"Diplomacy I" Planning Thread...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Diplomacy I" Planning Thread...

Alright, I have decided to begin the Planning/Organization thread for a new diplogame using my mod. Since it was named "Diplomacy" we will simply call the game Diplomacy I.

If you are unfamiliar with the mod (although I doubt anyone visiting this thread will be) it is a simple mod that does not depart from the normal game of Civilization IV for BtS. There are improved graphics, which includes flavored units for each civ, which gives it a more unique look and will make screenshots more culturally relevant to the civilization you choose. I have also added promotions to spies which should add more tension to international affairs as well as provide an opportunity for smaller civilizations to put even bigger dents in the larger ones. There are inquisitors as well to make religious conflicts more interesting, as well as seven new religions so you have a broader base to work with culturally (for storyline purposes, there will still only be seven religions in the game and they work just like the vanilla religions.) In addition there are two new civilizations (Iroquois and Israel) as well as thirty new leaders to choose from, so there are new trait combinations for different civilizations now.

Since this mod has yet to be tested in MP format the FIRST thing we are going to have to do is test the game and make sure it works in a pitboss situation. In order to do that I would need a few (maybe three or so) volunteers to play in a quick test game (not to the finish and only a limited amount of turns) to make sure it works.

If you would like to volunteer for the normal game but not the test game that is okay too. To download the mod CLICK HERE. We will also discuss other issues surrounding the game but here is what I personally think would be best.

- NON anonymous play to make it easier to communicate via IM etc.

- Limited civs, probably around 8 to 10 civilizations only.

- Map size Large, land masses should be lowered in size to create larger oceans for more difficult exploration. The reason I think the land sizes should be smaller is to create more conflict earlier (so a builder game doesn't result)

All of this is debatable, and I an certainly open to a debate surrounding the game. Since the amount of civs is going to be limited I hope and expect to have dedicated players who are willing to post on a consistent (not necessarily often) basis.
    "Our cause is in the hands of fate. We can not guarantee success. But we can do something better; we can deserve it." -John Adams

One Love.

Count me in for the game.

My only suggestion would be to add the dumb looking robot with a spaghetti strainer on its head from SigmaStorm as a late game unit.

Comment

I'm in for the main game at least. Can't promise to be available for the quick test game though, since my exams are aproaching, and I leave for vacation during the hollidays.

Would the game use the module packs you have made ?

I would suggest :

- NON anonymous play, I agree.
      - the perfect world map script (large, break pangeas, old world start)
      - 8 civs
      - unrestricted leaders (so that you can play with whatever traits you want to and whatever civ you want to) it doesn't matter anyway what leader is displayed IG.
      - either a voucher tech trade system (10 vouchers) or no tech trade at all.
      - barbs on, but not raging
      - defining penalties for breaking rules before the game starts.
      - separate diplomacy and story thread (?)

Comment

I would love a large Earth map.

We've NEVER played a Civ 4 diplo on an Earth map yet we played several Civ 2 diplos on Earth maps.

I prefer anon play. It adds a bit of mystery and fun.

Epic?

Pitboss?

Agree with Vamp and Capo on the rest.
        "Old age and skill will overcome youth and treachery. "
        *deity of THE DEITIANS*

Comment

Two games is enough for me. But since I haven't really been interested in BTP for months now, maybe I could ditch that one and join this. Provided that it is an earth map though. I agree with Deity, we've never played an earth map on Civ4 but had lots of great games on it with Civ2.

Either way, I volunteer to make the map.

I agree on not having too many players. 7-8 is perfect. I could go either way on anon. I think it does add something to the game, but it is a pain in the ass that I don't like to deal with. Unrestricted leaders is unbalanced, so no, I wouldn't support that. It kinda defeats the purpose of Capo's mod too.
          Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

I am in as well, but have no time for a test game sorry!

Comment

I'm sorry, but if people start to ditch game A for game B, then we're doing things wrong.

IN the end I think that we should've never done the 2 continents start. It creates two games. Next time with many players (which I still like) just trow them all on the same continent.

I'm not going to be in this game. 1 game at the time is enough for me. I want to invest in stories which is already hard enough with 1 game.

Good luck.
              Please don't steal players from the other game(s).
              Formerly known as "CyberShy"
              Carpe Diem tamen Memento Mori

Comment

I don't understand how someone who supports starting up a game again is going to come in here and accuse me of stealing players.

Yeah I don't know if we necessarily need to have unrestricted leaders, I put a bunch of extra leaders in my mod and I'm sure (in fact I know) that you (vamp) like at least two of the leaders/civs already. So why not pick one of those?

The only reason I wouldn't like an Earth map right now is because whenever we play on an Earth map people want it to be "terra rules," which I don't like and peopel will pick civs based on their starting locations. We could always use an Earth simulator script or something, but we can debate the Earth map for a while anyway because I don't intend on starting this game until after the holidays are over. So we have time for discussion on the map aspect. Anyway as far as testers go we have;

-Me
                -MMC?
                -Danny PO?

I am not even sure if the bottom two have agreed to the test game yet.
                "Our cause is in the hands of fate. We can not guarantee success. But we can do something better; we can deserve it." -John Adams

One Love.

Comment

count me in just have to download newer files.

Comment

Okay, well MMC has agreed to host (the test game at least) so I am going to see how soon I can set that up. If you still want to volunteer we are probably going to play on quick speed with 12 hour turns (no posting and no worries about missing turns as it is a test game). So if anyone else wants to get in on it for something to do during the holidays you should volunteer soon because I am trying to get the testing phase started as soon as possible in case there are problems. And again, please donwload the latest version; I have supplied a link and everything.

But confirmed for the test game is myself, MMC and Danny PO. If that is going to be it should we have a couple of AI civs?

One Love.

Comment

While there was never an official test game (because we couldn't get anyone to host a pitboss game right now) there were multiple MP games played and they seemed to go fine and without issues. So we look like we're good to go. The game probably won't start for a couple of months (or so). But in the meantime we need to sign up. So basically post here if you want in on the game. Right now here is a list of volunteers:

-The Capo
                      -Vamp
                      -Pinchak
                      -Deity (wants to play on Earth map)
                      -Toni
                      -Danny P.O.
                      -MMC?

So far we've got a good list going, quality-wise. Ideally I'd like between 1 and 3 more players and then a couple of people who will sign-up to be substitutes (in case they can't committ now, but may be able to take over for someone in the future) so that we have replacement players come hell or high water.

I'd like Cybershy to play in this one, and LzPrst (that's right, I'm naming names) if they would be so kind...

And in case you are worried CS, as I've said before we are waiting for HOTWXII to end so it gives us plenty of time to discuss any possible rules, settings, map, or whatever else comes up between now and then. And of course I am not advocating people leave other games for this one, however I can not control people's actions.

One Love.

Comment

HERACLITUS, HERACLITUS, HERACLITUS, HERACLITUS!

One Love.

Comment

I maybe in this game, depends on how things are in 'real life' by then.
                          I'll leave the rule-discussions up to you guys. I'll just accept anything, if I'm involved.
                          Formerly known as "CyberShy"
                          Carpe Diem tamen Memento Mori

Comment

I would like to play in this one.
                            Diplogamer formerly known as LzPrst

Comment

Earth or not is irrelevant to me.

I think we can suspend the anon.play for this game.

Tech vouchers seems to be a good system.

Since it's pitboss I think Normal game speed might be good. IMO BtP is going too slowly, and with fewer players there will be less action.

and I agree 100%, HERACLITUS, GET YOUR BUTT BACK IN DIPLOGAMES
                              (girl and work permitting ofc)
                              Diplogamer formerly known as LzPrst

Comment

Working...
                              X