No announcement yet.

Lord of the Rings Online

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It also remains the best looking and sounding MMORPG on the market. DirectX 10 graphics and full OpenAL (X-Fi/EAX) support.
    Piss off. AoC farts in LOTRO's face when it comes to graphics and sound.

And you say you only played 2 hours of it? Fool.

Disappointed in you Asher, disappointed.
    be free

Comment

Originally posted by Asher
      That's what I thought, thanks. You assume any MMO that:
      Its level up by killing, ping the next plateau, level up again in a new area.

At 50 raid and wait for the expansion.

is an WoW clone. I take it you never played MMORPGs before WoW.

I think you really need to watch your phrasing. All of the stuff you mentioned would constitute an EQ clone, of which WoW is one but made substantially easier for casual players.

Your gripe seems to be all MMORPGs are the same, and that you think WoW is the best.

I don't agree at all, and I think that's a supremely superficial look at things.
      Nope you got it all wrong (as usual) , I realize they are all EQ like clones, and I have played a lot of MMO's.

But who does every developer want to emulate $$$ wise?

WoW not EQ.

So they make all the games like WoW. More or less.

Calling it a WoW clone or and EQ clone makes no difference in thee big picture. Because its all the same sh1t.

And the reason games like WoW do so well is because obviously folks like yourself like them.

And thats fine, enjoy yourself. But don't tell me LOTRO is the second coming of MMO's because it isn't. Its an EQ/WoW rehash, just like the vast majority of the rest of the MMO's out there.
      *"Winning is still the goal, and we cannot win if we lose (gawd, that was brilliant - you can quote me on that if you want. And con - I don't want to see that in your sig."- Beta

Comment

Originally posted by conmcb25

Nope you got it all wrong (as usual) , I realize they are all EQ like clones, and I have played a lot of MMO's.

But who does every developer want to emulate $$$ wise?

WoW not EQ.

So they make all the games like WoW. More or less.

Calling it a WoW clone or and EQ clone makes no difference in thee big picture. Because its all the same sh1t.
        I've asked you several times to explain why it's a "WoW" clone, and you haven't been able to say why.

And the reason games like WoW do so well is because obviously folks like yourself like them.

And thats fine, enjoy yourself. But don't tell me LOTRO is the second coming of MMO's because it isn't. Its an EQ/WoW rehash, just like the vast majority of the rest of the MMO's out there.
        I never said it was the "second coming of MMOs" -- don't lie, I don't take bull**** very well. Just that I'm playing it and I find it to be the best MMO on the market right now.

And if the reason games like WoW did so well because of "folks like me", why am I not subscribing to WoW and why am I subscribing to LOTRO? It's interesting that you are the person basically taking the argument that WoW is the best out of them and all others are just "clones", yet you claim that "folks like me" are the reasons WoW is so successful...how does that work? WoW was too shallow for me and the content didn't get refreshed enough, the game got stale and I moved on. LOTRO doesn't really have this problem due to the new content additions on a regular basis, plus some genuinely unique gameplay mechanics to keep it fresh between classes.
        "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
        Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Originally posted by FrostyBoy

Piss off. AoC farts in LOTRO's face when it comes to graphics and sound.

And you say you only played 2 hours of it? Fool.

Disappointed in you Asher, disappointed.
          Why am I not surprised that you take every opportunity to be wrong?

There's not even a DirectX 10 version of Age of Conan out -- it's all DirectX 9. The shadowing system is pathetic compared to LOTRO, as are the water effects and particle effects...

Age of Conan also uses the old, deprecated DirectSound drivers for audio, not OpenAL. SoundBlaster users need to use ALchemy to get the old-version of EAX working.
          "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

Here's an example.

Age of Conan "water"= oil slick:

LOTRO water = water:

Comment

Another thing in the LOTRO expansion coming out next month which looks to be very cool is Legendary Items:

The Mines of Moria expansion introduced Legendary Items into The Lord of the Rings OnlineTM. Legendary items advance by earning experience points. As you level, your legendary item can level as well. Legendary items can be reforged into more powerful versions of themselves as they progress.

Legendary items are found either through a chests at the completion of an instance or randomly off sentient monsters. Initially they are only identified as legendary items and the class and type of item. For example you may come across the Minstrel’s Dagger of the Third Age. Initially you will only be able to discern a few facts about the item such as DPS and any inherent bonus for the item type (e.g. the critical bonus common to all daggers).

Taking the item to a Forge master will reveal more information including the item’s unique legacies and bonuses unique to that item. Legacies can be increased and become more powerful as you level your Legendary item. Identifying the item also allows you to slot it in your item panel. From here you can see the current level of your item, it’s experience bar, legacies, and any relics you have available and those currently attached to the weapon. You can have up to six active legendary items slotted at once.

Every ten levels your legendary item will stop earning levels and its advancement bar will turn yellow and say “Reforge”. You must take the item back to the Forge Master to be reforge before it can gain any additional levels. Once reforged, any XP that had been earned after the bar turned yellow will be applied to the item. When reforging a legendary item the Forge Master can refund any legacy points you have spent or unslot any relics you have put in the item. Legendary items must be renamed before they can be reforged. A result window will open when the Forge Master has finished reforging the item. Here you’ll see any new legacies or improvements to exisiting legacies revealed by the reforging. Once the item reaches its maximum level the item’s XP bar will turn red and you will be unable to advance that item.

Legendary items can be traded and sold if you have not slotted them and begun to level them. Once slotted, the item is bound to you and cannot be sold, traded, or destroyed. However, it can be deconstructed. Any Legendary Item can be deconstructed, even items you do not want or need can be broken down into relics to slot into other legendary items. All legendary items can be deconstructed; even bound items. Higher level items will give the best results.

After deconstructing, you will receive relics which you can then set in other legendary items. You may also receive special items that can apply a certain amount of XP to another item. Up to 50% of the deconstructed item’s XP can be transferred in this manner. The actual amount is random.

Some quests in Eregion and Moria have rewards which give titles to your legendary item. These scrolls can also change the damage type of your weapon or add extra skills or extra damage buffs against specific monster types. Only one type of title can be applied to a weapon at a time. Scrolls are consumed on use.

Comment

I never said WoW was the best out there quite the contrary.

What I am saying is just about every MMO out there is trying to emulate the WoW model, hoping to emulate the dollars the WoW 800 lb gorilla is taking in.

They are all WoW clones because they are all "Themepark Games". Follow a quest path to the end game. Then Raid. And you could call it WoW clones or EQ clones or whatever. That genre of games is all essentially the same.

None of them are sandbox games like UO/ SWG Pre-CU or todays EVE Online which seems to be the only MMO out there swimming against the "Themepark Tide".

You will get no arguement from me. LOTRO is a down right beautiful game. And its gets great updated free content (What chapter they on now 14 or 15?), and the expansion looks interesting.

But in the end all those games are essentially the same game play wise, sure there are differences, but they all fit that "Themepark" genre.

If thats what you like then by all means enjoy yourself. I personally think they are just all slightly different rehashes of the same old thing............
                *"Winning is still the goal, and we cannot win if we lose (gawd, that was brilliant - you can quote me on that if you want. And con - I don't want to see that in your sig."- Beta

Comment

I'll agree that LOTRO is part of the same "family" of MMORPGs as EQ and WoW, but I would not say they are clones.

Just as I wouldn't say Command and Conquer was a clone of Warcraft, or Warcraft was a clone of Starcraft.

It's a sub-genre of MMORPGs. You're right that EVE is different (which I've tried myself for months, but couldn't get into it).

You "agreed" to the comment that I "may as well just play WoW", which I disagree with. There's many differences in implementation, even if they're both in the same sub-genre of MMORPGs.

Comment

Then lets agree to disagree.

Wow and LOTRO are the same game.

They just have a different wrapper, and one has a few more bells and whistles.

:yawn:

Comment

We don't agree, and that comment is remarkably stupid.

C&C and Starcraft aren't the same game with different wrappers and a "few more bells and whistles" either.

to you. Time for you to get lost before this stupidity sets me off.

Comment

Bite me Asher.

Ill get lost when I feel like getting lost.

Your personal attacks as usual don't contribute anything to the conversation, and your lack of knowledge about the genre is appalling.

But go ahead and live in your delusions

Comment

Answer me this:

If LOTRO is the best MMO out there, then why are there subscription numbers so low compared to WoW, and its a HUGE franchise name that has appeal worldwide......

Comment

Answer me this:

If LOTRO is the best MMO out there, then why are there subscription numbers so low compared to WoW, and its a HUGE franchise name that has appeal worldwide......
                            Same reason AC/DC has sold over 50 million albums -- sometimes bland and basic is the key to success.

Curious though, what are the latest LOTRO subscription numbers, since you apparently have them?

Comment

Bite me Asher.

Ill get lost when I feel like getting lost.

Your personal attacks as usual don't contribute anything to the conversation, and your lack of knowledge about the genre is appalling.

But go ahead and live in your delusions
                              You've contributed absolutely nothing to this thread but rhetoric and trolls.

You don't like the game and all MMORPGs are the same, fine -- **** off and stop posting. Christ.

Comment

I'd like to turn it around - why don't you tell us what you think makes LotRO better than WoW.

I shall look unfavourably on graphics based arguments. You mentioned better gameplay mechanics - good to hear more about those.

Comment

Working...
                                X