PolyCast Christmas Special 2008: "Have a Merry Little Humbug"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PolyCast Christmas Special 2008: "Have a Merry Little Humbug"

'Tis the season for Civving! The second annual PolyCast (PC) Christmas Special, "Have A Merry Little Humbug", is now available for listening. Regular co-hosts Daniel "DanQ" Quick, Makahlua, Imran Siddiqui and Annalee "Cartimandua" Barney are joined by four show co-hosts from sibling show ModCast. They are Tony "GarretSidzaka" Kiehl, Kenneth "Impaler[WrG]" Ferland and John "bt_oz" Archer with Tim "ruff_hi" Pratt.

An official podcast of Apolyton Civilization Site and a nominee in the "Best Produced" and "Gaming" categories of the 2008 Podcast Awards, PolyCast is a bi-weekly audio production in an ongoing effort to give the Civilization community an interactive voice on game strategy; its third season is to begin on January 18th, 2009 with the release of its sixtieth episode. Focusing on Civ modding, ModCast's second season is to begin on January 25th, 2009 with the release of its milestone twenty-fifth episode.

To date, ACS is the only known community on the Web to produce its own Civ podcasts.
    PolyCast Co-Host, Owner and Producer: entertaining | informing civ
    >> PolyCast (Civ strategy), ModCast (Civ modding), TurnCast (Civ multiplay); One More Turn Dramedy

Summary of Topics

- 04m41s | Village
    The Christmas City Cityset for Civilization III.
    - 06m02s | Generosity
    A Christmas Play-by-Email Game of CivIII where scoring is based on gifting to others.
    - 09m03s | Getting
    A short joke about the difference between giving and getting at Christmas.
    - 09m30s | Poem
    The poem "You Come to Play" by 'CivFan91'... in song form.
    - 11m32s | Name
    Revealing a certain something of one who has been a regular-host from the show's beginning.
    - 12m45s | Story
    "A Humbug Carol" written by John "bt_oz" Archer and produced by Daniel "DanQ" Quick, based on "A Christmas Carol" by Charles Dickens.
    - 20m45s | Civmas
    With inspiration and some content from a related thread, presenting "The Twelve Days of Civmas" based on "The Twelve Days of Christmas" carol.

- Intro/Outro | Miscellaneous
    Imran's pretends to be confused about what this special is about, followed soon by being genuinely confused by a certain acronymn; some co-hosts adapting a 1970's television show's theme song for their own purposes, what is more than enough, and an extended blooper reel.
    >> PolyCast (Civ strategy), ModCast (Civ modding), TurnCast (Civ multiplay); One More Turn Dramedy

Comment

Downloading now.

I don't know why he saved my life. Maybe in those last moments he loved life more than he ever had before. Not just his life - anybody's life, my life. All he'd wanted were the same answers the rest of us want. Where did I come from? Where am I going? How long have I got? All I could do was sit there and watch him die.

Comment

Originally posted by Nugog
        Downloading now.

Speedy.

Enjoy.

Comment

Why not rename "Poly Cast" to Fanatic Cast, since all you discuss are topics started at civfanatics?
          "

Comment

Originally posted by EPW
            Why not rename "Poly Cast" to Fanatic Cast, since all you discuss are topics started at civfanatics?

Not all of the topics -- the story topic at least isn't (bt_oz's creation), and I don't believe the joke topic is either. For this special, it was only on CFC that I could find any topics that were both Civilization and Christmas related at the time of recording (December 6th). As owned, recorded, produced, published, hosted and marketed by Apolyton, PolyCast has been and remains an appropriate name. But PolyCast is a Civ community podcast -- not just Apolyton's.

If you look through PolyCast's current and archived episodes (and the first season too for that matter), you will note a variety of combinations of topic 'sources'. Some are almost if not entirely based on Poly threads, CFC threads, a combination of both and/or mixed in with some on the official 2K forums (with News items generally falling under any of these). Overall I believe there are more CFC threads than Poly threads covered, yes, but that is generally a reflection of the greater (Civ) forum traffic at CFC.

Perhaps instead of "EPW", your username should be "Scrooge" but Merry Christmas to you anyway.

Comment

EPW_Scrooge (McDuck)

“I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
              - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

This show was a "definitely worthy of listening to -- at least twice" (which is what I've done, so far)!

The poem "You Come to Play" by 'CivFan91'... in song form ... I'm sorry to say the poem deserved much better than as was sung.

With inspiration and some content from a related thread, presenting "The Twelve Days of Civmas" ... much better than the thread's content.

The Humbug Carol was nicely done!

So ... Have a merry Humbug, or however you enjoy the season.

Comment

Originally posted by Jaybe
                  This show was a "definitely worthy of listening to -- at least twice" (which is what I've done, so far)!

I myself have listened to it several more times than I usually do PolyCast productions. (That's saying something as that doesn't take into account the times I listened to the individual pieces during editing!)

The poem "You Come to Play" by 'CivFan91'... in song form ... I'm sorry to say the poem deserved much better than as was sung.

Before Tony sang it, he read it, and I knew I was going to go with one version or the other as released.

With inspiration and some content from a related thread, presenting "The Twelve Days of Civmas" ... much better than the thread's content.
                  Thank you kindly.

I originally compiled (and in part wrote) that list for Episode 36 as a 'follow-up' from last Christmas -- even read it for the recording of that episode -- but cut it in editing, deciding it would be more appropriate to include in this year's Christmas special.

The Humbug Carol was nicely done!

That took the most time individually of any segment in this special to complete in post-production, but I wouldn't have been satisfied with the outcome without the music, ambient sounds and sound effects I incorporated.

So ... Have a merry Humbug, or however you enjoy the season.
                  And to you.

Comment

Dan - fantastic job of editing. Very impressive little polycast. I will surely be listening to this again. Probably tomorrow on the plane home.
                    Quote: "All Happiness is the release of internal pressure"
                    Visit my Civ IV web site for information on mods that I am involved with or use and other Civ IV tools
                    woo hoo! My wife publishes her first book. Buy it now in paperback format at lulu and help me retire so I can write more BUG mod code.

Comment

... but I wouldn't have been satisfied with the outcome without the music, ambient sounds and sound effects I incorporated.

Your judgement demonstrates your wisdom, Dan. Your post-production efforts were well done, though a couple more seconds of the Ghostbusters theme wouldn't have been amiss.

Comment

Originally posted by ruff_hi
                        Dan - fantastic job of editing. Very impressive little polycast.
                        Thank you, Tim.

I'd been looking forward to someone who had been apart of the recording of this to comment on the final product as well as those who weren't.

I will surely be listening to this again. Probably tomorrow on the plane home.

I hope it's just as if not more enjoyable the second time around. (I extend this sentiment to one and all who have done/do the same.)

Originally posted by Jaybe
                        Your judgement demonstrates your wisdom, Dan. Your post-production efforts were well done,

though a couple more seconds of the Ghostbusters theme wouldn't have been amiss.

Always leaving one wanting for more.

Comment

Im glad everyone liked the humbug play,

Dan did a fantastic job, and i told him that privately
                          and i will tell him publically as well

"well done dan, on the special effects of my humbug play"

and i want to thank the rest of the poly&mod cast team
                          for their roles they played , they did a great job.

and also to everyone who downloads the humbug xmas show
                          thankyou for listening

cheers

bt_oz

Comment

I just wanted to troll DanQ.
                            "

Comment

Originally posted by bt_oz
                              Dan did a fantastic job, and i told him that privately
                              and i will tell him publically as well

"well done dan, on the special effects of my humbug play"
                              Thanks, John.

... to everyone who downloads the humbug xmas show
                              thankyou for listening

Originally posted by EPW
                              I just wanted to troll DanQ.
                              On/for Christmas? Doesn't that translate into a stocking full of coal automatically? (At least you'll be able to build railroads. )

Comment

Working...
                              X