading, I applied the patch, and it took about 45 minutes to an hour to just patch the game, the patcher just kept running in the background with a message bar that said it may take up to 2 hours to complete the upgrade/patch.

Anyway, so I finally got to play.

Interesting choices as you can play isometric view or OTS (over the shoulder). I tried iso for a bit, but the camera was wonking out on me and I could not navigate worth a crap.

OTS has its issues too, but playable once you turn down mouse sensitivity to 1. At the default of 5, about 1/8" of lateral movement will cause the witcher to spin around 360 degrees, making it very easy to get turned around.

There is so much to like in this game. Good story so far, and combat is tough, I picked the normal setting, I can't imagine how it would be on hard. You really have to use your buffs instead on just holding on to them.

Anyway, I guess I'll get back to playing it, as I'm still in chapter one.
    We're sorry, the voices in my head are not available at this time. Please try back again soon.

I played it through back when the original game had been out for a couple of months, and really liked it. Unfortunately, I lost almost all my computer games in the fire back in July and I never replaced that one, so I didn't download the Enhanced Edition when they released it. If I do get the game again, I'll just buy the European EE release from Gogamer; they have it.
    Age and treachery will defeat youth and skill every time.

Comment

I wasn't entirely sold on the original - not really free form enough for me. Also a few too many annoying features such as the inventory.

Th enhanced edition solves some of these though. Doesn't really change the underlying game but tidying up quite a few parts of it. Big bonus points to the developers for making it free to purchasers of the original game - it's quite a patch!

Even the free adventures showing off the mod maker are pretty good.

Comment

I'll probably play this when I get back to PC games.

Comment

Great game.

If you have issues with CTDs, try turning off the auto-save functionality. Worked for me.

Igni ftw!

Comment

No CTDs so far, but I've been killed more in this game so far than I ever did in FO3. So autosave is really helping me at this point.

I did have one instance of the screen not coming back after a meditation and had to kill the app.

One aspect that is hard to get used to, your health slowly returns over time, even if you take a health potion (this only speeds up the regen). Sometimes I forget I'm wounded and go off to places I should only go at full health. Results: Dead Witcher.
            We're sorry, the voices in my head are not available at this time. Please try back again soon.

Comment

Did anyone actually finish this?

Comment

I finished the original game. Haven't tried the EE yet.
                <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
                I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Short version, what is the game about?
                  Hi, I'm RAH and I'm a Benaholic.-rah

Comment

The Witcher takes place in a medieval fantasy world and follows the story of Geralt, one of a few remaining "witchers"—traveling monster hunters for hire, gifted with unnatural powers. The game's system of "moral choices" as part of the storyline was noted for its time-delayed consequences and lack of black-and-white morality.
                    Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!

Comment

It is very close to Oblivion, but without scaling monsters, and not quite as polished (not by much though). Also it has an edgy adult type theme like FO3.

Comment

It is very close to Oblivion, but without scaling monsters, and not quite as polished (not by much though). Also it has an edgy adolescent type theme like FO3.
                        There, fixed.
                        Let us be lazy in everything, except in loving and drinking, except in being lazy – Lessing

Comment

Collector cards of your "conquests" = adolescent.
                          The rest of it - adult.

The first is enough to bring it down, IMO. The rest of it I liked. I also finished the original.
                          Age and treachery will defeat youth and skill every time.

Comment

Gramps, you'll appreciate it if not only for the regular banging of women by the tall dark stranger that is your character
                            <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
                            I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Originally posted by snoopy369 View Post
                              Gramps, you'll appreciate it if not only for the regular banging of women by the tall dark stranger that is your character
                              Soundsworth it to me
                              Hi, I'm RAH and I'm a Benaholic.-rah

Comment

Working...
                              X