How to Write Mod Packs for Civ 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to Write Mod Packs for Civ 2

I am looking for a basic (beginners) guide on how to write mod packs for Civ 2. I can't seem to find any guide or directions on the web on how to write a mod. I would like to add the ability to dig canals that ships can traverse, add dredging so a city one block away from the sea or a river can have a harbor and so a river can be dredged to allow ships to go up it. I'd also like to be able to build long bridges from one shoreline to another for railroads and vehicle traffic. I'll probably think of other things I'll want to add.

You will probably get a better reply to this question in the Scenario league forum.

AFAIK, there is no easy way to do the things you want to do. It is relatively easy to change the tech tree; introduce new units, civs, etc. But the sort of changes you describe probably need access to the game engine.

RJM
    Fill me with the old familiar juice

Comment

Most of the things you have described can be accomplished through exploits in the game, not mods per say. I can't remember if some of these exploits were removed for MGE or not.

Canals can be built by terraforming a tile using an engineer unit. It should be possible to allow the terraforming of land to ocean by editing the terrain change parameters in the rules.txt file.

The ability to allow an inland city to build a harbor improvement can't be done in game. Once a city is landlocked it stays that way. You can however download the civcity utility and change a specific city to allow a harbor improvement, but this is a file edit, not an in game choice.

Bridges can be built using a ship bridge. You can build roads/rr on the ocean, but I don't believe the movement modifier will still work on water.

As RJM said, ask the Scenario League the question and you will get answers.

Comment

Working...
      X