PolyCast Episode 59: "Not Just a Lame Clip Show"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PolyCast Episode 59: "Not Just a Lame Clip Show"

Cherry picking from a year's worth of archived segments comes the first composite episode of PolyCast, an official podcast of Apolyton Civilization Site (ACS). Entitled "Not Just a Lame Clip Show", it is now netcasting. Regular co-hosts Daniel "DanQ" Quick, Makahlua, Imran Siddiqui and Annalee "Cartimandua" Barney are joined by ten guest co-hosts overall across eleven topics.

PolyCast (PC) is a bi-weekly audio production in an ongoing effort to give the Civ community an interactive voice on game strategy, with sibling show ModCast focusing on Civ modding. A nominee in the "Best Produced" and "Gaming" categories of the 2008 Podcast Awards, PC's second annual Christmas special is to be released on Christmas Eve.

To date, ACS is the only known community on the Web to produce its own Civ podcasts.
    PolyCast Co-Host, Owner and Producer: entertaining | informing civ
    >> PolyCast (Civ strategy), ModCast (Civ modding), TurnCast (Civ multiplay); One More Turn Dramedy

Summary of Topics

- 02m41s | Miscellaneous
    On what is generally different in playing Civilization IV against other humans versus the Artificial Intelligence (AI).
    - 04m58s | Research Lab
    Adjusting Civ cities' tax rate city-by-city.
    - 06m25s | Forum Talk
    Workers won't stop building forts in Civ IV.
    - 09m51s | Senate
    The timing of promotions not always being immediate, and on Guided Missiles being underpowered.
    - 18m47s | Forum Talk
    How much do you write down on your Civ games, lack of diverse gameplay in Civ IV: Colonization, on Civ IV: Beyond the Sword Quests in general, and is it ever worth a rush expansion to complete a Quest.
    - 37m00s | Senate
    On the combination of the Woodsman III and Medic promotions.
    - 41m47s | Miscellaneous
    What is memorable from 2008 in the Civilization world.

- Intro/Outro | Miscellaneous
    The premise of this composite episode, and closing on a tune or two.
    >> PolyCast (Civ strategy), ModCast (Civ modding), TurnCast (Civ multiplay); One More Turn Dramedy

Comment

Last edited by ZEE; December 30, 2010, 01:52.
      Order of the Fly
      Those that cannot curse, cannot heal.

Comment

Originally posted by AAHZ
        Thanks for the shine, Dan.
        You're welcome, Ian.

Might link this to a few of my friends

Comment

With the mods coming out for Col now (I particularly refer to my own Age of Discovery) I now disagree with the comments about lack of gameplay diversity. Yes, the vanilla game lacks diversity, but that's because it's a specific goal, not open-ended like Civ is. The mods are now fixing bugs, fixing gameplay, adding more fun to gameplay, as well re-balancing concepts and adding new victory types.

I fully believe that adding "Civilization" to the game's name completely misguided many of the game's purchasers, and did not reflect the true nature of the game.

Comment

Originally posted by Dale
            With the mods coming out for Col now (I particularly refer to my own Age of Discovery) I now disagree with the comments about lack of gameplay diversity.
            Yes, but we recorded this clip right after Col came out, long before any mods

It is good that there are such talented people working to make these games more fun for the fans.
            In the beginning the Universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move. - Douglas Adams

Comment

Originally posted by Cartimandua
              Yes, but we recorded this clip right after Col came out...
              You beat me to noting that.

To be even more specific, the record date of that segment was October 11th -- less a month after Civ4Col was released. Admittedly there were already some mods for the game available then, such as your "Age of Discovery", but not as many as now and that also crosses into or sibling show's territory.

It is good that there are such talented people working to make these games more fun for the fans.

ModCast (said sibling, for those who were not aware) has covered some Civ4Col works to date and I'm certain they will continue to do so. Perhaps suggest the "AoD" mod for them to cover specifically.

That said, I've already made a note to myself to follow-up on our segment in question accordingly during PolyCast's Season 3 premiere.

Comment

Totally granted that the segment was early on. Just making a note for readers now who heard that segment and wouldn't get Col because of it, just pointing out there's now variety.

Comment

Originally posted by Dale
                  Totally granted that the segment was early on. Just making a note for readers now who heard that segment and wouldn't get Col because of it, just pointing out there's now variety.

(Whoops, thought I'd responded to this before now.)

Comment

Working...
                  X