Buglist and establishing bases in ocean and ocean trenches

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buglist and establishing bases in ocean and ocean trenches

In addition to the SMAC Academy buglist and the revised bug list in AC Creation, I would appreciate links to any other compilations of bugs.

Specifically, for SMAC (Mac version fully patched; SMAX installed), the manual (Chapter 3, Terrain, Oceans, p. 41 in my version - this may be a Windows version I picked up for a dollar) says: "Ocean and ocean trench squares can not support bases or be enhanced."

I've confirmed that ocean and ocean trench squares can not be enhanced. However, I have been able to establish bases in both ocean and ocean trench squares.

I would appreciate:

(1) links to comprehensive bug lists besides the SMAC Academy and the AC Creation lists.

(2) a verification about establishing bases in ocean and ocean trench squares. You can test with the ACDG5 2188 turn. Windows users won't be able to save it because it was generated on a Mac, but they'll be able to move sea formers around and establish sea bases with the sea colony pods.

(3) links to any post reporting that the poster was able to establish a sea base in SMAC on an ocean or ocean trench square.

Thanks!
    Unofficial SMAC/X Patches Version 1.0 @ Civilization Gaming Network

Re: Buglist and establishing bases in ocean and ocean trenches

Originally posted by vyeh
    In addition to the SMAC Academy buglist and the revised bug list in AC Creation, I would appreciate links to any other compilations of bugs.
    This thread, from the archives, is not exactly a bug list, but it's close. Unfortunately, the actual bug list (whose link appears in the first post of the above thread) no longer exists. Some of the bugs reported in the thread were fixed in subsequent patches.

Specifically, for SMAC (Mac version fully patched; SMAX installed), the manual (Chapter 3, Terrain, Oceans, p. 41 in my version - this may be a Windows version I picked up for a dollar) says: "Ocean and ocean trench squares can not support bases or be enhanced."

I've confirmed that ocean and ocean trench squares can not be enhanced. However, I have been able to establish bases in both ocean and ocean trench squares.

I would appreciate:

(1) links to comprehensive bug lists besides the SMAC Academy and the AC Creation lists.

(2) a verification about establishing bases in ocean and ocean trench squares. You can test with the ACDG5 2188 turn. Windows users won't be able to save it because it was generated on a Mac, but they'll be able to move sea formers around and establish sea bases with the sea colony pods.
    I loaded your save file and verified your understanding. I also remember building sea bases in ocean trenches in other games.

I was going to install an unpatched version of SMAC to see if the information in the manual was changed in a patch. Can't find my disc right now. I'll try this if the disc shows up.

(3) links to any post reporting that the poster was able to establish a sea base in SMAC on an ocean or ocean trench square.

Thanks!
    Petek
    "The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote."
    -- Kosh

Comment

Here is a link to another pseudo-buglist that is not from Apolyton

Into Alien Crossfire? It has been almost 10 years. Time to update your datalinks.
      Try out my Comprehensive Datalinks Update. Now v1.3!

Comment

Hi GooglyBoogly,

don't know if this is the right place to post this or not, but there is an error in the tutor.txt file, as follows:

#TREETIME
        #xs 300
        #caption Operations Director
        Now that our researchers have discovered $TECH0, our Formers
        can plant forests ('Shift+F' action key) in any square that is not arid
        or rocky. Forest squares produce two nutrients, one mineral, and one
        energy, so they are ideal for areas which are too hot or too cold
        for other uses.

FYI in case you were planning to address this file in your updated scripts.

D

Comment

I guess the error you are referring to is the "is not arid" restriction? It could also be that planting a forest has a tech requirement?
          I have never noticed Biogenetics being a requirement for forests, but I often play as the peacekeepers - and they start with it, so I could have just not noticed it until now.
          Into Alien Crossfire? It has been almost 10 years. Time to update your datalinks.

Comment

Unless you're using an alpha.txt or alphax.txt file designed by Darsan, the line governing planting forest is

Forest, None, ..., Disable, 4, Plant $STR0, F, Shift+F

So there is no requirement for forest. However, you need a former and the requirement for formers is Centauri Ecology.

The error is the "is not arid" restriction. Planting forests is my favorite for arid squares. If you cultivate farm, the arid square will produce one nutrient. If you plant forest, it will produce one nutrient and two minerals and one energy. And it takes the same amount of time.
            Unofficial SMAC/X Patches Version 1.0 @ Civilization Gaming Network

Comment

Originally posted by vyeh
              Forest, None, ..., Disable, 4, Plant $STR0, F, Shift+F

So there is no requirement for forest. However, you need a former and the requirement for formers is Centauri Ecology.

The error is the "is not arid" restriction. Planting forests is my favorite for arid squares. If you cultivate farm, the arid square will produce one nutrient. If you plant forest, it will produce one nutrient and two minerals and one energy. And it takes the same amount of time.
              To summarize slightly differently, the TREETIME quote is triggered when you discover the prerequisite tech for planting forests. This is OK in itself as the associated pop-up will only occur when the prerequisite tech is discovered, and unless someone assigns a prerequisite tech for planting forests, then this pop-up will never be activated.
              The real errors are that that the blurb says you can't plant forests in arid squares (they can be), and that forest squares produce 2/1/1 (when they actually produce 1/2/1).

D

Comment

I'm not sure it's a bug, but I can't find it mentioned in datalinks either.

It seems that Aki doesn't suffer the police penalty of FS Cybernetic.

It's probably logical since she is Aki so it's part of her profile.

Oh, and no, I haven't finished the Backbone yet
                With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

Umm in SMACX v2.0 (for windows) under the Faction profiles one of the bonuses for Aki is listed as:
                  Impunity to CYBERNETIC Penalty: Cybernetic social choice is 'rational' and not dissented by citizens.

Is this not present in your version of SMACX?

Comment

Well, I guess that is what happens having english as second lang.

I've played this damn game for some seven years and only noticed this today - this game has way too many details
                    With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

Working...
                    X