Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rights to Company Name gives Auto-Rights to Domain name as well?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rights to Company Name gives Auto-Rights to Domain name as well?

China at it again.

Received what looks to be a legitimate email about a company claiming they own the trademark of the same name of our company. And because of that, they therefore own the rights to the domain name of the same name.

I told my boss its bull****.

But then again, I haven't been in the copyright loop for a while, things may have changed since I last remember.

Please tell me it's still bull****?
    be free

There was a period of time when, in fact, tons of commercial names were squatted on for profit, mostly in the late 90s and early 00s. Some of thise names were sold to their, um, logical owners for huge prices. (Most famous one I recall was mtv.com, though there were many such instances.)

I seem to recall a lawsuit resulting in such squatting being essentially outlawed, but I don't know whether that was a legal result (i.e. in a court of law) or some sort of agreement among WWW name registrars for the common good.

But I do know that there came a time (somewhere around 2000 iirc) when companies suddenly had recourse when someone without a legitimate association to the name in question could be forced to give up a contested URL in a given domain suffix (e.g. .com, generally considered the most desirable).

Having left corporate world over 3 years ago, I don't know the current status of this topic. And you're in Singapore, right? Sorry, I know even less about that.

Summary: While I don't have firm facts, I do think you should do some research.
    Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
    RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

Sounds lame. Though I think it would be a good idea to create a domain suffix in which that rule/law would apply.
      Monkey!!!

Comment

I call it bull****. Especially when the only notice is via an email - What? No lawyers or court hearings?!?

Comment

The right to the company name does give you the right to take a domain name, but this sounds like BS. They'd have already seized it if they could.

Comment

The right to the company name does give you the right to take a domain name,
            Bull****.

Comment

Working...
            X