playing styles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• playing styles

OK, is anyone else out there like me? That is, a complete SOFTY who, while trying to play intelligently and trying to win (obviously) can't help but fight for the little guy, develop a fondness for certain units, etc. etc.
    In a recent game China was under attack by bad old India, and I ended up sending troops over to help China when she was on her knees. I even captured cities and then gave them back to the Chinese (who then frustratingly made little effort to defend them!!)
    I tend to make judgements about which players I think are "good" or "bad" and then work to support or oppose them respectively. In other words I play a very emotional and sentimentel game.
    Does anyone else do this (to any degree) or am I just goofY?

saving units

To continue: If a particular unit does something amazing - like kill loads of barbarians or something like that - I'll often post them to a nice safe high lookout where they can live out a happy retirement for the rest of the game.
    Apparently I think they're real little people or something....

Comment

I would say there are a few out there that do some of those things. Deciding one is good or not is probably just a matter of being mad at some action that you did not like. A perfectly normal reaction.

Giving towns back to a doom nation is not going to work, may as well raze them, unless they are where you can use them.

Comment

BTW if a unit does well and makes a leader, I will upgrade them and put them back in the action as I have seen them make a second leader with an upgrade.

Comment

i understand what you are saying. Im not really as sentimental as you, but attacking a former ally can be a bit harsh i think.

Also, the diplomacy gives the other civs more personality, which is nice, and i kind of tend to like the Civs having a close relation to you in the real world, in the game. If i play americans, i might feel like i have some kind of common cause with the english etc. Also, i can get pretty mad at civs that build cities on "my" territory (like really close to my border and far away from theirs just to tease me, of course they dont tease me but it can feel like it when you get robbed of a perfect location.

However, i almost never let this affect the way i play. It is a game after all, and the goal is to win, sort of. its not like Sím City Societies or the Sims, ehere the goal can be different (like creating a happy city vs a big one for example).

To summarize, some feelings for me too, but not that big feelings when playing.

And i also like to get the Wonders even though i dont need them, just as a trophy kind of...

Comment

I play a more practical (geopolitical) game. I tend to help out those nations that can help me out, at least until I'm the most powerful nation. Then I tend to make alliances with the third most powerful to prevent them from ganging up on me.
            I also find it fun to get the AI's to start to fight each other and wear themselves out while I plan to wipe them out in a turn or two. I dont get real sentimental about it but I do play it with a bit of attitude.
            As for units, successful ones get named (leader producers) . Most get upgraded or disbanded.
            * A true libertarian is an anarchist in denial.
            * If brute force isn't working you are not using enough.
            * The difference between Genius and stupidity is that Genius has a limit.
            * There are Lies, Damned Lies, and The Republican Party.

Comment

Working...
            X