Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dale/Snoopy PatchMod (Bug-fixes and more)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I put the CvGamecore.dll over the original one, Python and XML in CustomAssets.

Comment

• The CvGameCore.dll needs to be in customassets also, I think ... but really you're better off putting it all in as a mod rather than putting it in as a normal game. Safer, anyway.
      <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
      I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

• Originally posted by Refar
        I put the CvGamecore.dll over the original one, Python and XML in CustomAssets.
        Just set it up as you described, played your save, and the MM appeared in the west.

Comment

• Unless they changed something with Col, Overwriting the .dll and putting the rest in Custom Assets does work. If it didn't i would have a lot more trouble too.

-----

Yes now loas up the same save and send the MM back to East - it will still come back West.

Comment

• Hmm.... there's something very screwy with setting it up like that. Yes, I noticed the wierd behaviour, and that's not present when playing the mod as an actual mod.

I've done testing just now inside the mod as an actual mod (so C:\Program Files\Sid Meiers Colonization\Mods\PatchMod\) and it works there as intended.

As I recommended up top, I wouldn't put over original files just yet.

Comment

• Hmmm that's odd. Because in the other game (where i complained about coming back at "random" location) it worked in exactly the same setup...

But since the problem is not reproducible in the setup you suggested, it must be something on my side.

-----

I don't use mods (even if i play them) because i want all the games to be in the same Hall of Fame (mods will display they own listings).

Allways did it that way with BTS - even on modular - so i have some experience doing it.
              It causing trouble now is a bit odd.

Comment

• Only reason we suggest running it as a mod at the moment is during development. A lot of targets are moving at the moment. Later on, when everything is settled the last version will be a replacement of the original files, not a mod.

Comment

• And here i am again... Sorry... :-S

Cleaned out Custom Assets, reverted the original .dll from backup. Didn't reinstall but i am not as ****** as i look like - i am sure it's completely clean now.
                  Set it up as a Mod as you suggested in the first post.

Can't load up the old saves this way of course, but made a new game (A_New_World, Tiny) - still the same issue.

Save set up as before - MM in Europe. Send back West or East - allways arrive West.

-----

Two things left that are not exactly the same:
                  - My Game is installed on E:\Games\Civ4Col rather than C:\Program Files\
                  So Mod went to E:\Games\Civ4Col\Mods
                  - I loaded the mod via Mod = Mods\PatchMod from the .ini so i don't need to restart.

If these are causing the problem... then there is something brocken with gow the game accesses the files if not installed in default folders.

Comment

• If you are returning a ship back to the side of the map it came from, it should always end up in approx the same place it left. That is one of the core elements of Col gameplay and shouldn't be changed IMO. Hance, no third button.

Hmmm...I suppose you could create a founding father that gives more flexibility in sailing from Europe...being able to go north east, east, south east, north west, west, south west.

that reminds me, I noticed when looking through some of the code that you are suppose to also be able to sail north or south to get to Europe. Of course, some maps don't allow for that I think since the land blocks north and south. But does it work? Are there maps scripts out there that allow for north or south sailing to Europe?
                    Avoid COLONY RUSH on Galactic Civlizations II (both DL & DA) with my Slow Start Mod.
                    Finding Civ 4: Colonization too easy? Try my Ten Colonies challenge.

Comment

• Interesting that you have increased the prices fo horses. If I therefore mod the cost of wagon trains to add horses, that would perhaps address any wagon train balance problem.
                      Avoid COLONY RUSH on Galactic Civlizations II (both DL & DA) with my Slow Start Mod.

Comment

• Originally posted by Refar
                        And here i am again... Sorry... :-S

Cleaned out Custom Assets, reverted the original .dll from backup. Didn't reinstall but i am not as ****** as i look like - i am sure it's completely clean now.
                        Set it up as a Mod as you suggested in the first post.

Can't load up the old saves this way of course, but made a new game (A_New_World, Tiny) - still the same issue.

Save set up as before - MM in Europe. Send back West or East - allways arrive West.

-----

Two things left that are not exactly the same:
                        - My Game is installed on E:\Games\Civ4Col rather than C:\Program Files\
                        So Mod went to E:\Games\Civ4Col\Mods
                        - I loaded the mod via Mod = Mods\PatchMod from the .ini so i don't need to restart.

If these are causing the problem... then there is something brocken with gow the game accesses the files if not installed in default folders.
                        Will look at it later (at work now). It's wierd that it's doing this, I tested this pretty extensively.

And I have my setup as C:\Games\.... and load from a modified shortcut on the desktop, so I wouldn't point at those things causing an issue.

Comment

• Originally posted by The Rusty Gamer
                          If you are returning a ship back to the side of the map it came from, it should always end up in approx the same place it left. That is one of the core elements of Col gameplay and shouldn't be changed IMO. Hance, no third button.

Hmmm...I suppose you could create a founding father that gives more flexibility in sailing from Europe...being able to go north east, east, south east, north west, west, south west.

that reminds me, I noticed when looking through some of the code that you are suppose to also be able to sail north or south to get to Europe. Of course, some maps don't allow for that I think since the land blocks north and south. But does it work? Are there maps scripts out there that allow for north or south sailing to Europe?
                          Yeah, I'll be changing it back so if you return to the same side, you return to where you left. But if you switch sides (or first trip after being bought in Europe) then the ship will go to the average closeness to your colonies as it is doing now.

Comment

• Since you have increased the cost of horses, do you think it would be right, for game balance, to increase tool prices as well. I notice that the raw material (ore) has a higher price than the finished product (tools). This doesn't seem right to me. You can get more from selling ore than making the effort of turning it into tools first. Either increase tool price or decrease ore price or a mixture of both. As long as the buying/selling price of tools is more than ore, that seems right to me.

Comment

• Since you have increased the cost of horses, do you think it would be right, for game balance, to increase tool prices as well. I notice that the raw material (ore) has a higher price than the finished product (tools). This doesn't seem right to me. You can get more from selling ore than making the effort of turning it into tools first.
                              Ore should be lower, like in the original game, both wood and ore were nearly worthless in Europe. Tools should be higher, maybe like horses and surely lower than muskets.

Now that horses are more expensive a good way to get money and troops is lost. Wouldn't this make the game much harder, less things to trade with indians and the need for the pesky ranch.

Maybe now it will be better to have foot troops than dragoons?

Comment

• Originally posted by Dale Will look at it later (at work now). It's wierd that it's doing this, I tested this pretty extensively.
                                I am really very sure, i set it up now exactly like you recommend.
                                I wouldnt bother you in the first place if i wouldn't be fairly certain that nothing i did - at least as far as i am aware of - causing the trouble.

I think it is somehing with the World generation process - perhaps something got screwed up when the map was generated.

I also wonder if someone else run into this. No one say something, but then again - i think most of the time people play at one coast... Might go unnoticed in many games...
                                (I wouln't notice too, but i started experimenting, because on the one map i was playing, where it actually worked the ship come back in the unexpected spot)

----

Could someone else please try this - its really fast:

Create a Tiny "A_New_World" Map.
                                Play as Dutch with the Merchantman.
                                Sail west (Drop the 2 dudes you have out, if you happen to hit land, i think it doesn't matter.)

Once you found the west passage to europe send the MM back home.
                                When it arrives in Europe, Save.

Now from that savegame, send the Ship back using the button on top, wait till it arrives.

The reload and send it back with the button on the bottom, and wait till it arrives.

For me it arrives both times on the same side.

Comment

Working...
                                X