Fantasy football advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fantasy football advice

I drafted Brady round 1. I'm 0-3. I need help.

I've got Turner, Parker, Ronnie Brown and McGahee at RB.

Parkers hurt. Brown's on bye. McGahee is in a three way timeshare with a huge TD vulture. Turner's sched is about to get hard.

In the short term, I need a RB this week. In my league we're limited to 4 RB on roster.

The guy I play this week as Westbrook -- should I:

1) start Turner and McGahee
    2) drop McGahee pick up Buckhalter
    3) drop McGahee pick up Slaton
    4) drop McGahee pick up Mendenhall

I think Mendenhall is the safe play as it handcuffs Parker for me, but I hate his matchup this week (and I need to win now) and he hasn't looked very good when he has seen the field.

Slaton has the most upside I think, and may end up being a top 15 back from here out. But, he could suck -- he's a Texan and a rookie after all.

Buckhalter has the nice denial factor this week -- I'm sure my opponent will target him if I don't take him. If Westbrook is out for any length of time, Buckhalter will be huge. However, the severity of Westbrook's ankle is a huge unknown and if he plays much, Buckhalter is a bad choice.

Thoughts? My gut tells me to go with Slaton. Buckhalter feels like too much of a gamble and I'm not sure that Mendenhall wouldn't end up in a timeshare if Parker is out for a while.
    The undeserving maintain power by promoting hysteria.

Are you more concerned with this week, or long-term return?

I assume you don't feel you can swing a trade...
    Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
    RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

This move is primarily concerned with getting a win right now, but obviously future value is somewhat important. Trading is very difficult in my league due to draconian roster limits -- it's nearly impossible to trade a QB for a RB straight up, for example, it pretty much as to be QB/RB for QB/RB.

Long term, I'm actually best positioned at RB -- Turner, Brown and Parker are all decent enough starters when healthy, although I predict a big dropoff for Turner going forward (no more lions and chiefs on the sched). We start two QBs and I'm hurting very badly after the loss of Brady: Cassel, Kitna, and Schaub. My plan is actually to package Turner or Brown with Schaub for a QB upgrade and a high upside RB next week after some bye issues work out.

Comment

I picked up Buckhalter due to Willie Parker being hurt. I suggest you do the same, if he's available.
        "I predict your ignore will rival Ben's" - Ecofarm
        ^ The Poly equivalent of:
        "I hope you can see this 'cause I'm [flipping you off] as hard as I can" - Ignignokt the Mooninite

Comment

He's available, I guess that's probably what I'll do, I'm just worried Westbrook isn't hurt that badly.

Comment

For a one-week solution, I want to recommend Mendenhall with FWP out this week, but Baltimore's dfense has been really good so far. Still, the kid will get a chance to show what he's got.

Houston's at home against the undersized, Sanders-free Colts defense, so Slaton has the easer matchup.

Re Buckhalter:
            NFL.com's Adam Schefter was at the Eagles' facility Wednesday and observed that Brian Westbrook's ankle is "sore, but not swollen."
            This would seemingly rule out a high ankle sprain. Westbrook is reportedly walking without an obvious limp and intends to try practicing late this week.
            Source: NFL.com
            I wouldn't go with Buckhalter.

Your QB list is pretty sad. Do you have any waiver wire options there?
            RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

start Turner and pick up the TD vulture for Bal or pick up Slaton (who is Hou playin?)

Comment

Houston plays Indy
                Steelers play Baltimore

Comment

Slaton then fer sure

Comment

Of the options you listed, 1) start Turner and McGahee.
                    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                    "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                    He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Update from Pittsburgh beat writer:

Steelers beat reporter Ed Bouchette confirms an AP report that Willie Parker (knee sprain) is likely to miss Weeks 4 and 5.
                      Rashard Mendenhall will start both games (vs. BAL, @ JAX) with Mewelde Moore playing on third downs. FB Carey Davis may be in the mix for goal-line carries, although if Mendenhall plays well it seems unlikely that he'd sub out in scoring position. FWP figures to return after Pittsburgh's Week 6 bye.
                      Source: Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
                      I'm leaning toward Mendenhall if he's getting 2 starts. Plus you get the handcuff.

Comment

I think it's down to Mendenhall or Slaton. Probably go with Mendenhall.

I'm pretty sure Westbrook will play and get 75% or so of the touches, so Buckhalter is a gamble. McGahee will get like 50% of the touches, but not on the goalline, so he's out, plus, he's in the doghouse with the organization, so he could be benched at any point.

QB-wise: tell me about it. Complete disaster. After I drafted Brady, I didn't draft another until Schaub very late. Since we have a 10 team league and start two QBs, the pickings are very very slim on the FA front.

Orton
                        Ryan (but I have Turner, don't want to depend on the entire Falcons O)
                        KC QB disaster area
                        T. Green
                        Flacco
                        Collins

That's about it on the waiver wire. I'll probably pick up Collins this week -- he may be decent going forward, at least compared to my other stiffs.

Comment

I went with Mendenhall, missed out on Collins, so Orton is my bye week QB replacement (looking good right now at the end of the 3rd quarter of the sunday night game).

I'll let you all know how it turns out -- I'm currently 8 points behind: my opponent has McNabb going, then he's done. I have Orton going and Mendenhall tomorrow. Right now, I'm hoping they keep Donovan out of the endzone and Orton just doesn't throw another pick. If I'm behind by 10 or less, I think I've got a shot. I think Mendenhall might be able to get 40 yards a TD.

Comment

Keep this in mind, Philly is passing because they're down to 3rd string RB. McNabb has the opportunity to shine.
                            Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                            "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                            He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

So, not that anyone actually cares -- but I'm down 10 with just Mendenhall left to go tonight. I already regret not going with Slaton -- he put up like 15 or so yesterday (80 rec TD, 30 or so rush)

Comment

Working...
                              X