Hey Asher!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hey Asher!

I bought Europa Universalis III Complete recently at Best Buy.

I installed the game but then when I go to launch/play it, a pop-up error message comes up saying: Error, unable to locate a component; could not find d3dx9_35.dll.

I've tried reinsalling it, and I've also tried uninstalling it completely and then installing it again. I did this multiple times, to no avail.

I am going to try to contact Paradox Interactive as soon as I can. But if you know anything about these type of installation errors, then anything you can tell me would be appreciated.

Thank you.
    A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Oh wait. I'm staying at a friend's house for the holidays and here, I do not have wireless Internet connection with my laptop; I use my friend's computer for Internet.

Do I need Internet connection when installing EU III on my own computer for any reason?? Is that what the error message is related to?

Comment

EU3 is a crap game and I know nothing about it.
      "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
      Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Get a newer DirectX Version.
        Might look on your EU CD first, they usually put one on it.

Comment

It's a botched install, nothing to do with systemwide DirectX
          "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

Isn't that the same error people were getting with Civ4 when they had an older version of DirectX?

I'd update DirectX just in case to make sure.

Comment

Originally posted by Dale
              Isn't that the same error people were getting with Civ4 when they had an older version of DirectX?

That should fix it

Now, about the Technical Assitance request, we are gonna need a Major Credit Card or we can charge to your home phone.

/me starts adding up the total cost.....

ASHERS'S time, well, we will use discretion when discounting your invoice but will be a $ 500.00 minimum plus time spent answer your initial request, next time ask, dont single out him, as he is in high demand

DALE's is also in high demand, and like a second surgeon brought in to assist, he is going to need $ 400.00 plus same discretionary charges.

/me thinking he knows his @r$e from a hole in the IT Tunnel...PRICELESS

Hope we can help you in future, and by the way, any referrals, such as webites needing help, we offer 10% off your next help line/hot line call
              Hi, I'm RAH and I'm a Benaholic.-rah

Comment

I don't think "EU3 is a crap game and I know nothing about it" is worth $500.

Comment

Originally posted by DrSpike
                  I don't think "EU3 is a crap game and I know nothing about it" is worth $500.
                  Pay up DrSpike and we will show you how it IS worth the minimal monetary outlay

/me wishes all to know that in no way does Poly Plus, Mingapulco's Money Market Pyramid Schemes or Solver's Slush Fund endorse, written or explicitly otherwise derived through convoluted imaginary contractual obligations, et...al any such technical services rendered.

/me also wishes Apolyton, Inc. to herein and furthermore not be associated with in any,way,shape or form with the myriad of successes ASHER has contributed to for this site but at this moment, let this pubic notice be set forth, ye who are weary and overcome with emotional dillusion from previous unfullfilled technical errors resolution, that we shall rise up, rise up and Carpe' Diem, Semper Gumby and all other Factotum First's and accomplishment a Win-Win situation to turn a new leaf

Hi, I'm RAH and I'm a Benaholic.-rah

Comment

Originally posted by Dale

So I should pray that Asher is wrong and update my DirectX? Because the error message says it could not find a component of the software installed; how is that related to my computer's DirectX?

Do I go to Microsoft Windows official website to update it?

Comment

Yes it is looking for a direct x 9 component. either you have an older version of DX or the file is hosed, either way an install to the latest version will do the trick.

make sure you pay attention to the operating system and head over to MS.
                      We're sorry, the voices in my head are not available at this time. Please try back again soon.

Comment

There are many versions of DirectX. The consumers only get the latest version of DirectX 9 when a game needs it. That's what the _35 means, it's version 35. EU3 built against v35, so its installer is tasked with installing that specific v35 component. If it's not there, the installation is borked.

Wasting time and downloading a massive DirectX update to v35 specifically (not necessarily the latest) may also fix it, but it's stupid to do so.

Paradox has **** developers and this shows it. It's their problem. But their tech support, not us.

Comment

Originally posted by MrFun

So I should pray that Asher is wrong and update my DirectX? Because the error message says it could not find a component of the software installed; how is that related to my computer's DirectX?

Do I go to Microsoft Windows official website to update it?
                          The file missing: d3dx9_35.dll refers specifically to a DirectX 9 file. (Filename indicates the module Direct3DX version 9.35)

Here's the update site: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en

Comment

Thanks Dale. But I will have to wait until I'm back home in Maryland, as I do not have Internet connection on my own laptop at my friend's house here.

And Asher, I do not want to forget about the game and just throw it away without trying the DirectX update after paying $30 for EU III.

Comment

As Dale already has said, you need the newest version of DirectX. But why did you ask Asher? You should ask someone who know the game you know.
                              Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10
                              I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalms 139.14a
                              Also active on WePlayCiv.

Comment

Working...
                              X