• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Commuter train collides with freight train in LA

Zkrib, hope everyone you know are ok.

Commuter train collides with freight train in LA
    5 minutes ago

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080912/...rain_collision;_ylt=AoDZw9WqHQ_u63dYMFm8fCZvzwcF

LOS ANGELES - A Metrolink commuter train collided with a freight train Friday, toppling one of the passenger cars onto its side.

ADVERTISEMENT

Firefighters battled a fire under part of the wreckage and pulled people from the Metrolink car, which was partly torn open.

"I'm sure there are injuries. I'm sure there are a lot of injuries," said Ron Haralson, an inspector with the Los Angles County Fire Department.

He said the trains collided at 4:32 p.m. in the Chatsworth area of the San Fernando Valley.
    Long time member @ Apolyton
    Civilization player since the dawn of time

I'm okay. I don't take the Metrolink. I take a light rail line.

But the judge of my buddies takes this train. I don't think he's at work today because his wife died in her sleep two days ago.

Man, this is awful.

Edit: Just checked with my buddy. As I had thought, his judge did not come in today.

Comment

It's a disgrace that these things are considered acceptable for Amtrak (which probably operates the commuter line).
      I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Amtrack also uses that line, but the train belongs to a regional entity called "Metrolink." It operates trains from Ventura down to San Diego.

Comment

But metrolink is probably operated by Amtrak. That's the way the commuter lines work here in DC.

Bottom line. If people die, dozens should be fired for negligence. Does anybody die in Japan? Fvck no. And their trains run all the time and carry millions.
          I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Originally posted by DanS
            But metrolink is probably operated by Amtrak. That's the way the commuter lines work here in DC.

Bottom line. If people die, dozens should be fired for negligence. Does anybody die in Japan? Fvck no. And their trains run all the time and carry millions.
            I tried to research this online, but Metrolink's homepage merely states emergency information is about to be posted.

Comment

That's tough for your pal.
              Long time member @ Apolyton
              Civilization player since the dawn of time

Comment

Originally posted by DanS
                1. D.C. isn't the rest of the country.

2. Less people die in train crashes than auto crashes.

3. If the GOP didn't oppose regulations, like they have in Japan, this very likely wouldn't have happened.
                Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

It doesn't have **** to do with regulations. Amtrak and the railroad industry are among the most heavily regulated in our economy. Adam Smith could wax eloquent about this.

But they're still fvcked up. When will people grasp that responsibility is the primary function? Regulation is just a way for left-leaners like you to feel good that they've done something to help the situation. Good management is all that matters.

Comment

Given how little our economy is regulated, that's not much of a standard to hold it to.
                    Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

The reason you don't have crashes like this in Japan and Europe is because most of their passenger lines are fully dedicated to that purpose, not shared with freight trains.
                      "The French caused the war [Persian Gulf war, 1991]" - Ned
                      "you people who bash Bush have no appreciation for one of the great presidents in our history." - Ned
                      "I wish I had gay sex in the boy scouts" - Dissident

Comment

Uh, plenty of railways are shared here in Belgium and I'm quite sure that's also the case in the Netherlands at least. There simply isn't the space for dedicated tracks.
                        DISCLAIMER: the author of the above written texts does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for any offence and insult; disrespect, arrogance and related forms of demeaning behaviour; discrimination based on race, gender, age, income class, body mass, living area, political voting-record, football fan-ship and musical preference; insensitivity towards material, emotional or spiritual distress; and attempted emotional or financial black-mailing, skirt-chasing or death-threats perceived by the reader of the said written texts.

Comment

Originally posted by Kontiki
                          The reason you don't have crashes like this in Japan and Europe is because most of their passenger lines are fully dedicated to that purpose, not shared with freight trains.
                          Ever here of the Amagasaki rail crash

Excessive speed appears to have been the most direct cause. According to the Aircraft and Railway Accidents Investigation Commission, the train entered a sharp curve at a speed of 108 kph, far exceeding the set limit of 70 kph, and derailed, causing the carriages to crash into an apartment block. Track marks suggest that the driver applied the emergency breaks just before the curve. The commission has not yet concluded why the train entered the curve at this excessive speed.

However, a widely circulated presumption is that the driver, 23 years old with 11 months’ experience on the job, was trying to recover a 90-second delay following a 40-metre overrun at the previous station.

As for indirect causes, the failure of the company to instal the new Automatic Train Stop (ATS) system and guard rails in time is the most cited by many train experts. Most urban commuter trains in Japan now operate with ATS, which automatically decelerates the train if it exceeds the speed limit. Some busy lines are equipped with the even more advanced Automatic Train Control (ATC) system.

JR West had recognised the need for ATS on this line and at the time of the accident was planning to install the system. During rush hours, trains operate every four to five minutes. The number of trains on the line, as well as their speed, have increased since privatisation. This increase was made in order to compete with another private railway line running nearly parallel to the JR West line. Having failed to make necessary safety investments prior to such an increase, the company cannot expect to avoid being blamed for putting profit before safety.
                          DanS likes to profit off other people's misery though.
                          I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
                          - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

Japanese railways were privatised in 1987... 1 serious accident every 2 decades isn't exactly a bad track record.
                            DISCLAIMER: the author of the above written texts does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for any offence and insult; disrespect, arrogance and related forms of demeaning behaviour; discrimination based on race, gender, age, income class, body mass, living area, political voting-record, football fan-ship and musical preference; insensitivity towards material, emotional or spiritual distress; and attempted emotional or financial black-mailing, skirt-chasing or death-threats perceived by the reader of the said written texts.

Comment

Originally posted by Colonâ„¢
                              Japanese railways were privatised in 1987... 1 serious accident every 2 decades isn't exactly a bad track record.
                              Do you contest the claim that the accident was caused by privatisation?
                              I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
                              - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

Working...
                              X