PolyCast #52: "Condensed Insanity"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PolyCast #52: "Condensed Insanity"

The title for the fifty-second episode of PolyCast, an official podcast of Apolyton Civilization Site (ACS), is true of any of its productions really. "Condensed Insanity" is now netcasting running 44m59s in length. Core panelits Daniel "DanQ" Quick, Makahlua, Imran Siddiqui and Annalee "Cartimandua" Barney are joined by returning guest co-host Ken "Impaler[WrG]" Ferland and first-time guest co-host Joe "joebreeves" Reeves.

PolyCast is a bi-weekly audio production of ACS is an ongoing effort to give the Civ community an interactive voice on game strategy; its sibling show ModCast focuses on Civ modding. To date, ACS is the only known community on the Web to produce its own Civ podcasts.
    Last edited by DanQ; October 19, 2008, 19:05.
    PolyCast Co-Host, Owner and Producer: entertaining | informing civ
    >> PolyCast (Civ strategy), ModCast (Civ modding), TurnCast (Civ multiplay); One More Turn Dramedy

Summary of Topics

- 05m33s | News
    New information on Civilization IV: Colonization, Electronic Arts drops takeover bid for Take-Two Interactive but looking at a new approach, and the reincarnation of MicroProse.
    - 19m54s | Senate
    Building certain improvements beyond the fat cross of Civilization IV cities, views on the infamous 'Warrior Rush' and founding a city on a resource.
    - 28m55s | Forum Talk
    Having more Great Person buildings, Civ4Col: jump right in or study, and having your cities produce nothing.

- Intro/Outro | Miscellaneous
    Just your average "Gaming God", Sid Meier.
    >> PolyCast (Civ strategy), ModCast (Civ modding), TurnCast (Civ multiplay); One More Turn Dramedy

Comment

September 6th??? is it me or are you 3 days late? lol
      DD - "No Good Deed Goes Unpunished"
      "Yesterday's History, Tomorrow's a Mystery & Today's a Gift, That's Why We Call It 'The Present' "

Comment

Listening to the episode now...
        Modern man calls walking more quickly in the same direction down the same road “change.”
        The world, in the last three hundred years, has not changed except in that sense.
        The simple suggestion of a true change scandalizes and terrifies modern man. -Nicolás Gómez Dávila

Comment

Actually you guys are not right on several points in the "cities produce nothing".

If you don't produce anything your cities can still grow and your workers can improve the terrain both can improve your economy to the point of being able to produce something.

Also city maintenance is not effected by the cities population.
          Modern man calls walking more quickly in the same direction down the same road “change.”
          The world, in the last three hundred years, has not changed except in that sense.
          The simple suggestion of a true change scandalizes and terrifies modern man. -Nicolás Gómez Dávila

Comment

They turn the LHC on tomorrow. I'll listen to this the day after.
            Long time member @ Apolyton
            Civilization player since the dawn of time

Comment

Originally posted by kniteowl
              September 6th??? is it me or are you 3 days late? lol
              2 days late actually (episode was published to the website very shortly before midnight EDT). September 6th is when it was intended to have been released and that's what I already had setup in template -- missed changing that. Release date changed on-site accordingly.

Originally posted by Heraclitus
              If you don't produce anything your cities can still grow and your workers can improve the terrain both can improve your economy to the point of being able to produce something.
              And more reason not to not produce anything in cities.

I went back and listened to this segment yet again, but I didn't pick up where one of us said that city maintenance is affected by a citiy's population. What minute/second mark is that at?

Originally posted by Lancer
              They turn the LHC on tomorrow. I'll listen to this the day after.
              'k.

Comment

Great episode, or greatest episode?
                XBox Live Gamertag: Sonic

derp derp derp

Comment

Originally posted by joebreeves
                  Great episode, or greatest episode?
                  The first I think.

Comment

Originally posted by Heraclitus
                    I believe it is.
                    Contraria sunt Complementa. -- Niels Bohr
                    Mods: SMAniaC (SMAC) & Planetfall (Civ4)

Comment

Originally posted by DanQ

The first I think.
                      Dang.
                      XBox Live Gamertag: Sonic

derp derp derp

Comment

Originally posted by Maniac

I believe it is.
                        It is?!?!

But wasn't city maintenance put there to kill ICS? Isn't it supposed to only go up with the number of cities you have and their distance from your capital?

This makes no sense, why would the game encourage underdeveloped cities?

Comment

The effect isn't that big. Getting an extra citizen does give you more benefit than they cost. Still, it does indeed seem silly they put in such an effect.
                          Contraria sunt Complementa. -- Niels Bohr
                          Mods: SMAniaC (SMAC) & Planetfall (Civ4)

Comment

Originally posted by joebreeves
                            Dang.
                            I don't think so -- recent competition has been considerable after all.

Comment

Working...
                            X