X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Barrack Obama as Barrack Bush Obama

Obama Aides Suggest Rollback of Bush Tax Cuts Could Be Delayed

Cam Simpson reports from Washington.

Aides to President-elect Barack Obama suggested on Sunday that he wouldn’t immediately implement a pledged rollback of tax cuts for the top tier of American income earners, because of the worsening economic outlook.

A senior adviser to Obama confirmed that New York Federal Reserve President Timothy Geithner would be the administration’s nominee for Treasury secretary, and added that the Obama team was gratified by the late rally on Wall Street on Friday after news of the pick leaked out.

During an appearance on NBC’s “Meet the Press,” Obama economic adviser William Daley suggested that the incoming administration would reconsider whether to quickly increase taxes for Americans earning more than $250,000 per year.

WASHINGTON -- President-elect Barack Obama is unlikely to radically overhaul controversial Bush administration intelligence policies, advisers say, an approach that is almost certain to create tension within the Democratic Party.

Civil-liberties groups were among those outraged that the White House sanctioned the use of harsh intelligence techniques -- which some consider torture -- by the Central Intelligence Agency, and expanded domestic spy powers. These groups are demanding quick action to reverse these policies.
    As a presidential candidate, Senator Barack Obama sketched the broad outlines of a plan to close the detention center at Guantánamo Bay, Cuba: try detainees in American courts and reject the Bush administration’s military commission system.

Now, as Mr. Obama moves closer to assuming responsibility for Guantánamo, his pledge to close the detention center is bringing to the fore thorny questions under consideration by his advisers. They include where Guantánamo’s detainees could be held in this country, how many might be sent home and a matter that people with ties to the Obama transition team say is worrying them most: What if some detainees are acquitted or cannot be prosecuted at all?
    hhaa... politics!
    bleh

This is a change of the change that we can all support. You see, all change is good, so let's change it.
    I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

During the campaign, as the economy began to worsen, Obama said that he might not roll back Bush tax cuts in 2009 but rather let them expire as scheduled in 2010. So, no change in position there.

The other story just says there's problems in closing Gitmo. It does not indicate any change in policy.

So your point is...?

Comment

Originally posted by Zkribbler
        During the campaign, as the economy began to worsen, Obama said that he might not roll back Bush tax cuts in 2009 but rather let them expire as scheduled in 2010. So, no change in position there.

The other story just says there's problems in closing Gitmo. It does not indicate any change in policy.

So your point is...?
        1) You're maybe right; never heard him said that. But I remember having him said; that he will roll back.

2) Well, will see what he will do.
        What we see is most surely a guy who promised many things, and by structural reason, can't do many things that he will promised.

Here the link for the third article, that I forgot to put:
        Barack Obama’s pledge to close the detention center at Guantánamo is bringing to the fore thorny questions.
        bleh

Comment

When facts change, a leader must show flexibility and change his mind.

A tax increase in 2009 would be as stupid as the tax increase in 1931.

I'm glad that Obama shows pragmatism and adjusts to the new, harsh reality.

Comment

It would be pretty silly roll back a multibillion tax cut at the same time you're working for a multibillion stimulus.
            DISCLAIMER: the author of the above written texts does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for any offence and insult; disrespect, arrogance and related forms of demeaning behaviour; discrimination based on race, gender, age, income class, body mass, living area, political voting-record, football fan-ship and musical preference; insensitivity towards material, emotional or spiritual distress; and attempted emotional or financial black-mailing, skirt-chasing or death-threats perceived by the reader of the said written texts.

Comment

"What if some detainees are acquitted or cannot be prosecuted at all?"

What have countries done since forever, you put them in a POW camp governed by the Geneva Convention. Even the Nazis figured that one out.

And, obviously people who are acquitted are innocent, they should be free to go.

And according to World Nut Daily, it is 'V-I Day' or something so the wars over.
              "Wait a minute..this isn''t FAUX dive, it's just a DIVE!"
              "...Mangy dog staggering about, looking vainly for a place to die."
              "sauna stories? There are no 'sauna stories'.. I mean.. sauna is sauna. You do by the laws of sauna." -P.

Comment

Promising things that cannot be delivered is a time-honored political tradition.
                Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
                RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

And voting for the person because of those promises when there's no chance in hell that they will is also time-honored.
                  It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                  RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

I'm fine with having them expire as scheduled. I do not think they should be extended. I very much doubt the ability of tax cuts for millionaires to serve as the stimulus the economy needs.
                    "The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists."
                    -Joan Robinson

Comment

Originally posted by Zkribbler

So your point is...?
                      Then why are most of the close advisors he appointed a few days ago all Clintonites, with an actual Clinton as secretary of state, larded with some greasy Republicans who will definately not be wanting to overhaul most Bush policies?

FAIL

But we expected this, so no problemo. We still like Obama better than any Republican candidate
                      "An archaeologist is the best husband a women can have; the older she gets, the more interested he is in her." - Agatha Christie
                      "Non mortem timemus, sed cogitationem mortis." - Seneca

Comment

What was wrong with Bill Clinton, again?

Comment

Then why are most of the close advisors he appointed a few days ago all Clintonites,
                          Because:
                          (a) Someone having a little experience is nice
                          (b) If your a Dem and you have experience in Washington, the chances are, you got it working in the Clinton administration.

Comment

I'd like to hear from a news source not owned by Ruppert Murdoch.
                            Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Clinton's third term
                              “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                              - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Working...
                              X