X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Technology can't solve all our problems

Which genius said that?

I mean how can we know until we try.
    Last edited by Heraclitus; September 18, 2008, 01:40.
    Modern man calls walking more quickly in the same direction down the same road “change.”
    The world, in the last three hundred years, has not changed except in that sense.
    The simple suggestion of a true change scandalizes and terrifies modern man. -Nicolás Gómez Dávila

Technology is evil, since man uses it only to become god-like.

Otoh, I'd rather agree with the threadititle.
    Blah

Comment

The problem of abortion is a good example.

Once you have artificial wombs, there is no need for abortion, the cell cluster/fetus/baby is merely transplanted to an artificial uterus when its time for its "birth" its given up for adoption. The state would even have an economic incentive to support such "discarded babies" since most western nations have sub replacement fertility which will cause big problems.

What about babies with severe genetic defects? Should they be aborted? No reason to, just flood their system with GE retroviruses and they become productive members of society.

Every problem can be solved with technology.
      Last edited by Heraclitus; September 17, 2008, 06:06.
      Modern man calls walking more quickly in the same direction down the same road “change.”
      The world, in the last three hundred years, has not changed except in that sense.
      The simple suggestion of a true change scandalizes and terrifies modern man. -Nicolás Gómez Dávila

Comment

Originally posted by BeBro
        Technology is evil, since man uses it only to become god-like.
        And why not? The guy who's supposed to be doing the job seems rather absent the last few centuries or if he isn't is pretty incompetent at the very least.

Comment

Originally posted by Heraclitus
          The problem of abortion is a good example.

Once you have artificial wombs, there is no need for abortion, the cell cluster/fetus/baby is merely transplanted to a artificial uterus when its time for its "birth" its given up for adoption. The state would even have an economic incentive to support such "discarded babies" since most western nations have sub replacement fertility which will cause big problems.
          I bet this deeply offends some religious feelings so you just created another problem

And why not?
          It's impossible to prove a negative, but I'm just sceptic that at some point we're all just 100% happy beings without any conflicts or problems, since technology solved all. At least not as long we're still humans like today, but maybe when we move on to startrek-like sexless-energyball-floating-through-time-and-space level of our existance.
          Blah

Comment

Re: Technology can't solve all our problems

Which genious said that?

I mean how can we know until we try.
            Tell me how will technology solves psychological traumas?
            How can it solve broken hearts?
            Loss of a beloved?

According to me, knowledge, not technology, should be able to solve most of our problems.
            The books that the world calls immoral are the books that show the world its own shame. Oscar Wilde.

Comment

And why not?
              Also, one could see problems and conflicts in some way as positive, since they drive the further search for knowledge and solutions to deal with them. If anything is perfect, there's no need to do that....
              Blah

Comment

I robot...

once you kill yourself (or die some other way) you will be technologically as advanced as the robot

it indeed solves everything... dinosaur tech.

other than that... what would life be without problems... if we don't have them we make them = teh human
                Socrates: "Good is That at which all things aim, If one knows what the good is, one will always do what is good." Brian: "Romanes eunt domus"
                GW 2013: "and juistin bieber is gay with me and we have 10 kids we live in u.s.a in the white house with obama"

Comment

I personally think technology ruled over man since teh beginning. Think about that:

Man invented tech. Man constantly tries to improve tech. Man invests lots and lots of his hard earned money into this (instead of into beer and sex). What more prove do we need that we're slaves of tech, having one purpose only, which is to act as catalysts in the evolution of technology??? Once it's done they put us in teh matrix
                  Blah

Comment

we are f**** stupid... but we knew that already
                    Socrates: "Good is That at which all things aim, If one knows what the good is, one will always do what is good." Brian: "Romanes eunt domus"
                    GW 2013: "and juistin bieber is gay with me and we have 10 kids we live in u.s.a in the white house with obama"

Comment

Re: Re: Technology can't solve all our problems

Originally posted by Dry

Tell me how will technology solves psychological traumas?
                      Option one
                      Nanotech
                      Some form of neurosurgery
                      perhaps special MMI circuitry to enhance the persons ability to deal with it

Option two:
                      Memory wipe

Originally posted by Dry
                      How can it solve broken hearts?
                      Loss of a beloved?
                      Option one:
                      Personality downloads and cloning that allow indefinite lifespans meaning no one has to die if they don't want to

Option two:
                      Memory wipe

Comment

memory wipe always

teh robot = teh dead

long live technological revolution

Comment

Also, one could see problems and conflicts in some way as positive, since they drive the further search for knowledge and solutions to deal with them. If anything is perfect, there's no need to do that....

I said technology can solve all our problems. I never said the number of our problems is finite.
                          Last edited by Heraclitus; September 17, 2008, 07:47.

Comment

Re: Re: Re: Technology can't solve all our problems

Option two:
                            Memory wipe
                            Equals avoiding, bypassing the problem, not solving it.

BTW: Isn't the forgetting the persons existence, not a second death?
                            Should we wipe our memory from all victims of wars, genocides,... ?

Option one:
                            Personality downloads and cloning that allow indefinite lifespans meaning no one has to die if they don't want to
                            Ohohooo, immortality...
                            Should we deviate from the topic and debate on immortality and its implications?
                            The books that the world calls immoral are the books that show the world its own shame. Oscar Wilde.

Comment

I bet this deeply offends some religious feelings so you just created another problem
                              I don't think it did.

Are there people in the world who protest at these:

See how far we've made it since the 1930's? Think about it they are only going to get better and better.

First premature born babies in the third trimester (which we already do on a regular basis), then babies born in the second trimester.

We also already implant cluster of cells into women, maybe a woman is a few days or weeks pregnant and who doesn't want a baby now but knows she will want one in a few years. She can have the embryo frozen then have it implanted years later, or have someone "adopt" the embryo.

So you see the technology will develop from baby down and from cell up until the line between fetus and baby will be arbitrary and the entire gestation can be achieved in the laboratory.

No one will have a problem with this, since they won't see it as "OMG Artificial womb work of the devil!" but will see it as the progress of medical technology in its ability to save tiny lives. Religious people use the advances of medical technology as a strong reason against abortion already. I can't see them being anything short of ecstatic about technology making their crazy rantings saner.

Comment

Working...
                              X