first standard game-questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• first standard game-questions

So for various reasons I have never actually finished a standard game of civ IV. Started one today as the english elizibeth terra map huge size epic speed (huge size but withing the first few turns I all ready meet the russians, must be a huge number of civs)

Anyway was considering posting shots of my game in progress to get advice and ask questions to improve my own playing. I don't feel anything like I play well now. Is this a problem with anyone here? How do I go about posting screenshots in the forum never figured out how to do it well. Thanks!
    A university faculty is 500 egoists with a common parking problem

There are indeed normally a "Huge" amount of civs when you choose a Huge map.

Sure go ahead.

As to how to do it: three part process:

1. Print Screen to take it; which will be placed in my games - beyond the sword - screen shots folder.

2. Edit the picture to get the width down to the allowed limits. I normally use paint and scale it 0.75 X & 0.75 Y.

3. Post it by hiting "Post Reply" and clicking upload files. One file per post.
    1st C3DG Term 7 Science Advisor 1st C3DG Term 8 Domestic Minister
    Templar Science Minister
    AI: I sure wish Jon would hurry up and complete his turn, he's been at it for over 1,200,000 milliseconds now.

Comment

ok will do thanks!

Considered trying to play some of the previous aka the first aptoyln university games but wasn't sure given the amount of time passed if that would be worthwhile or not...would have to be careful not to read the DAR's until I finished that era

Comment

ok so here we go first few parts

Since I can only do one file per post going to be a lot of posts here in the begining. May go to using imageshack and just posting links in the future but wanted to get these up tonight.

Anyway example of how the starting area looked. Got lucky with both cow and wheet resources. This pretty much determined the early tech route. To be hunting, farming and then animal husbandry. I started building a worker right away as well which turned out not to be to intelligent...
        Attached Files

Comment

researched hunting first should have researched farming first as the worker I built now has nothing to do....lost one of the first warriors to barbarians so right now things are not looking to bright for the english...due both to bad luck and stupid decisions by the leader...
          Attached Files

Comment

I considered restarting at this point but decided to go with the iron man option and see if I could make up for it. Beelined for agriculture as soon as I realized that my worker now would have nothing to do. Lost out on budhism but hinduism still hasn't been discovered may try to go back for it but doubt it honestly as depending on where I put my second city may want to make a move for sailing. Explored in a circular pattern working to build a warrior to replace the one lost. Here you can see my lonely worker going um yeah what am I supposed to be doing..
            Attached Files

Comment

The next two will show the inside of the city, growing reasonably for epic speed but this will quickly become my growth and then my great person city once it is built up.
              Attached Files

Comment

city a little later...gah thirty turns to animal husbandry...one question random events are on now do people still leave the science at 100% or do you go a little lower to have money in case needed for random events? Both in Civ and in Alpha Centauri I usually play a tech heavy strategy so I haven't in the past.
                Attached Files

Comment

ok last one meet the Russians here. They seem to be led by one of the less militaristic leaders (peter) so may not try to destory them right away. Learned so far..if you are going to go with a worker first strategy MAKE SURE the firs tech you research gives him something to do..the time wasted with him just sitting around is way to big a problem especially this early. As well on epic it is almost always nessecary to have two workers doing everything as otherwise it is just to slow. May build a second settler just to lay claim to land before another worker not completly sure, depend on exactly how long it is until the first farm, after the farm until I get animal husbandry and roads will be in the wait for tech again, so probably will do that. Thinking about putting the second city on the coast and getting sailing early. Thoughts? Can't see a way to get both the cows and the deer and have it on the coast so may just try for one deer possibly as capitol will have growth for a good bit taken care off. This would put me closer to taking land from the russians based on the direction they came from as well. Thoughts?
                  Attached Files

Comment

Which English leader do you have? (There are 3 in BTS) They have somewhat different strengths to play to.

What size map are you playing? Perhaps more importantly how many civs are there in the game? (You can look at the Victory screen to see how many AI civs there are)

Anyway, if for some weird reason Hinduism isn't discovered yet by the time you finish A.D. then Judism would be worth going after (you probably won't actually get Hinduism but Monotheism provides the first good religous civic.) But if as is more likely someone already gets Hinduism by the time you have A.D. your better off going after Code of Laws (and Confucisim) instead. But you'll want basic worker techs before CoL.
                    Templar Science Minister
                    AI: I sure wish Jon would hurry up and complete his turn, he's been at it for over 1,200,000 milliseconds now.

Comment

Ah I am playing Elizibeth. The extra money is good for the tech whore strategy I usually play. Huge earth like world epic speed. Will have to look at the victory screen to see number of AI civs, all most feel like that is cheating but I need all the help I can get heh.

Comment

Yes, the financial traight is in general great along maps with lots of rivers. Cottage over those flood plains after connecting those resources. (That would apply if you were playing Victoria as well)

Now your other strength that's unique to Liz is the Phio. To play to that see if there's any Marble or Stone nearby to build a few wonders to generate a few GP points. In any case though those flood plains cottages will generate a nice food suplus to use specalists when you combine with Temples and/or Libraries as your primary GP source. Universities will also be cheaper for you than Observatories. If you can find Stone nearby, the Pyraimds for early Republic + Caste System would be great.

(By Contrast Victoria's other strength is more suited for fewer turns spent building settlers & generating great generals)

Chuchill though is very different from either Liz or Victoria and would be my least favorite English leader.
                        Templar Science Minister

Comment

Are cottages on flood plains generally cosidered better than farms? I know I have more than enough food here but especially if I am going to only have 1 or 2 people working fields and the rest as great people would not having farms work out better. I suppose I could cottage some and then farm but generally I hate changing from one type of worker to another.

Comment

For a financial civ, flood plains cottages are normally better; 3 food + 3 commerce to start.

In general best practices is avoid replacing villages / towns with anything else.

On London, my patern would be:

1. Connect those two resources with the building you need for them.
                            2. Cottage the flood plains
                            3. Farm the flat plains along the river; (choping forest)
                            4. Mine the grasland hills tiles (choping forest; river first)
                            5. Farm the flat plains along the fresh water lake (choping forest)
                            Templar Science Minister

Comment

Hmm ok yea replacing a cottage with anything else would be bad understand that. Should I make an attempt for a religon or should I go for the techs needed to chop forests and add other worker stuff next?

Probably going to make a second settler after a scout and a warrior (exploration protection) before I make another worker but not sold on that yet.

Oh and there are ten other civilizations besides me...that should make things interesting. Found some marble, now going to have to decide if attaching the marble or getting a city on the coast (to build ships) is more important to me.
                              Last edited by dacole; November 27, 2008, 13:41.

Comment

Working...
                              X