X
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

a little suggestion, please give a better icon of Pirates to the next version, the current one is too blur. :P

Comment

Do you plan to add custom houses?
      Indifference is Bliss

Comment

Originally posted by N35t0r
        Do you plan to add custom houses?
        No, but I do plan to make warehouse expansion work better.

Comment

Cool.

I still haven't played that far, but if ti sells at 50% and ignores tax I'd call it useful.

I played with the pirates a bit and have a couple of comments/suggestions:

I'd have the pirate ship replace the caravel or merchantman, rather than the privateer, and have them be able to produce privateers as well. Also, remove hidden nationality from pirates and pirate ships: you shouldn't be able to plunder european settlements without fear of reprisal. Also, it's impossible to start next to natives as they will attack you as soon as you land...

Having them able to build new colonists from scratch makes them too overpowered... Even if they can't get skilled units from europe, you can take prisoners from other european ships.

Besides, all you need is to spam colonies in wooded areas and have them incrementally spam new pirates. You can then sell all those extra guns to the natives, and kick everyone to the sea.

Maybe add an european port for them to trade as well ('European Smugglers') with lower buy and higher sell prices, no option to purchase or train units, and only criminals, servants, colonists, and the occasional (armed) pirate available from crosses (could they be modded to skulls for the pirates?).

Then add treasure coves to their building list, and have new pirates spawn as cash gets added to them (as otherwise there is little else you can do with the cash.. maybe I'm missing something but I can't even buy buildings). Maybe with a delay, to avoid them being able to create large stacks from nothing, though that doesn't seem too far-fetched.. what if price goes up for each subsequent buy, but then goes down with time, like crosses and european immigrants? Maybe tie liberty bells in here?

They are also currently able to build FF points, but unable to stockpile any.

You should also restore them the ability to build most buildings. This would also allow them to do something useful with treasures.
          Indifference is Bliss

Comment

IF pirates were able to sell their cargo in European ports they essentially would be privateers, going to a nation which gave them their letter of marque.
            Just throwing a little reality stuff in the mix here.

Capturing colonists from other ships sounds like the way to go for a pirate 'civ', but it might take a bit longer for them to establishing a thriving colony.
            He who knows others is wise.
            He who knows himself is enlightened.
            -- Lao Tsu

SMAC(X) Marsscenario

Comment

That actually happened to me on my last game

There's absolutely nothing I can do with the cigars though... (Well, I can sell them to the natives for money, but I can't use that money for anything )
              Indifference is Bliss

Comment

Yes, something needs to be done about the Pirates to make them better to play.

Any ideas?

Comment

Dale,

On the One city start with the extra ship (except Pirates), the game is working pretty good through 150 turns. The Iroquois Declared War aganst the French and took Montreal. The French wanted me to join them, But 1) I had a colonist training in one of their villages and 2) my 2 veterans and cannons had not arrived yet.

I had noticed in a test game that if you get near Port Royal, that they send out the ships. They have about a pop of 9 or 10.
                  Flash
                  Ἐí ἀñ÷ῇ ἦí ὁ ëüãïò, êáὶ ὁ ëüãïò ἦí ðñὸò ôὸí èåüí, êáὶ èåὸò ἦí ὁ ëüãïò.
                  the Moderator of the World Creators

Comment

Not that I have found the feature yet, but according to the game guide money can be used to rush production? If that is in, I suppose the pirate's profit from selling goods could be used for that?

Originally posted by Dale

Any ideas?
                    Perhaps something on the letter of marque thought: let a pirate player be legitimate as the privateer of a King. The player would be able to sell goods in Europe then.
                    I suppose the difference with a normal colony would be that a pirate player can only gather goods by plunder, pillage and piracy. But can sell the loot in Europe under the auspices of his current letter of marque provider. A secondary trait could be that a player can "contact" another king to offer his services to change "ports of call" so to speak, perhaps because the profit from the loot decreases the more you bring in.
                    Last edited by GeoModder; October 7, 2008, 08:14.
                    He who knows others is wise.
                    He who knows himself is enlightened.
                    -- Lao Tsu

SMAC(X) Marsscenario

Comment

Originally posted by Dale

Any ideas?
                      First, I like the idea of 'European Smugglers'.

Here is some ideas:

*Buildings:

-Drinking House (in place of Church)
                      -Tavern (in place of Cathedral)
                      Those two produce Gold with Rum

-CatHouse (in place of Printing Press)
                      -Bordello (in place of Newspaper)
                      => YieldModifier Gold

-Governor Palace (in place of Townhall)
                      Produce Fame (*)

*Professions:

-Bartender
                      YIELD_GOLD
                      YIELD_RUM
                      SPECIALBUILDING_TAVERN

-Buccaneer
                      YIELD_FAME
                      YIELD_GOLD
                      SPECIALBUILDING_GOVERNOR_PALACE

(*) Fame can be raised too by pillaging cities or sunking enemy ships.

Use it if you think that it could be a good addition

Comment

Hi there,

thank you for your great work ... but seems I have encountered a bug ...

When I play Netherland and starting with that "Flyte" Everytime when I arrive in Europe all Icones are gone. So I couldn't buy or load anything , when I leave the harbor everything is back ... so seems when that Flyte Icone arrives in the harbor that refresh or show command for all the other icons have been forgotten. I hope that explaination helps.

I will try it with another nation ...

THX

Comment

.. no sorry happens with all nations ... without the AoDII no problems ...
                          I have the steam version with Blue Marble and Dale/Snoopy PatchMod both Integrated into the Mainprogramm ... all okay but when I activate the MoDII ... I couldn't load anything in the harbor of Europe (apart from settlers - load all) all other buttons are gone, at the point when a ship "sprite" is in the harbor ... when two ships are in the harbor, you could only see alway ONE ...
                          ANYONE A CLUE ?
                          THX

Comment

Originally posted by FlashAron
                            .. no sorry happens with all nations ... without the AoDII no problems ...
                            I have the steam version with Blue Marble and Dale/Snoopy PatchMod both Integrated into the Mainprogramm ... all okay but when I activate the MoDII ... I couldn't load anything in the harbor of Europe (apart from settlers - load all) all other buttons are gone, at the point when a ship "sprite" is in the harbor ... when two ships are in the harbor, you could only see alway ONE ...
                            ANYONE A CLUE ?
                            THX
                            That happens with ANY ship? That's strange. I would expect the Fluyt to maybe throw a problem since that's one of the ships I added, but not all. Must be something unique to your installation then.

Anyways, I'll be uploading a new version soon (in the next 12-24 hours). When that is up give it a try and see if the problem persists.

Comment

I've added some screenshots to the first page of the thread under the changlist.

Comment

AoDII v1.01 posted!

Please see the first post for updated changlog and download.

Comment

Working...
                                X