Disbanding one or more of your own cities

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Disbanding one or more of your own cities

I put one of these in MP, but thought I would mirror for a possible solution in Single Player?

Please post if you have any suggestions, I guess in SP I could use WB to remove the city

But not for MP

Thanks

Gramps
    Hi, I'm RAH and I'm a Benaholic.-rah

You can't do so in MP, of course. In SP, yes you could use Worldbuilder, there's no solution inside game rules.

The most effective way: declare war on a random AI nearby, and leave the city undefended but with large forces nearby to retake and raze it.
    <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
    I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Originally posted by snoopy369
      You can't do so in MP, of course. In SP, yes you could use Worldbuilder, there's no solution inside game rules.

The most effective way: declare war on a random AI nearby, and leave the city undefended but with large forces nearby to retake and raze it.
      Thanks
      Hi, I'm RAH and I'm a Benaholic.-rah

Comment

Is there any chance that I would lose reputation for razing cities?

Stupid question, but I had to ask.

Comment

Sometimes you can't raze cities, if you've taken them before and I think if the culture is mostly your own. Could be wrong on the 2nd part.

And yes, you lose rep with the civ who had the most culture in the city.
          I'm consitently stupid- Japher
          I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

Comment

You lose rep with any civ that had culture in the burned city, I believe. And, without remembering precisely why, I do remember not being allowed to raze a newly recaptured city that had mostly my culture. The city was in the tundra and my own cultural borders had reached its resource without owning that city so I wanted to raze it, but the "burn, baby, burn" button was greyed out and when I tried to press it I got a "nuh-uh-uh."

Is that right, Snoopy? Can you not burn down cities you culturally own cities upon recapture?
            No matter where you go, there you are. - Buckaroo Banzai
            "I played it [Civilization] for three months and then realised I hadn't done any work. In the end, I had to delete all the saved files and smash the CD." Iain Banks, author

Comment

Hmm, now that I think about it, I think that's correct, that if you 'retake' a city you don't get to raze it. Presumably to prevent just what I described above...

If it's a always-been-size-1 city, of course it will be autorazed... if it's a larger city, you may be stuck with it.
              <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
              I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

If you want to lose the city in order to lower upkeep the best solution is to give it to the barbs. If there are any nearby.
                You should empty the city and hope that the barbs would capture it. While waiting it is best to keep the city at size (to reduce upkeep) one and with no garrison of course.
                Quendelie axan!

Comment

Originally posted by snoopy369
                  Hmm, now that I think about it, I think that's correct, that if you 'retake' a city you don't get to raze it. Presumably to prevent just what I described above...

If it's a always-been-size-1 city, of course it will be autorazed... if it's a larger city, you may be stuck with it.
                  I don't think that just because it's a size 1 city that it will autoraze; You can have a size 1 city with 10 or more and it will not autoraze. I could be wrong, but that's the way I remember it.

Comment

If it has ever been above population size one or ever done the first culture radius pop (to the size of the BFC) then the city will not auto-raze. This comes not from analyzing code, but from repeated vulture-like waiting for a enemy city (usually barbarian) to become ready for scavenging.
                    If you aren't confused,
                    You don't understand.

Comment

Originally posted by eris
                      If it has ever been above population size one or ever done the first culture radius pop (to the size of the BFC) then the city will not auto-raze.
                      Culture doesn't matter, only population. I've had cities where the radius had expanded but were still only size one, yet they auto-razed when I captured them.

Comment

Eris; that was a Civ 3 rule that wasn't carried over to Civ 4.

Originally posted by eris
                        If it has ever been above population size one or ever done the first culture radius pop (to the size of the BFC) then the city will not auto-raze. This comes not from analyzing code, but from repeated vulture-like waiting for a enemy city (usually barbarian) to become ready for scavenging.
                        1st C3DG Term 7 Science Advisor 1st C3DG Term 8 Domestic Minister
                        Templar Science Minister
                        AI: I sure wish Jon would hurry up and complete his turn, he's been at it for over 1,200,000 milliseconds now.

Comment

Working...
                        X