Btw, I am a PHD student now.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Btw, I am a PHD student now.

It wasn't a big accomplishement, because there weren't many eager to study.

Apart from that, I'm finishing preparing my papers for Paris studies. I've written my "program / plan of studies" which consists in 1/3 of explaining who am I and what am I writing my thesis about, 1/3 of listing seminaires in EHESS I wish to attend, and in 1/3 about my PHD studies and that I wanna meet professors Micheau and Troupeau or some another Paris institution (INALCO).
    So it sort of sucks. Yet I hope they will let me go.
    "I realise I hold the key to freedom,
    I cannot let my life be ruled by threads" The Web Frogs
    Middle East!

Best of luck. Education is one of the critical keys to success.

Comment

Congratulations and best of luck...
      <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
      I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Good luck!!

How long it usually take to complete your PHD?
        bleh

Comment

I think most that aren't non-experimental sciences take <6 years.

JM
          (6 years and ongoing)
          Jon Miller-
          I AM.CANADIAN
          GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

jon MILLER

Jon has to do odd writing jobs apparently to get by in grad school

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/strategy/...icks&tag=picks;title;5

JON MILLER

-----
            Jon Miller

Comment

Originally posted by snoopy369
              Congratulations and best of luck...
              What he said
              Hi, I'm RAH and I'm a Benaholic.-rah

Comment

Know what PHD stands for? Piled High and Deep.

Good luck.
                Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. - Ben Franklin
                Iain Banks missed deadline due to Civ | The eyes are the groin of the head. - Dwight Schrute.
                One more turn .... One more turn .... | WWTSD

Comment

Good luck

What is EHSS?

Comment

Studies last 4 years.
                    EHESS is a prestigeous french institution, one of french Grand Establishments. Teh best french historians, sociologues, antropologues etc used to be profesors there.

Thanks all.

I'm having much troubles. While I was having doubts about it, I applied for a place in the PHD students' bourse (??). I live 350 kms from Warsaw, and according to the rules I should be sure to get it, and if I don't, I should receive some money for accomodation. Therefore I hoped I will get it. I did not apply for a normal bourse, which I could be almost sure to get, but this one. It was a mistake; my exam was very late, I still ain't a PHD student officially, and it won't be until a month or so when I will learn if I have accomodation there or not. And I have to live SOMEWHERE, so I have to search for some room. And it's very late, it will be hard, and the prices will be high. I know what I'm talking about, I was going through that already.
                    This sucks so much, I hate searching for a house with a family, old lady or whoever, especially since the room will probably stink anyway. Lord, it should be easier. By the start of new year you should know if You get something or not. How can I wait a month or more until I get one without any certainty, or even with it? How can I study like this? Where should I go?
                    ##*@)#@)#@)@#
                    btw, I applied for it a long time ago.

But they are waiting for old dwellers to resign, then they let some in, wait if they stay, and if they don't - I have a chance. If I knew how it works I wouldn't have bothered. I could get a regular bourse, or rent a room. Now it will be much harder to do.

When I have troubles finding a room I really feel Maslow was right that need of shelter is the second most basic human need.

I have other troubles as well. Furniture was left from my old room. I've told my dad not to buy it, or not to buy that much of it, because we'll have troubles when I move out. But he didn't listen, and now hell knows what to do with it. We have to take it somehow 350 kms to my home city, put it somewhere (where?) and stuff....

World sucks.
                    "I realise I hold the key to freedom,
                    I cannot let my life be ruled by threads" The Web Frogs
                    Middle East!

Comment

Good Luck!

"It wasn't a big accomplishement, because there weren't many eager to study."

Blah

Comment

Good luck with it the length of those dissertations are a nightmare.

On the topic of PHDs would anybody consider one in chemistry worthwhile ?
                        Currently just have a BSC 1st hons in applied chemistry (basically abit of everything) and i recently had some old classmates asking why i wasn't going onto doing a PHD although i'm hesitant to consider it due to the length of them and from what i've seen not that many great salary prospects in the science field here in the UK.
                        Learn to overcome the crass demands of flesh and bone, for they warp the matrix through which we perceive the world. Extend your awareness outward, beyond the self of body, to embrace the self of group and the self of humanity. The goals of the group and the greater race are transcendant, and to embrace them is to acheive enlightenment.

Comment

In the work force, a science PhD seems to be worth about 3-5 years experience. That means it probably isn't worth it unless you want to do something in which a PhD is a desired thing to have.

JM
                          Jon Miller-
                          I AM.CANADIAN
                          GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Originally posted by Jon Miller
                            I think most that aren't non-experimental sciences take <6 years.

JM
                            (6 years and ongoing)
                            Or you live in the UK and have a four year deadline to complete and submit your thesis.
                            Exult in your existence, because that very process has blundered unwittingly on its own negation. Only a small, local negation, to be sure: only one species, and only a minority of that species; but there lies hope. [...] Stand tall, Bipedal Ape. The shark may outswim you, the cheetah outrun you, the swift outfly you, the capuchin outclimb you, the elephant outpower you, the redwood outlast you. But you have the biggest gifts of all: the gift of understanding the ruthlessly cruel process that gave us all existence [and the] gift of revulsion against its implications.
                            -Richard Dawkins

Comment

After a 3 years BS degree?

So your PhDs only have 7 years or less of post high school education?

I admit that in the US 6 years and going is long. I didn't find a group in my first 3 years, and was very rusty after that, or I would have graduated at the 5.5 or 6 mark.

Anything under 5 is very rare though.

If we don't have any breaks, we mostly graduate at age 27 or so. Are you saying that you all graduate at <25 (if no breaks)?

If so, why does anyone from over there come here?

JM
                              Jon Miller-
                              I AM.CANADIAN

Comment

Working...
                              X