Bulgaria breaks hockey World Record!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bulgaria breaks hockey World Record!

Bulgaria gives up 139 shots on goal in 82-0 women's hockey loss ESPN.com news services Updated: September 10, 2008, 2:09 AM ET

There's the "agony of defeat." And then there's this women's ice hockey score from the European Olympic pre-qualifying tournament: Slovakia 82, Bulgaria 0. That's correct: 82 goals for Slovakia, none for Bulgaria. The International Ice Hockey Federation said the result, from a game played Saturday at the tournament in Liepaja, Latvia, set a record score for a women's IIHF-sanctioned event. It was not the all-time record for futility, however; that is still held by Thailand, which lost 92-0 to South Korea in the 1998 Asia-Oceania U18 Championship. Slovakia, which won all four of its games at the tournament, outshot Bulgaria 139-0, scoring on 58.9 percent of its shots on goal. Slovakia averaged one goal every 44 seconds. "We took it as training," Slovakia coach Miroslav Karafiat said after Saturday's game. Bulgaria trailed 7-0 after 5 minutes, 19-0 after 10 and 31-0 at the end of the first period. The drubbing capped a woeful showing for the Bulgarian women, who also lost 30-1 to Croatia and 41-0 to Italy in earlier games. Janka Culikova led Slovakia with 10 goals, while Martina Velickova scored nine. Fourteen different players scored at least one goal. Slovakia, which also beat Croatia, Latvia and Italy, advanced to another qualifying group with Germany, Kazakhstan and France. The winner will secure a spot at the 2010 Vancouver Olympics. Bulgaria was eliminated after scoring one goal and giving up conceding 192 in the tournament. The Slovakian men's team clinched its biggest ever victory against the Bulgarians 14 years ago when they won 20-0.
    It's the first time I heard that we have women's hockey team. I guess that we can be competitive if we play in a league with some Subsaharan countries.
    Quendelie axan!

That's nothing. You should've seen the Calgary versus Vancouver game to end the 07-08 NHL season.
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Making 57 saves isn't what it used to be.
      Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. - Ben Franklin
      Iain Banks missed deadline due to Civ | The eyes are the groin of the head. - Dwight Schrute.
      One more turn .... One more turn .... | WWTSD

Comment

I was very surprised that there are enough women that can skate so that they can form a hockey team.
        Then again I guess that not all of them could skate as the result suggests.
        Quendelie axan!

Comment

There's only two real women's hockey teams. Even they would lose a game versus most high school boy's teams. It's comical.
          "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

That's nothing. You should've seen the Calgary versus Vancouver game to end the 07-08 NHL season.
            I'm more particular to the one where Trevor Linden had two more goals than Iginla.

Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
            "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
            2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Kenobi

I'm more particular to the one where Trevor Linden had two more goals than Iginla.

You would be.

Was this game before or after Linden told Iginla, and I quote, "You're the best in the game"?

Comment

Well sure, Iginla had his nose so far up Linden's ass, I'm sure he was the best he'd ever had.
                Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Kenobi
                  Well sure, Iginla had his nose so far up Linden's ass, I'm sure he was the best he'd ever had.
                  Why is it that republicans are the most homoerotic?

Comment

It is true though. That top women's hockey teams (national teams) do lose to high school boys. It is, in fact, very pathetic. If you really think about it, it's not a question of being stronger, faster... what excuse do you have not beating a regular high school team? And I do mean very regular, against national team, they're like pros and stuff. I mean... they lose in every aspect of the game... speed, strength... even just team play, I mean they have difficulties with just basically keeping their game tight and following a strategy, like say let's play 2-1-2, well good luck with that. Or setting up a PP, it looks like some of the players don't know where they should even be most of the time, let alone if the game mixes up a bit. That has nothing to do with gender.

So yeah, I'd rather watch high school teams play. Then again, some of the games are quite good. U18 is already competitive and good, U20 is awesome, to me it's the next best thing after NHL. U20 international games that is.
                    In da butt.
                    "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
                    THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
                    "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

Shouldn't this be in the sports subform so I can ignore it?
                      Modern man calls walking more quickly in the same direction down the same road “change.”
                      The world, in the last three hundred years, has not changed except in that sense.
                      The simple suggestion of a true change scandalizes and terrifies modern man. -Nicolás Gómez Dávila

Comment

Working...
                      X