Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Republican Knives come out for Palin...lots of dirt

Knives come out for Sarah Palin

WASHINGTON — Sarah Palin wasn't aware that Africa was a continent and she and her brood behaved like a band of “Wasilla hillbillies looting Neiman Marcus from coast to coast,” aides to Republican John McCain are telling prominent news organizations.

Less than 24 hours after McCain lost the presidential election to Democrat Barack Obama, those close to him apparently wasted no time burning up the phone lines to dish the dirt on Ms. Palin, the Alaska governor who portrayed herself as a sensible hockey Mom when she was chosen the Arizona senator's running mate in late August.

If the anonymous McCain insiders are to be believed, Ms. Palin was unaware that Africa was a continent, arguing that South Africa was simply a region of the larger country of Africa.

She also didn't know the three countries — Canada, the U.S. and Mexico — that are in the North American Free Trade Agreement.

A call last week by a Quebec radio prankster pretending to be French President Nicolas Sarkozy reportedly became a fiery source of tension between the already feuding McCain and Palin camps. An aide to the Alaska governor, Steve Biegun, OK'd the call without discussing it with McCain's people or the U.S. State Department.

The Los Angeles Times reported that an outraged Steve Schmidt, Mr. McCain's top strategist, organized a conference call after the prank — which revealed Ms. Palin to be ill-informed and naive — made international headlines and brought further ridicule to the campaign.

He demanded to know who had arranged the Sarkozy call and questioned why anyone would have agreed to such an unusual request and then failed to clear it with top staff.

Mr. Biegun immediately took responsibility.

“I was fooled,” he told the L.A. Times in a report published Thursday. “No one's going to beat me up more than I beat myself up for setting up the governor like that.”

The leaked stories about Ms. Palin's alleged antics throughout the campaign are appearing in publications that include Newsweek magazine and the New York Times just as Republicans begin meeting Thursday in Virginia to discuss the future of the party.

Many in the party's right wing are enthralled by Ms. Palin and her socially conservative views, and hope to make her a presidential candidate in 2012.

“I'm not doing this for naught,” Ms. Palin said recently when asked about her aspirations.

Yet soon after she was chosen Mr. McCain's running mate and despite publicly defending her, his campaign insiders say they became queasy with the growing knowledge that Ms. Palin was desperately unqualified and ill-prepared to be a heartbeat away from the presidency.

They attempted to bring her up to speed on the issues of the day, but she refused any efforts to prepare her for a string of disastrous interviews with CBS's Katie Couric that proved extremely damaging to the McCain campaign.

The McCain insiders have told various news organizations that Ms. Palin nonetheless threw angry temper tantrums over their mishandling of her when the Couric interviews went badly.

The most salacious of the stories leaked — with many more supposedly still to come in the days to follow — involve Ms. Palin's infamous US$150,000 spending spree at some of the most expensive stores in the United States.

Despite her self-styled image as a down-home working mother opposed to big government spending, the aides told Newsweek she behaved like anything but: spending tens of thousands of dollars more than the US$150,000 originally reported on clothing, accessories and luggage for herself and her family.

One senior aide told the magazine that she was told to buy three suits for the Republican National Convention and hire a stylist, but instead, the vice-presidential nominee began amassing costly goods from stores like Saks Fifth Avenue and Neiman Marcus.

At one point during the campaign, Ms. Palin's youngest daughter, seven-year-old Piper, was photographed carrying a US$790 Louis Vuitton bag.

Two sources told Newsweek the goods were bought by a wealthy donor, who was flabbergasted when he saw the bills. Ms. Palin also allegedly instructed low-level staffers to buy her clothes on their credit cards, something the McCain campaign only discovered last week when the aides sought reimbursement.

Ms. Palin aides had a different version of events, with several telling the Los Angeles Times that she was outraged by the amount of money being spent on her clothing and that she was naive about what the clothes cost.

“The very first day of shopping, there was a $14,000 price tag and . . . she was absolutely shocked,” one of the Palin insiders said.

Another told Newsweek: “Gov. Palin was not directing staffers to put anything on their personal credit cards, and anything that staffers put on their credit cards has been reimbursed, like an expense.”

On Wednesday in Phoenix, Ms. Palin said: “There is absolutely no diva in me.”

Nonetheless, a Republican party lawyer is reportedly heading to Alaska to inventory and retrieve the clothes still in Ms. Palin's possession.

The tensions between the two camps reportedly continued even into election night, when Ms. Palin met Mr. McCain at the Biltmore hotel in Phoenix with a concession speech in hand that she wanted to deliver before he took to the podium to address supporters.

Much to her chagrin, she was told by senior Mr. McCain aides that such a speech would be inappropriate since vice-presidential nominees do not traditionally speak on election night.

The relationship between Ms. Palin and Mr. McCain, in fact, had deteriorated in the final days of the campaign to the point that they were seldom talking.

“I think it was a difficult relationship,” one top McCain campaign official told the New York Times. “McCain talked to her occasionally.”
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Wasilla hillbillies looting Neiman Marcus from coast to coast,

Socrates: "Good is That at which all things aim, If one knows what the good is, one will always do what is good." Brian: "Romanes eunt domus"
    GW 2013: "and juistin bieber is gay with me and we have 10 kids we live in u.s.a in the white house with obama"

Comment

Okay, I read the OP and I never did like Palin.

But seriously, a lot of that stuff in the OP's article smells like bull****. Palin can not be THAT dumb as some make her out to be in that article.
      A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

Originally posted by MrFun

But seriously, a lot of that stuff in the OP's article smells like bull****. Palin can not be THAT dumb as some make her out to be in that article.
        Are you serious?

It's quite clear she was way out of her league and clueless as ****. Did you ever watch any of her interviews...

It's from a reputable news organization...
        "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

Canadian tabloids.
          I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Originally posted by DanS
            Canadian tabloids.
            It's a Canadian Press report. It's been around since 1917 and is a private non-profit organization.

It's the Canadian version of the Associated Press.

Comment

Originally posted by Asher

Are you serious?

It's quite clear she was way out of her league and clueless as ****. Did you ever watch any of her interviews...

It's from a reputable news organization...
              It's one thing to point out real instances where Palin has made a fool of herself, like in her interview with Katie Couric.

It's something entirely different when you believe every story that comes out about Palin and you automatically take its word for it simply because you already hate her.
              A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

Sarah Palin didn't know Africa was a continent, claim McCain aides

The recriminations on the Republican side have begun. And boy, if the first barrage is anything to go by, it's going to be nasty.

I've just watched Carl Cameron, the Fox News correspondent who covered the Republican ticket, regale anchor Shep Smith with a litany of complaints from unnamed John McCain aides about Sarah Palin.

The Alaska governor and vice-presidential candidate, according to their version, did not know that Africa was a continent, could not name all three countries in the North American Free Trade Agreement (that would be the US, Canada and Mexico) and declined to prep for her now infamous Katie Couric interview.

Furthermore, the McCain aides told Cameron that Mrs Palin threw tantrums over bad press reviews and was a shopaholic. He also reported that chief McCain foreign policy advisor Randy Sheunemann was fired late in the campaign for allegedly leaking details of the splits.

I don't see the report up on the Fox website tonight but there may be something there in the morning. Nonetheless, with Palin allies pushing her for a 2012 run, this is clearly explosive stuff and doubtless the harbinger of some serious bloodletting after the Barack Obama landslide.

It's not clear whether these "McCain aides" are going solo to try and protect their legacies. After all, the defeated candidate himself praised Mrs Palin as the future of the Republican party at his concession speech on Tuesday night.

Just one immediate question for the members of Team McCain who are now unloading to the media. If these reports are vaguely accurate, why was she okayed as running mate - a position that would have put her the proverbial heart-beat of a 72-year-old man away from the presidency - with virtually no vetting?

Comment

It will be interesting to see how this plays out. I would assume there must be a paper trail if all that excess really occured.

The future should also tell us. If she stays up in Alaska hunting moose in clothes from Nieman Marcus because the repugs really have a nasty taste in their mouthes, well a footnote is all she'll achieve.

That said I always take any news regarding her with a grain of salt. Feminists are definately out to get her because she is a successful woman that actually looks like a woman. They will stop at nothing to discredit her, one of the things I really like about SP.

If all this stuff turns out to be true however, well... forget her.
                  Long time member @ Apolyton
                  Civilization player since the dawn of time

Comment

It's one thing to point out real instances where Palin has made a fool of herself, like in her interview with Katie Couric.

It's something entirely different when you believe every story that comes out about Palin and you automatically take its word for it simply because you already hate her.
                    The story gets traced back to Carl Cameron on Fox News, of all places...

Sarah Palin 'did not know Africa was a continent', say aides

Sarah Palin spent "tens of thousands" more than the quoted $150,000 on clothes for the Republican campaign, met McCain aides in her hotel room dressed in nothing but a towel, and did not know Africa was a continent, according to new reports.

Fox news has reported that Mrs Palin did not understand that Africa was a continent, not a country, and did not know what countries were in the North American Free Trade Agreement.

In separate claims made in the latest issue of Newsweek magazine, the Republican vice presidential nominee was reported to have been told to buy three suits for the Republican convention, and to hire a stylist. Instead, she went on a spending spree in upmarket stores such as Saks Fifth Avenue and Neiman Marcus.

Quoting unnamed sources within the McCain camp, the magazine alleges that most of the clothes were bought by a wealthy donor, who "was shocked when he got the bill."

An angry aide described the shopping spree as "Wasilla hillbillies looting Neiman Marcus from coast to coast", and predicted that the truth would eventually come out when the Republican Party audits its books.

The magazine also claimed that Mrs Palin used low ranking staffers to buy some of the clothes on their credit cards, and that up to $40,000 was spent on clothes for her husband Todd.

A number of articles of clothing have been lost, the magazine states.

The disclosures are made in "How He Did It, 2008", in Newsweek's Special Election Project, a behind-the-scenes account of the presidential election produced the day after the polls closed.

The magazine also claims that at the GOP convention in St. Paul, when aides Steve Schmidt and Mark Salter went to her hotel room to brief her, Ms Palin walked into the room wearing only a towel, with another on her wet hair. She told them to chat to Todd, adding: "I'll be just a minute."

Other election revelations include that on the night Hillary Clinton officially lost the Democratic nomination, she enjoyed a long and friendly phone conversation with McCain.

"Clinton was actually on better terms with McCain than she was with Obama," reports the magazine. "Clinton and McCain had downed shots together on Senate junkets; they regarded each other as grizzled veterans of the political wars and shared a certain disdain for Obama as flashy and callow. "

Comment

Fox News
                      I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

What Sarah Palin didn't know, as reported by Fox's Carl Cameron

There WAS tension between John McCain staff members and Sarah Palin (as other news outlets previously reported), and part of it stemmed from some rather glaring gaps in what the governor of Alaska knew about the rest of the world.

Cameron, the Fox beat reporter for the Republican presidential ticket, said he had been told by unnamed sources -- and on the condition he not report the details during the campaign -- that Palin could not name all of the countries that are part of the North American Free Trade Agreement.

He did not mention which one (or ones) she whiffed on, but there are only three: Canada, the U.S. and Mexico.

Nor, according to Cameron, was Palin aware that Africa is a continent. (Perhaps she was hamstrung by the fact that no part of that land mass can be viewed from her homestate.)

Asked if she damaged the Republican ticket, Palin today expressed doubt. (See video below.)

Cameron also related that the anonymous McCain aides were frustrated that Palin blew off their suggestions that she put in a little prep time before her interview with CBS journalist Katie Couric. That sit-down in late September, it will be recalled, did not go so well for Palin.

(UPDATE: CNN has more on the dysfunction that marred the GOP presidential campaign. It reports that Randy Scheunemann, a senior foreign policy adviser to McCain who bonded with Palin while helping bring her up to speed for her debate with Joe Biden, was fired from the campaign last week for talking out of school with the media. It appears that tales of the conflict within the staff could well develop into a cottage industry.)

Comment

Yep... it seems like they are trying to set up Palin as the reason for the loss.
                          “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                          - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui

Yep... it seems like they are trying to set up Palin as the reason for the loss.
                            Yeah, I'm sure she had nothing to do with the loss.

Who are you kidding? She was the star of the republican ticket. She drew more people to her appearances, her debates got more ratings...she's one of the main reasons McCain lost. She's grossly incompetent, and to be honest...incredibly stupid. As a double whammy for McCain, it shows he has poor judgement.

Comment

and they are not far off... he would have probably lost anyway but if VP pick was right, it might have been a lot closer than it was...
                              Socrates: "Good is That at which all things aim, If one knows what the good is, one will always do what is good." Brian: "Romanes eunt domus"
                              GW 2013: "and juistin bieber is gay with me and we have 10 kids we live in u.s.a in the white house with obama"

Comment

Working...
                              X