No announcement yet.

first standard game-questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It depends upon how fast you can use marble and/or the sea on the settler placement.

It depends upon the likehood of success of success of founding religions. You'll definately want A.D. first and if your founding the marble city next you'll want Masonary soon as well.
    1st C3DG Term 7 Science Advisor 1st C3DG Term 8 Domestic Minister
    Templar Science Minister
    AI: I sure wish Jon would hurry up and complete his turn, he's been at it for over 1,200,000 milliseconds now.

Comment

found some marble, screen shot tomorrow. The settletr will be coming next getting the marble and the wonders that come with it is the next critical step.
      A university faculty is 500 egoists with a common parking problem

Comment

Here is where the marble is located not in a great place to put a city except for the marble.

Going to explore around that area a little bit more then my next settler will go there. 48 turns to build a settler though gah marathon is so much fun heh.

Now the tech gets even more interesting. To use the marble I need masonry then to really make use of it for wonders I need mysticism and polytheism. So do I go for roads to connect the resources first or go immeaditly to mysticism and polytheism. Buddhism is the only religion that has been founded so far, however I have a lot of other civilizations around so it is likely I have at least one more that starts with mysticism. (peter the only one I have found did not found buddhism).

Really right now connecting the resources doesn't do much for me since I can work them even if they are connected the extra health isn't all that important at this stage so I am thinking about leaving roads and moving on masonry, mysticism, and polytheism. Even if I don't get the religon first it will allow me to start building the +50 great person wonder which would be ever so nice with Lizze. I need to pick up pottery pretty soon so I can start putting out cottages as well hmm probably after polytheism though unless someone else gets the religon first.

A cultural victory is most likely not going to be what I am going for otherwise I would go for more of the religions. So if someone gets polytheism first I will probably go back to pick up cottages and then get polytheism. I expect I have lost the race to stonehenge given lack of stone and leader choice.
        Attached Files

Comment

Probably going to put the city one space north east of the marble to start working it soon and to not overlap the capitol still thinking about that though.

As well tech picture added just to see where things stand currently.
          Attached Files

Comment

Personally, I'd found Marble city on the Tundra just SW of it. This will turn an almost useless tile into a good one, take in the Marble, and work a lot of grassland river tiles. That would be my first city to found.

The next city I'd found would be the whale / cow city on the one and only tile that would take them both in. (My 3rd city to build a settler for would be generally south along one of those two rivers that flows thru your capital.)

And it's still before 3000 BC; kind of early to rule out a victory mode. And on many maps, if you get Sushi's you can have your space ship building interupted by you winning a cultural victory.

I'd probably reserach Masonry as soon as AD completes.
            Templar Science Minister
            AI: I sure wish Jon would hurry up and complete his turn, he's been at it for over 1,200,000 milliseconds now.

Comment

Isn't it nessecary to get most of the religons to end up with a cultural victory though? So you can build cathedreals? Maybe I have been doing things wrong but I never have a lot of culture. I hate overlapping my fat crosses but I suppose it is nessecary here and the idea that I am ever going to be working all twenty of the places I can work in a city is pretty untrue.

I am going to have to look again but I can't find a place that would take in both the whale and the cows. I agree on going for masonry early especially since I don't have stone and stonehenge is probably out.

Out of curiosity why are you putting the thrid city to the south? I don't usually plan cities until I have explored a good bit. Is it best to try and spread them out evenly around the capitol (actually that makes sense for maintenance purposes).

Comment

In BTS, you can get a cultural victory from Sushi (and lots of duplicate sea food resrouces) almost by itself.

You don't really need lots of Catherdrials. One or two will suffice; and even if you don't found any religions some religions will get spread to your lands. It's your revenue flow that suffers if you don't have any holy shrines.

The Tundra squre that is S-S of the Whale is also N-NW of the Cow and so will work both as soon as culture expands.

Your in what I call an open enviorment : No easy choke points. In such an enviorment your generally better off building cities close to home first. The first two cities are first ring North and North East and clearly a Southern direction is better than West or East from the River; (a cottage for you produces 3 gold a turn immedately). It's also clear that NW the river is turning into Tundra; not so good.

Now if I see resources I may leap frog to get them and infill later, but these maps are basically screaming at me first found a river city that will also take in the Marble, then found a costal city that takes in both the Whale & Cow and then head south young man.
                Templar Science Minister

Comment

hmm

Haven't had time to look at this for awhile, may end up not having time to finish this one either - sigh.

To me the square you are talking about right next to the coast would be N-NW-N of the cow. I think there are two squares on the sea past the whale, don't have time to open up the game right now or I would look. Ah so expand in a ring in case of attack, makes sense easier to reinforce. I still don't like overlapping tiles but if you are dead by the time the city expands enough to fill them then it wouldn't help and unless it is a production city I expect you won't have every tile worked even then.

By cottage you mean cottage next to a river right? Makes sense to take advantage of the financial aspect.

Comment

The photo doesn't have grid lines on; I'm reading one less tile North South than you are between the Cow & Whale so you'll have to go inside the game to see.

Yes, cottages along river for financial civs produce 3 gold to start with.
                    Non river cottages start with just 1 gold like everyone else (but will jump at hamlet.)
                    Templar Science Minister

Comment

Working...
                    X