X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Real World Scenario

Um, ok, I am not an editor, but my question is for all those who are:

Is anyone planning on making a scenario of the current world situation? They had one for civ2 a long time ago, and I was just wondering if there will be one for ctp2.

Thnx all, and thnx to all those modders!!

Fairly easy to do, not planned at the moment... but not a bad idea, there is only one flaw with this... due to the limitation so far noted with the ctp2 scenario start parameters you could only create a scenario from one civ's perspective and be limited to that player... thus if from an american standpoint, you'd not have the choice to start as other civs... unless this can be remedied then the likelyhood is small since why create a scenario for one civ, when everyone wants to play someone different from it...

Omni

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by OmniGod on 12-09-2000 09:26 PM
      Fairly easy to do, not planned at the moment... but not a bad idea, there is only one flaw with this... due to the limitation so far noted with the ctp2 scenario start parameters you could only create a scenario from one civ's perspective and be limited to that player... thus if from an american standpoint, you'd not have the choice to start as other civs... unless this can be remedied then the likelyhood is small since why create a scenario for one civ, when everyone wants to play someone different from it...

Omni

Wow, I didn't know about this, that really stinks. Funny that you should answer my question Omni, because I was just thinking about you as I thought of this. Without your new map, it would not be worth making a 20th century scenario!!

The Scenario for civ2 was quite extensive and extremely fun. The turns incremented by months. The world was divided into 7 generalized groups (this was because you could only have 7 civs in civ2). Here was the Description:

"This scenario presents the world at the end of the 20th century, dividing the world into 7 generalized groups. The situation is ripe for nuclear proliferation, and the superpowers still possess enough warheads to devastate the planet. Can you conquer the globe, given a reasonable representation of the modern world? The American Navy reigns supreme, but the European Union is in a very strong position and the Russians possess a formidable army. For a real challenge, try playing the Third World."

These groups were:

China: Beijing, etc.

European Union: London, Munich, Rome, Madrid, Berlin, etc. But also, the European Union in this scenario held Cape Town (Africa), Perth, Melbourne, Sydney (Australia), Reykjavik (Iceland), and Nuuk (Greenland)

India: Delhi, Bombay, Madras, Calcutta, etc.

Middle Eastern: Baghdad, Tehran, Ashgabat, Ankara, Mecca, etc (Middle East). Cairo, Mogadishu, Rabat, etc (Africa).

Russia: Moscow, Kiev, St. Petersburg, Kirov, Volgograd, Nizhny, Irkutsk, Krasnoyarsk, Vladivostok, etc.

Third World: This was mostly comprised of South America and Africa - Mexico city, Brasilia, Sao Paulo, Buenos Aires, Panama, etc (South America). Kinshasa Dakar, Lagos, etc (Africa). Antananarivo (Madagascar). Bangkok, Jakarta, Ho Chi Minh (Indonesia).

United States: Washington, New York, Phoenix, Los Angeles, Toronto, Winnipeg, Quebec, Anchorage etc (North America). Tokyo (Japan). Jerusalem (Middle East).

These, of course, are not all the cities each nation held. However, I can give you a map/screenshot of the scenario and a list of all the cities for each nation. I think it would be cool to add an eighth nation (since ctp2 supports 8 races). The eighth could be the "Neutral Alliance" - Canada, Japan and Jerusalem. This would make the US not so strong (it was a bit powerful in the civ2 scenario) and add some more spice to things.

Timeline

[This message has been edited by Timeline (edited December 10, 2000).]

Comment

ah, triple post, now they are really going to kill me, sorry.

[This message has been edited by Timeline (edited December 09, 2000).]

Comment

Comment

If we were to undertake this... what nation/group of nations would be the primary focus for first release or would you suggest that we have 8 seperate releases... which in my mind is a whole heck of a lot or releases...??

Omni - doable, but very time consuming... would require 8 people starting with the same basic map, just changing first player from one nation to the next.. just so the scenario played out the same...

A triple post... don't push your luck

[This message has been edited by OmniGod (edited December 09, 2000).]

Comment

"Omni - doable, but very time consuming... would require 8 people starting with the same basic map, just changing first player from one nation to the next.. just so the scenario played out the same..."

So, are you saying you would have to create the scenario 8 times to have it so that any of those 8 nations can be first player? If that's the case, then all I can say is wow! That would be a load of work.

Isn't there any text file you can edit to change first player? If not, then maybe we can press Activision to correct this difficulty in -a future- patch?

Also, I think you would only need, oh maybe 3, nations as playable. Maybe the US, EU, and Russia?

Comment

Without a patch to correct the problem, I don't see another way.. but I've not checked it out completely yet, but it's something the mod guys would have to say.. Omni we gotcha the fix... build away... until that time, it's only a dream... maybe after 1st patch we'll take a look

Omni - unless YOU want to start now?

Comment

"maybe after 1st patch we'll take a look. Omni - unless YOU want to start now? "

Ha ha, no, I don't think so. I'm afriad I won't have any time to do too much in making this scenario , wish I did. I agree with you, no sense in rushing into it until the modders have a fix. I am sure this scenario for civ2 didn't come for years after the game's release, so I can wait. But you gotta admit, it was a very cool idea that guy had, whoever he was (or she).

Oh well, thnx for entertianing the idea Omni, and keep up the fine work.

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by OmniGod on 12-09-2000 09:26 PM
                    due to the limitation so far noted with the ctp2 scenario start parameters you could only create a scenario from one civ's perspective and be limited to that player
                    omni, i believe this only happens with over 8 civs.

if you try to do a 8 civ scenario, you wont have such problems...

Comment

I think Mark is right, Omni. There's an option in the cheat menu for player selection.

Comment

hmmmm.... let's give it a try then... what civs titles should I use?

Omni

Comment

I don't think those groupings are the best...

I think it is better to go by economic blocs and diplomatic pacts...

1. American - U.S. cities, Canadian, Mexican.

2. Latin American - Brasil, Argentina, Venezuela, Peru, etc.

3. European Union - Belgium (capital), France, England, Germany, Spain, Portugal, Italy, Greece, etc.

4. Commonwealth of Independent States - Russian Federation, Kazakhstan, Uzbekistan, Ukraine, Georgia, Armenia, etc.

5. Arab League - Egypt, Sudan, Iraq, Saudia Arabia, Somalia, Algeria, Libya, Lebanon, Yemen, Syria, etc.

6. China

7. India

8. The Asian members of APEC excluding China - Japan, Australia, Indonesia, Thailand, South Korea, Taiwan, Philippines, etc. (Maybe include other South Asia countries)

The African countries don't get much representation, but thats the way it is. If there were a ninth civilization, I'd say throw them in there in that spot, but since there isn't, I say just put Barbarian cities in for many of them. The only two countries that are getting ripped off in this are Nigeria and South Africa since they are the larger powers of Africa, but maybe with some compromising they could be included in one country or another.

I think this so-called "Third World" thing is ridiculous. Your grouping together a vast group of people from all over the globe that would never work together under any circumstances. And I resent Brasil being included in the Third World. There are in the list of the top 10 largest economies in the world. It's not fair to put them in the Third World especially since the Third World originally meant those who did not take sides in the Cold War and in fact Brasil did join the capitalists.
                          Dom Pedro II - 2nd and last Emperor of the Empire of Brazil (1831 - 1889).

I truly believe that America is the world's second chance. I only hope we get a third...

Comment

Dom Pedro II - "I think this so-called "Third World" thing is ridiculous. And I resent Brasil being included in the Third World. There are in the list of the top 10 largest economies in the world. It's not fair to put them in the Third World especially since the Third World originally meant those who did not take sides in the Cold War and in fact Brasil did join the capitalists."

Ha ha! Hey, You'll get no arguement from me!! I didn't put that scenario together (not that it was bad, just ... strange) But, somehow I knew that there would be some who would get offended by the grouping of Brasil into the so called 'Third World', Brazilians are very patriotic .

MarkG - "i believe this only happens with over 8 civs."

Cool! There ya go Omni, you have your fix hehe

It would be a big job Omni, and like I said, I wouldn't be able to help that much because of time restraints. Let's find out who would be interested in something like this. Anyone, interested in a scenario like this, Please say so here. If we get a few responses, we can start a new thread.

Oh, about Africa, SOMETHING will have to be there. Barbarians sounds like a nice idea, but you can't make treaties with them and they attack anyone (somewhat unlike the current situation LOL) Almost sounds like this should be that "Arab Alliance" Dom Pedro talked about to simulate terrorism and the unpredictability of Iraq LOL. SOMETHING has to go there or els you will have an open colonization area, which would give an advantage to the human player and also be unrealistic.

Timeline

Comment

Sorry Timeline..I've jumped... new thread... coming up as soon as we decide on the breakdown...

America - USA, Canada, Mexico + Israel (some people might take offense if it's in the Arab league)....
                              European Union - Europe
                              Commonwealth of Independent States - former USSR
                              Arab League - Arab Nations of Middle East + Egypt
                              China - China
                              Latin America - Mexico and South to Argentinia
                              APEC (or another name) - everone in the group cept China
                              African Alliance - Africa less Egypt

Personally I don't believe that India should be considered a superpower, like China and USA and thus lumped them into APEC... it will be a size advantage for them and maybe a military one... that remains to be seen...

Next q if there are no objections to the civs is who are the leaders... hey what can I say, I like to know who we are dealing with so their personalities can be set up and tinkered with if necessary...

Omni - once that's decided I'll start a new thread on the scenario, and get more opinions...
                              [This message has been edited by OmniGod (edited December 10, 2000).]

Comment

Working...
                              X