SimCity 4 and Railroads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SimCity 4 and Railroads

I'm pretty much frustrated in getting train stations and railroads to work in SimCity 4 - both, freight stations for industry and passenger stations.

No matter how long they have been built alongside railroads, they always have zero usage.

How do you place train stations so that they work properly? The front-facing arrow for example when you select to build a station - does the front-facing part have to be connected to a road or a railroad? Does it matter which side of the station you run the railroad by?

Thanks for any help from fellow SimCity 4 players.
    A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

IIRC, the arrow does need to be towards the (automobile)road, but it does not matter how the railroad touches. But yes, it is difficult to get ridership on railroads, especially freight. Some tips, but I'm hardly a SimCity4 master:

Keep your stations far apart, or in separate cities. People like to ride long distances, they'll drive or bus shorter ones.

Have Bus Stations next to all passenger rail stations, and make sure bus stations serve as many buildings as possible through out your city. It sounds counter intuitive, since you'd think that if you busses go everywhere, people would just ride them. But what actually happens is they ride the bus, instead of driving, to the station, then ride the bus to from the station to work. People will generally only walk 5 tiles or so from mass transit to destination, so to get people on trains, you must either spam train stations, or provide bus transport.

For Freight stations, they won't be used near the edge of the city, the simulation will always just use the roads to get them off the landform as quickly as possible. Even in the center, it's hard to get high usage on them. The key thing is to make it easier to get goods to the station than to anywhere else. Also, industry buildings directly next to a railroad will use it automatically, no need for a freight station. If you have a railroad running through your industrial zones, they may will be shipping by train, but your station won't be used because it is superfluous.

Hope this helps a little.
    You've just proven signature advertising works!

Comment

Simtropolis is the bestest place for SimCity 4.
      The cake is NOT a lie. It's so delicious and moist.

The Weighted Companion Cube is cheating on you, that slut.

Comment

Do you have rush hour? I think there is a mod that fixes this problem.
        "

Comment

Originally posted by Seedle
          IIRC, the arrow does need to be towards the (automobile)road, but it does not matter how the railroad touches. But yes, it is difficult to get ridership on railroads, especially freight. Some tips, but I'm hardly a SimCity4 master:

Keep your stations far apart, or in separate cities. People like to ride long distances, they'll drive or bus shorter ones.

Have Bus Stations next to all passenger rail stations, and make sure bus stations serve as many buildings as possible through out your city. It sounds counter intuitive, since you'd think that if you busses go everywhere, people would just ride them. But what actually happens is they ride the bus, instead of driving, to the station, then ride the bus to from the station to work. People will generally only walk 5 tiles or so from mass transit to destination, so to get people on trains, you must either spam train stations, or provide bus transport.

For Freight stations, they won't be used near the edge of the city, the simulation will always just use the roads to get them off the landform as quickly as possible. Even in the center, it's hard to get high usage on them. The key thing is to make it easier to get goods to the station than to anywhere else. Also, industry buildings directly next to a railroad will use it automatically, no need for a freight station. If you have a railroad running through your industrial zones, they may will be shipping by train, but your station won't be used because it is superfluous.

Hope this helps a little.
          Okay. Your points make sense.

As for freight train stations being superfluous, this means that when I query on one and it says zero of its capacity is being used, that the industries are still using it anyway?

Comment

Originally posted by DRoseDARs
            Simtropolis is the bestest place for SimCity 4.
            ah

Comment

Originally posted by MrFun

Okay. Your points make sense.

As for freight train stations being superfluous, this means that when I query on one and it says zero of its capacity is being used, that the industries are still using it anyway?
              No, if the station is being used, it will display as such in the query. However, it is possible for industry to use the railroad without using the station. But to be clear, only buildings (not zones, but the individual buildings that pop up on zones) that touch the railroad on a side will use it without a station. For instance, if you have a 3x5 tile industrial zone, with roads on all sides except the top, which is railroad. A 3x3 building on the left end of the zone will use the railroad, as will the 2x2 building in the top-right corner. But the two little 1 tile shops in the bottom-right will not have railroad access.

About the only time a freight station is useful is if you query a road route not on the edge of your city and it says it has a lot of freight trucks using it. In that situation, a freight station either at the point of highest truck density, or on some major tributaries to the route you queried, may help.
              You've just proven signature advertising works!

Comment

Bus station and Parking Garages must be across the street from the station. Do not place them next to a train station.

Bus station/parking garages
                -----------------------------
                Street/road
                --------------------------------
                Train station

Comment

The last time I played I made a city that was like a big donut with forests in the middle. Around the forests ran raised-rails that connected to subways deeper into the city. It got a fair amount of traffic, and I enjoyed watching the little trains go around.
                  “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
                  "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Why are you bothering with this rubbish?

Just wait for the new one, CitiesXL. It'll be worth it.
                    be free

Comment

I can fix your problem.

try this and see what happens.

lay down a road about 12 tiles long,
                      then come down 3 tiles from the road and lay your rail line
                      then come down 3 tiles and lay the road u should have a box
                      14 tiles long and 6 tiles wide with e rail in the middle.

place your freight station in the middle with arrow facing road.
                      fill in the rest of tiles with industry.

do the same with residents except allow 4 tiles from road for station.

my freight is running around 5000
                      my residents around 8000
                      my subway around 8000

hope this helps
                      sootex

Comment

Five years ago..
                        "The DPRK is still in a state of war with the U.S. It's called a black out." - Che explaining why orbital nightime pictures of NK show few lights. Seriously.

Comment

I suck at this game, can't help much here.

Comment

Working...
                          X